Thread: Hydrogen Peroxide: An Inexpensive Alternative to Hyperbaric Oxygenation?

Hydrogen Peroxide: An Inexpensive Alternative to Hyperbaric Oxygenation?

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum. I joined primarily to share with you my experiences with using a dilute hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) solution as an alternative to hyperbaric oxygenation. I'm sure many on this forum arefamilar with the benefits of hyperbaric oxygenation in reversing the damage from SCI's? I have been using 1 drop of a 3% solution of USP hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water (which further dilutes it to under 1% concentration of H2O2) which I then consume on an empty stomach. The results are amazing. I believe that consuming this H2O2 solution in this way has the same effect of oxygenating the body fluids and tissues as hyperbaric oxygenation (HBO)...at far less cost than HBO. Additionally, it seems to help with my Urinary Tract Infections (UTI). I suffered a spinal cord injury 33 years ago and know what suffering is involved for those who have been through a SCI. So, I had to share my experience. I have not recovered significant function nor am I walking yet, but I do believe I will someday VERY soon. I am also using other supplements to accelerate the results. These include proteolytic enzymes (bromelain, and papayin), Alpha Lipoic Acid, a Mineral Bi-Carbonate solution (which optimises the pH of the blood plasma/intercellular fluid), and believe it or not...NICOTINE...the latter of which I find to yield astounding results. Nicotine is well known for it's effects on the nervous system. According to many sources it stimulates nerve growth. In addition, it is also reported to cause stem cell proliferation. It is also claimed to stimulate angiogenesis which increases blood and therefore oxygen flow to tissues. Because of the inducement of stem cell proliferation and angiogenesis effect it is claimed that nicotine or it's analogs also help build muscle and has been used to help rehabilitate atrophied muscles. One important point, I believe it may be necessary to keep the dosage of nicotine VERY low to obtain the desired results (this avoids saturating the nicotine and acetylcholine receptors). I do NOT recommend smoking tobacco (which has all sorts of negative health effects, including reducing blood/plasma oxygen levels) or even nicotine gums or lozenges because they often contain artificial sweeteners which seem to damage the nervous system and interfere with the benefits one might otherwise obtain. If you are interested in learning more about the use of nicotine for this purpose I can provide references. Also, if anyone wants details about the other supplements I am using I would be more than willing to share details here. At this time I merely wanted to share my experience along with the basic info because I believe it may be worth investigating. Perhaps some of the researchers on this forum, such as Wise Young, may be interested in studying the use of the aforementioned supplements I am using to cure SCI's. I believe they will prove to be very effective. Perhaps more effective than any other cure presently being studied Thank You, -Ryan B
    Last edited by Ryan B; 03-25-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Hi Ryan. I see you are new, so welcome! Do you have a medical/biochemical background? For some time HBOT has been indicated as an important factor in reversing even quite major stroke damage, if timely application is made. Your point is interesting; oral ingestion, if the patient is able to swallow is about as non-invasive as it gets, and the imminent risk of conflagration is eliminated. It certainly merits scrutiny. As you say, it is (dirt) cheap, in pharmaceutical terms, and probably harmless.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Ryan, could you state your level, completeness and what functions you believe you have returned because of your regiment?
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Thank you for the warm welcome, Chris. I have no credentials but I do spend much time researching various subjects including but not limited to chemistry and natural/holistic medicine, especially oxygen therapies. I am also probably autistic (as I'm sure you will agree after reading this).

In response to your comments about hydrogen peroxide and HBOT...I must say that the reported results of HBOT with stroke patients have been amazing. What appears to be dead brain tissue on an MRI scan of a stroke patient is resurrected by Hyper-Baric Oxygenation Therapy (HBOT) because what appears to be dead is not truly dead but merely "sleeping". Brain cells deprived of oxygen slow their metabolism to reduce their oxygen requirements so that the can survive. This causes them to appear to die. I suspect the same may be true for spinal cord neurons too. Additionally, HBOT has reportedly been proven to increase the number of adult stem cells eight-fold. This should also be of value in treating spinal cord injuries.

What HBOT does is increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the blood plasma. This allows more oxygen to reach tissues and cells where blood cells cannot reach because they are not in immediate or close proximity to a blood vessel. This same effect should be possible using hydrogen peroxide for reasons I will explain later.Hydrogen peroxide is essentially oxygenated water, hence the similarity to H2O in the chemical formula. Hydrogen peroxide is H2O2. In other words it is H2O bound to one additional oxygen (O) atom. So, H2O + O > H2O2. In other words, water + oxygen = hydrogen peroxide.

It is said that the oxygen released by hydrogen peroxide is a free-radical and I had some concerns about this because free radicals are said to cause aging, heart diseas, and cancer. Yet, new studies show that free-radicals actually increase lifespan and reduce incidence of diseases such as cancer, whereas antioxidants decrease lifespan. This is not to say one should gorge on free-radicals. There must be a balance between antioxidants and oxidants for optimal health. Whereas oxygen and certain free-radicals are the spark or flame of life, anti-oxidants keep the fire under control. Yet, the oxidation of oxygen which is the basis of our metabolism, is essential. One cannot live on anti-oxidants alone otherwise their would be no oxidation, no metabolism, and you would be dead.

