Thread: Anyone use medicine for "bad pain days"?

Anyone use medicine for "bad pain days"?

I was curious if anyone out there with chronic neurogenic pain takes anything on just the days when their pain is bad? Or do you take something every day so your pain doesn't get severe? If so...what do you take that works??

I'm having one of those severe pain days...I'm going out of my mind. There's always pain...some days it's mild & tolerable...but some days, like today, my pain is severe.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

I used to be on gabapentin and lyrica, the problems with these is they take a long time to get into the system therefore you have to take them everyday to work. Only on medical marijuana now which I vaporize for immediate relief very easy to regulate amount needed and a healthy way to medicate for me.

For chronic pain, my Dad is on Neurontin 800mg three times a day. For bad days, he takes extra tramadol (two 50mg tablets usually), 1-3 times a day.

It's pretty important to have something around for the bad days. Usually the morphine family of medicines are good for that. Tramadol is a little different, but for some has less of the sleepiness side effect that the morphine family can have.

My Dad's pain is always worse if he's tired, if he exercises too little OR too much, if he is sick/UTI etc..

Hi Kyle,

Sorry you are having a bad day.

Yesterday, I was transferring into my car and my chair wheel must have been on a patch of oil on the parking lot because it shot away from me and I missed the transfer. I didn't hit the pavement but was hanging ass out from my steering wheel and it was quite a bit of effort to get in my seat. In the process I twisted something, and even though I don't feel pain directly I started feeling nausuous and my legs started spasming so I knew it was going to be a bad night later. So I busted out my emergency stash of oxycodone. Haven't had to use it in six months but it is good to have when needed.

Not sure what you normally take but I like to have some sort of opiod (oxycodone) for intense pain episodes. They happen with SCI and it is good stuff to have laying around when it does. The danger is if you take it every day it spirals into increasing dosages and loses its effectiveness.

When my wierd shocks act up I take 2 tramadol and a 50mg lyrica. On top of my normal 2 Lyrica 1 Tramadol in morning, 2 tramadol 1 lyrica at night. Sometimes it heads them off, sometimes not.

Thanks for the posts. What is tramadol like to take? I'll look it up...

I see some people use neurotin and lyrica...I was on those two but I went off them because they didn't help much.

Now I take 4 mg of gabitril & 150 mg of effexor...but again these don't do enough.
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust