Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are All Doctors A-Holes?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Are All Doctors A-Holes?

Okay, so I gave up the idea of ever having any kind of surgery to fix the rotator cuff tears in my shoulders (because I have NO-BODY to help me while I recover and don't have $$ to pay out of my pocket), and I got 3 surgeons who told me that there is no way insurance will pay....so I submit to the powers that be, relent and decide to get a power chair.

I contact my DME company, they tell me that they need a letter of necessity and medical records from the doctor. I contact my doctor re: the above. I just got a call from the doctor's office and I'm told that I get a prescription and medical records and THAT'S IT. He doesn't "DO" letters. WTF?

I'm really sick of this. Am I out of line for expecting this? I've never, ever experienced this in 16 years. Is this the future of our medical system? Who, these days CARES ABOUT THE PATIENT anymore?

I guess tomorrow I will call the DME and find out what to do next because I am floored by this response.

On the bright side of things, my left shoulder after weeks of PT is feeling much better, but the right shoulder (the bad one) is only a tiny bit better, but at least it's something.

In my experience the doctor writes the prescription and you make an appointment with a PT to write the letter of necessity and the doctor signs it.

What kind of insurance do you have that wont pay for surgery?

While I did not end up using it, I wrote my own LMN and my doctor signed it.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    Surgery would be paid for CARE AFTER WARDS is not. I spoke to my PT he won't write the letter either. I would not know how to write an LMN. I'm so sick of this kind of treatment. You would think I was asking for the moon and stars on a silver platter.

Many manufacturers post samples of LMNs on their websites. Maybe you could just tweak one a bit to fit your circumstances.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Ya, just find a form LMN on the net and give it to the doc to sign. But ya, I fully agree with you W/G, the future of medicine does not look at all. I've been running into the same sort of thing you have run up against. That Bob Segar song "Feel like a number" is true here. There are so many people in need or care and fewer and fewer providers, trying to get anything done seems near impossible these days, scary. I'm not feeling quite right myself and think it's a low grade UTI and trying to get through to the Urologists office is like trying to penetrate Ft. Knox. They have a bunch of different medical answering services that you have to get through to get ahold of anyone and then they call you back and tell you to call them back, lol. It's comical.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

The only doctor that pays attention to me is my Gastro. So no it doesn't surprise me

Many of my patients need letters.... We have some on file.... Many times they do bring them in based on what their insurance companies have stated.... I just sign them after reviewing them. But, I too do not start from scratch.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    Many of my patients need letters.... We have some on file.... Many times they do bring them in based on what their insurance companies have stated.... I just sign them after reviewing them. But, I too do not start from scratch.
    And in my 30+ years of experience, the doctor writing the letter of necessity and prescription is exactly what the insurance companies demand and expect. When I have told an insurance company that I know more about what I need than my doctor, they have gotten all pussy and bent out of shape and have refused to talk to me. They have expected my doctor to know and are absolutely incredulous when he doesn't know all the wheelchair, cushion, commode chairs etc. etc. etc out there. And now that I am on age related Medicare, well just forget it...they have their RULES!!! The powers that be help us under The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. We are doomed!!!

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    In my experience the doctor writes the prescription and you make an appointment with a PT to write the letter of necessity and the doctor signs it.
    This was my experience as well, and has been for most mobility aids ordered. The place that the aid is coming from (DME, PT, orthotist) wrote the letter and then just had the referring/prescribing physician sign it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.