Thread: enough votes to override bush veto....

enough votes to override bush veto....

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Arlen Specter said Sunday that he believes the Senate has enough votes to override a threatened presidential veto of legislation easing restrictions on federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research, but a fellow Republican vowed to keep the bill from reaching the Senate floor.

"I've been taught a lot of lessons from the Democrats lately, so I've got some ideas on how one can get this done," Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, said on ABC's "This Week." "And I think it's important that we move forward."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/...lls/index.html

oops....darn liberals fault.

[This message was edited by DA on 05-29-05 at 05:54 PM.]

Sounds like Brownback's planning to filibuster (ie, learning from Democats). From the Chicago Tribune:

But, alas, Congress' new bipartisan stem-cell coalition won't get far if conservative hardliners have their way. Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.), who is considering a presidential run in 2008, threatened a filibuster. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.), another possible 2008 presidential contender, declined to comment right away.

Then there's Bush's veto threat. Unfortunately, the president refuses to trade those little-bitty unwanted embryonic stem cells for a chance to save the lives of the fully born. He consistently argues that it is downright immoral to trade one form of life to save others--except, of course, when he is talking about the death penalty.

"I happen to believe that the death penalty, when properly applied, saves lives of others," he said as recently as April 14. "And so I'm comfortable with my beliefs that there's no contradiction between the two." Nope, as long as you don't believe there's contradiction, you're not likely to see one.

That's our president. He's consistent, all right, even when he's consistently wrong.
    -Steven
    ...let's tell it how it is, and how it could be... how it was, and of course, how it should be

"I've been taught a lot of lessons from the Democrats lately, so I've got some ideas on how one can get this done," Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, said on ABC's "This Week." "And I think it's important that we move forward."
    That's an oxymoronic statement if I've ever heard one.

Dinner has been cancelled due to a lack of hustle. Deal with it.

A filibuster would be great! Let the stem cell story take center stage. Frist could even try to get his nuclear option out to try and stop the debate.

Originally posted by Steve Chiappa:

A filibuster would be great! Let the stem cell story take center stage. Frist could even try to get his nuclear option out to try and stop the debate.
    I agree. Keep it in the spotlight. It is slowing turning into an asc/esc war. The anti-esc groups will start massively supporting asc to prove they are right. vice-versa for the esc side.

DA your link doesn't work. Here's a few:

New York Times

Outside the Beltway

Medical News Today

"Rep. Michael Castle (R-Del.), who is the sponsor of HR 810, said there is "no way" that he could secure the 290 votes necessary for the House to override a veto, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. "I can't tell you what I've been through to get to 238 votes," Castle said, adding, "The concept of that many people changing their minds is not realistic. What is realistic is a strong vote in the Senate and to convince the president to change course because it's the right thing to do" (Epstein, San Francisco Chronicle, 5/26)."

The Senate may be able to override a presidential veto but, as Castle said, they are unlikely to get another 50 votes unless the American public really speaks up. This is one time when public opinion will really make a difference.

Wise.