Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handling the compliments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Handling the compliments

This has always been a problem for me. How to handle the compliments like "You are my hero", "You are so brave!" etc. etc.

Every time I hear one of these, my mind goes totally blank on how to react. I mean, I am just living my life. Living on wheelchair is hard, but I am no hero!

Tell me, how do you handle all this?

i tell people i am not a hero for living my life.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I tried that. The Response - Oh no no, you are soooo brave. You don't know. I wouldn't have been able to live like you are living.

Just say:

no, you are my hero

OR

then we're both brave because I wouldn't be caught dead wearing that outfit in public

Seriously though, it isn't worth thinking about. Just put it out of your mind as quickly as possible.

I just say nope, you got it wrong. But those peeps are better than the ones who accuse us of having it easy because we get to have a chair to get us around, and not have to do all that tiring walking and all.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I don't mind it, so long as the person giving the compliment is sincere. Take for instance, the 30 something blond who offered to help me with my chair getting into my car at the height of the Bush recession. Of course, I smiled, and said "I'm OK, thanks." When she started crying and saying to me..."How can YOU be OK? I lost my JOB! but you with a disability, you're ok?" I mean literally CRYING... "Yeah, I roll with it. But I'm between boyfriends right now girl, so don't get any ideas."

When it comes to people holding doors for me, or whatever, it pissed me off a bit. But I just tell myself I'm a Christian and I need to let THAT person go to Heaven. Also, if my injury had been two levels higher, I WOULD need help. So dig it

Oh by the way...I DO think we are braver than THEY are. We're just more modest about it

If someone says those things you could just say "you mean like Superman?".

I LOVE it

Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    If someone says those things you could just say "you mean like Superman?".