Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pics of Me in my ZR

Quote Originally Posted by Essie View Post
    Hi T8!
    I have heard people say that to others in various posts but I do not know what it exactly means. Is it a function of dump or having the RSH and FSH lower? I do have more forward COG adjustablity (by moving the camber bar forward and/or flipping it). However, I am confused as to how this will make me sit in the chair more. Please explain (if you don't mind).
    E
    Dump is the difference between the FSH and RSH, I have a 4 inch dump in my chair. How much dump you need depends on a lot of things but in general if you don't have a lot of trunk stability (because of my injury level I have no ab muscles) having a lot of dump puts you more "in" the chair. If I had no dump I would not be able to control the lateral movement of my body and be unstable. The main way to change this is course by making the posts that attach your camber tube to your chair shorter, which you can't do with a ZR. Moving you COG forward will do this as well if your chair has dump already (it wont if you have none) but will make your chair more tippy. Typically if you want to change your dump you adjust both.

The reason I suggested a roho hybrid elite is I have one and I can adjust my dump somewhat by changing how much the air cushion is inflated. I made the comment about you looking like you are "on" your chair and not "in" your chair by looking at the pictures you posted. I would not be able to sit in a chair with that little dump without holding on to something, I would wobble like a weeble. If you could get your butt lower, putting your body in more of a V shape you may be more laterally stable. As with all wheelchair fitting the devil is in trying what works for you. I have no idea how not having the weight of one leg would affect this, not sure how much trunk control you have but it seems like something to try at least.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Dump is the difference between the FSH and RSH, I have a 4 inch dump in my chair. How much dump you need depends on a lot of things but in general if you don't have a lot of trunk stability (because of my injury level I have no ab muscles) having a lot of dump puts you more "in" the chair.
    Thanks for explaining.

I have tried various dump amounts with past chairs and find much more than 2" and I get increased leg spasms. I have fairly good fore and aft (?? correct word choice) stability so the lack of dump does not cause too many problems (except maybe with lateral stability).

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post

roho hybrid elite
    I was really stuck on getting a Stimulite because I hate, hate, hate sweaty bum. However, I am not sure if they have a good option for me. PLUS (and this is humongous in my mind) Tom Borcherding, of ROHO, has impressed me with his quick and helpful responses.

I am looking at the Quadtro Select Low as I think it may help with keeping my amp leg knee even with my other leg (by adding more air to the amp leg quadrant).

E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com

For help fighting sweaty bum, I use "Anti Monkey Butt Powder." It works pretty well. Construction workers and farmers use it. I've read that a medical-grade sheepskin cushion cover works well, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

With your lateral stability issue, I'd try out a full air cushion like the quadtro before purchasing one. The different chambers would be perfect for your obliquity, but I've heard lots of complaints about feeling or being unstable on air cushions. This might not affect you though, if I remember correctly you have CP and not paraplegic? So with the proper immersion you may feel more stable. But I'd try it out first. Just from what you'd said, I'd think a foam/air combo like T8's suggestion of roho hybrid elite would fit your needs better. But theres no way to really know without trying.

Ok, I understand the issue with the back a bit more now. I thought the problem was due to the seat depth you had the back angled further forward in the bottom than top to shorten depth and as a result the top was too far away. So I thought shortening the depth more would solve the problem.

With the current back, you don't have much angle adjustment? Is that correct? If so, a different back may fit your needs better but of course will be costly. I also have an anterior pelvic tilt, but together with excessive curve in my lower back so higher up on my back is not more forward. So understanding better, I would first see what you can do with adjusting the hardware (know nothing about your back or how to adjust it like people suggested) and possibly build up the foam. If that doesn't work, you may need a different back. In my Jay 3 I have foam wedges to build up the lumbar support area of the back to fill in my excessive curve and provide enough support. You could get some firm upholstery foam from a shop or sewing store and experiment with cutting it into shapes with an electric carving knife. You can use velcro in the shell of the back and on the foam pieces to secure them under the main foam.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.