Thread: SCI research using noninvasive brain stimulation

SCI research using noninvasive brain stimulation

Seeking Spinal Cord Injury Patients for Research Using Noninvasive Brain Stimulation

Published: April 2nd, 2011 | Source: neuromodulationlab.org

Participants must be 18-64 years of age with no history of schizophrenia, or alcohol or drug abuse within the last year.
    This study uses a technique called transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS). Testing will involve brain stimulation for a total of 16 visits. Research is being conducted at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, located in Boston, MA. You will be compensated $25 per visit for your participation, and parking will be reimbursed.
    For more information, please contact the Laboratory of Neuromodulation by phone at 617-573-2196 or by email at recruitment@neuromodulationlab.org.

tDCS open clinical trial for chronic SCI pain

Has anyone participated in any of the clinical trials using tDCS for SCI chronic pain? I'm surprised I don't see more about this treatment on these forums. Is anyone using it?
    I'm going to start this clinical trial next month (May, 2013)
    Spaulding-Harvard Model System: Effects of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) on Chronic Pain in Spinal Cord Injury
    http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01599767?term=NCT01599767&rank=1

Dr. Felipe Fregni with Spaulding Hospital had encouraging results for SCI pain in 2006, and is now conducting the current trials, also for SCI pain, including this one.
    It's my only hope, at this point. I'm T12 incomplete, and was doing great and walking until month 4. That's when the excrutiating, burning pain came on in both of my feet. It's been progressive, and is now 24/7, so I can hardly walk anymore. Sometimes I think I can't go on anymore, since nothing at all seems to give any relief, and I've tried everything.
    So I'm going for it, with fingers crossed, and if it helps me, I'll be screaming about it on these boards!