Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nicotine: The Cure for SCI?

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    Nicotine is one of those things, deadly in excess but in minute dosages, like strychnine hydrochloride can show therapeutic properties. Cas's reservations about aluminium ate important, it's chronic effects on the body are likely to be harmful. Perhaps the "nicorette" gums used by smokers may be worth a consideration?

However, the reports do indicate a lack of quantification; without this there is no firm basis for claims.
    I looked at those gums and steered clear because they have artificial sweeteners which seem to reverse any progress I make in recovering sensation. Those artificial sweeteners are known to be neurotoxic. Especially aspartame if it's heated. I'd advise you to look into that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    Nicotine is one of those things, deadly in excess but in minute dosages, like strychnine hydrochloride can show therapeutic properties. Cas's reservations about aluminium ate important, it's chronic effects on the body are likely to be harmful. Perhaps the "nicorette" gums used by smokers may be worth a consideration?

However, the reports do indicate a lack of quantification; without this there is no firm basis for claims.
    What do you mean by a lack of quantification? Quantities and dosages were specified in the references I cited. So what are you talking about?

The first reference you cite talk about stem cells relating to blood (hematopoietic) which have nothing to do with stem cells that would promote axional growth. There is no reference at all cited about how nicotine would promote growth across an injured spinal cord.

Sorry man, it is hard to take your claims seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    I'm not selling anything. I'm GIVING IT AWAY. See the difference? If you don't believe me that I've obtained benefits maybe you should take a look at the references I cited which show there's a potential for benefit and possibly a cure (if used properly).
    The point being made was not the sale but the product being pushed as a grand deal to cure the spinal cord.

As mentioned nicotine has good and bad effects like most things, but on its own do's not develop into a cure of the spinal cord or we would all be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    One caution about nicotine patches. I've noticed that the ones which have aluminum coatings on them seem to result in absorption of aluminum in my experience. I can't prove this but I would get a metallic taste in my mouth from them. I felt like I was getting blood clots in my lungs from the effects of the aluminum too. So, I use an aluminum free patch and don't get that sensation of blood clots. Just my two cents worth.

Another issue I should point out is that I've tried chewing tobacco and e-cigs but the artificial sweeteners they use seem to counteract the benefits. They have unflavored e-cig liquids but I don't trust those. They are not regulated at all. Not even like foods. You don't know what you're getting with those. Nicotine patches, the lower dosages, work best.
    Can you tell us exactly what the patches did for you?
    How many blood clots have you had in your lungs? Were these self diagnosed and is that the basis for your statement "I felt like I as getting blood clots in my lungs"?

Article says NADA about Stem Cells. But it does mention neuro plasticity, suggesting that taking nicotine while doing physical therapy/biofeedback would be very beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    Article says NADA about Stem Cells. But it does mention neuro plasticity, suggesting that taking nicotine while doing physical therapy/biofeedback would be very beneficial.
    I am for anything that helps.
    LET A SMILE BE YOUR UMBRELLA

specifics?

I'm intrigued. Might better neuroplasticity help rid me of spasticity caused by chronic incomplete sci? I've never smoked or been around smokers much. Could a nicotine patch help me? Nicoderm CQ delivers 21 mg a day thru skin. Is that a good low dosage, Ryan? Thanks!

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    The first reference you cite talk about stem cells relating to blood (hematopoietic) which have nothing to do with stem cells that would promote axional growth. There is no reference at all cited about how nicotine would promote growth across an injured spinal cord.

Sorry man, it is hard to take your claims seriously.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but my second post to this thread does provide a reference which shows that nicotine stimulates axon and dendrite growth. That combined with the stem cells produced by nicotine would seem to be a very potent combination.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS View Post
    The point being made was not the sale but the product being pushed as a grand deal to cure the spinal cord.

As mentioned nicotine has good and bad effects like most things, but on its own do's not develop into a cure of the spinal cord or we would all be doing it.
    As explained elsewhere in other threads, if not here as well, I'm also using hydrogen peroxide therapy (a form of oxygen therapy similar in objective to hyperbaric oxygenation) in addition to ALA, which seems to make a huge difference. I'm also using proteolytic enzymes (bromelain and papain) in addition to glucosamine. I also have heard that B vitamins have been used to cure SCI.

Note that nicotine is essentially a form of vitamin B3. Vitamin B3 is nicotinic acid. If I remember correctly, B3 is essential for proper development of the brain and nervous system. This is why pregnant women are urged to take B vitamin supplements. I avoid B vitamin supplements because they are usually created using genetically modified organisms (yeast). I have tried several different sources of organic (non-GMO) probiotics which contained yeasts with some notable results. Yet, the current regimen seems to be the most potent...without any B vitamins (except for nicotine perhaps).

Nicotine has been "demonised" in modern times due to it's association with tobacco but many vegetables contain nicotine or nicotine analogs such as tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplant...among others. It is entirely natural and the body actually requires it. I for one can understand why the native Americans revere tobacco as a sacred plant. It is also considered by them to be a very powerful medicine. They even include green tobacco leaves in their salads. Keep in mind that the tobacco they use is not hybridised to produce the high levels of nicotine like tobacco bred by the tobacco industry uses. If I remember correctly, the native Americans also chemically treat their tobacco to reduce the toxicity of the nicotine before consuming it.

Smoking and chewing tobacco is also often fermented which probably makes the nicotine less toxic and probably also converts the nicotine into a different form from that found in the fresh green leaf. Nicoitne has many metabolites some of which are carcinogenic and as I understand the fermentation of tobacco increses the level of these metabolites and this is what makes tobacco so carcinogenic, aside from the addition of carcinogens by some of the curing methods used (which may include "smoking", like with jerky) and also the toxins produced by combustion when smoked (as a cigarette, cigar, or in a pipe). This is why Swedish snus (as opposed to snuff) tobacco, which is NOT fermented, is said to be non-carcinogenic.

I have tried Swedish snus and do find it effective if I do not overindulge. Yet, I prefer nicotine patches. Snus tastes awful and it makes me ill. It is also difficult to be sure whether or not the "flavor" listed as an ingredient contains artificial sweeteners such as sucralose or aspartame (which are neurotoxic if I remember correctly).