Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WE WON HR 810 PASSES 238-194

Nobody's fooling themselves Max.

Some of us have been working very hard on your behalf and others.

Every little victory helps. Your negativity does not.

DA, I agree.

A mother with diabetic children asked an Assemblman in Trenton last week what he wanted to do with the 200,000 frozen blastocysts that are being thrown away. He said that he was introducing a bill to save them. She asked him incredulously: "You would give up my children to try to save those frozen embryos that will be thrown away anyway?" He said yes. That is the crux of the debate. I don't question the integrity of those who believe that but I think that it is important that they understand the consequences of their action.

They are trying to salve their consciences but reassuring themselves that umbilical cord blood and bone marrow stem cells can do the same thing. But, unfortunately, they have failed to support such research as well. Belatedly, the House of Representatives passed the National Cord Blood Stem Cell Bank Network. The newspapers say that they are putting $79 million into that research but a look at the bill's language indicates that they are appropriating only "$15 million for fiscal year 2006, $30 million in fiscal year 2007, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 2008 through 2010 or until the 150,000 unit inventory is successfully acquired." There is no funds appropriated for umbilical cord blood research to make those cells applicable for treatment of genetic, neurological, and other conditions. The appropriated amount will pay only for the establishment of a registry and coordination of the network. It will not pay the costs of research, culturing or expansion of the stem cells, or the collection of the units. Thus, this is a bandaid that those who support adult stem cell research should not become complacent that this bill will significantly accelerate the availability of adult stem cells for treating patients within the coming several years.

In the meantime, multiple clinics in places like Dominican Republic, Turkey, Mexico, and other places are taking advantages of the stem cell fever and promising patients cures of their conditions with either umbilical cord blood or bone marrow stem cells. As we have seen, numerous individuals even on this site are going to or considering going to these clinics despite the lack of evidence or information concerning the efficacy of cord blood or bone marrow stem cell transplants on brain and spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Wise, the name of this assembleman
    needs to go direct to the newspapers.

The politicians need to be faced with their
    own words.

Joe

A mother with diabetic children asked an Assemblman in Trenton last week what he wanted to do with the 200,000 frozen blastocysts that are being thrown away. He said that he was introducing a bill to save them. She asked him incredulously: "You would give up my children to try to save those frozen embryos that will be thrown away anyway?" He said yes. That is the crux of the debate. I don't question the integrity of those who believe that but I think that it is important that they understand the consequences of their action.

They are trying to salve their consciences but reassuring themselves that umbilical cord blood and bone marrow stem cells can do the same thing. But, unfortunately, they have failed to support such research as well. Belatedly, the House of Representatives passed the National Cord Blood Stem Cell Bank Network. The newspapers say that they are putting $79 million into that research but a look at the bill's language indicates that they are appropriating only "$15 million for fiscal year 2006, $30 million in fiscal year 2007, and such sums as may be necessary for each of the fiscal years 2008 through 2010 or until the 150,000 unit inventory is successfully acquired." There is no funds appropriated for umbilical cord blood research to make those cells applicable for treatment of genetic, neurological, and other conditions. The appropriated amount will pay only for the establishment of a registry and coordination of the network. It will not pay the costs of research, culturing or expansion of the stem cells, or the collection of the units. Thus, this is a bandaid that those who support adult stem cell research should not become complacent that this bill will significantly accelerate the availability of adult stem cells for treating patients within the coming several years.

In the meantime, multiple clinics in places like Dominican Republic, Turkey, Mexico, and other places are taking advantages of the stem cell fever and promising patients cures of their conditions with either umbilical cord blood or bone marrow stem cells. As we have seen, numerous individuals even on this site are going to or considering going to these clinics despite the lack of evidence or information concerning the efficacy of cord blood or bone marrow stem cell transplants on brain and spinal cord injury.

Wise.

Originally posted by Obed:

Nobody's fooling themselves Max.

Some of us have been working very hard on your behalf and others.

Every little victory helps. Your negativity does not.
    Starting again, Chris Chappelle?

Everyone of us did something (according to our ability & resources) -even by signing petitions-not "some of us" well connected, self promoting egomaniacs

No need to divide carecure members on elite- "some of us hardworking" on "my behalf" Politbureau lol,... and others -average plebs.

Geez, how do you live with yourself all your life?

[This message was edited by Max on 05-25-05 at 05:10 PM.]

As we have seen, numerous individuals even on this site are going to or considering going to these clinics despite the lack of evidence or information concerning the efficacy of cord blood or bone marrow stem cell transplants on brain and spinal cord injury.
    So true. This just shows how desperate many SCI's are. Suicide, depression, and desperation are everyday facts of life for many.

I just wrote this to my right wing neocon nut job representative. He voted against the bill but I wrote him this anyway:

Thank you Mr. Kingston. As one of you constituents, I am pleased to learn that you have supported the Embryonic Stem Cell bill that has recently passed. I am deeply moved that you understand that these stem cells are possibilities; that they only have the possibility of life and are not life itself. I am glad that you know that among the possibilities that these cell offer is the hope of millions like me who watch their lives pass them by day by day trapped and imprisoned in their bodies. While the rest of the world including politicians, doctors, and even my loved ones go about their daily activities, there are those, like me and worst, who watch life pass away, missing all the possibilities that could have been. Thank you Mr. Kingston for fighting for those who suffer in terrible ways, every day. Thank you for knowing that the possibility of eventually perhaps having life is not, one in the same, as having life. Thank you for knowing that these basic cells only, at best, constitute a possibility rather than an actuality. Thank you for understanding that those cells that are being discarded by the thousands every day in IVF clinics can instead be used to provide hope and possibility for those who now see their dreams on the horizon,. Thanks to efforts like yours and other elected officials who are looking out for their constituents and their loved ones, there are those who's long arduous wait has just become a guarded bit better.

Its your world Max we're all just a part of it.

How can you find which reps voted for and against?
    Is there a website?

They were posted here, currently on page 2.

Roll Call Votes for 2005 can be found here.

-Steven
    ...how did it end up like this? it was only a kiss, it was only a kiss.

Chastev8,
    That is priceless! Do you think you could submit it to your local newspaper as a letter to the editor?

Sandi