I have long been trying to find a safe and innexpensive way to oxygenate the blood plasma and I have experimented with many different oxygenating supplements. I recently became convinced that the safest way would be to create oxygenated water using a blender to rapidly circulate water into a vortex for a period of time. This has the same effects as bubbling air through water to oxygenate it as is done in a fish-tank aquarium by putting as many molecules of water into contact with oxygen.

I was trying to create a safe source of O2 as opposed to singlet Oxygen (O-) to avoid free-radicals but after contemplating the chemistry I've become convinced that when O2 dissoles into water it combines with the water to form hydrogen peroxide. In other words, 2H2O + O2 > 2H202. If so, then consuming oxygenated water would be no different than drinking hydrogen peroxide except for the fact that hydrogen peroxide is said to contain a small amount of stabiliser such as phosphate or sodium stannate (which is a tin salt). The concentration of these stabilisers should be low enough that it isn't toxic at the dosages I'm using which is 1 drop of a 3% H2O2 solution diulted in a glass of water.

It is said that there are "food-grade" hydrogen peroxides on the market which people claim are stabilser-free but these forms are NOT intended for consumption or even oral use. The reason they are labelled "food grade" is because they are simply intended for use in the food industry to clean machinery and such used in food manufacturing. Again, they are NOT intended for oral use or consumption. FDA laws for food manufacture require that the chemicals used for such purposes as cleaning any surfaces which come into contact with processed foods must be food grade rather than technical grade because technical grade chemicals can and often do contain significant and toxic impurities which will leave a potentially toxic residue. The impurities or additives in food grade chemicals are guaranteed to be below a certain threshold of toxicity. The same is true for USP grade chemicals intended for ingestion.

While typical USP grade hydrogen peroxide is NOT labelled for consumption it IS labelled for oral use so I would expect that the level of impurities must be very low because not only is there the potential for accidentally swallowing (keeping in mind one will almost always inevitably swallow a small amount of the peroxide residue left behind) but also one does absorb substances sublingually and through the lining of the other mouth tissues. So, I am confident that USP grade hydrogen peroxide is safe. Perhaps even safer than food grade peroxide since food grade peroxide is NOT intended for oral use or consumption!

It is probably a myth that food grade peroxide contains NO additives because it is illegal to ship or transport unstabilised H2O2 at the concentrations typically sold (35%). The reason being that it is too dangerous as it can cause explosions or fires if it spills and reacts with other substances/compounds, oxygen toxicity (due to the oxygen released), etcetera. So, I doubt it is truly additive free. My research years ago revealed that food-grade hydrogen peroxide is NOT additive free although there is food-grade peroxide with very low levels of stabilisers. This is probably why some food-grade hydrogen peroxide is labelled as additive/stabiliser free since if an ingredient is below a certain concentration it is not required to be listed as an ingredient.

The USP grade H2O2 sold at pharmacies used to list the stabilisers in the ingredients but most do NOT list any stabilisers these days. I suspect the reason for this is that the concentration of stabiliser is below the threshold where it would be required to be listed as an ingredient. I actually spoke with the distributors and manufacturers of USP grade peroxides to find out the truth and was told that there were no stabilsers or any other additives. I have a hard time believing this in light of the aforementioned transportation laws. Yet, I can think of one way they could stabilise the peroxide without actually using a typical chemical stabiliser: by using electrolysed alkaline water which would be pure -HO (hydroxide ions).

Alas, I do intend to compare results and effects of oxygenated water created by aeration (using a blender) vs. H2O2 but I suspect H2O2 may prove superior because it allows for higher levels of oxygen to be attained. It may be possible to attain similar levels of oxygen using a "base" such as baking soda (or other carbonate or bicarbonate) in the aerated water which should stabilise the oxygen and also allow for a higher concentration of oxygen.

I agree with your assertion that consuming dilute hydrogen peroxide solutions is probably safe. It may even have amazing benefits I have not mentioned. You can learn about these amazing benefits by researching the subject of "hydrogen peroxide therapy". When researching this subject I caution you about dosage. Many sources recommend dosages which seem dangerous to me. I believe only 1 drop of a 3% solution of H2O2 in water is sufficient to obtain benefits. Anything more could be overkill which may lead to eventual health problems.

I'm curious as to why you added a papaya enzyme supplement to your menu. Way back around the 1960s or early 1970's the Russians tried injections of papanaze at the site (spelling may be off) to eliminate any scar and allow regeneration. Unfortunantly the enzyme they used worked too well an continued past the scar area and did further damage to the cords of the trial subjects. I think you'd need to know Russian to be able to get this information online.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

The water/oxygen/peroxide balance is interesting. It represents a reversible reaction, and to drive a mixture of water and oxygen to peroxide requires energy/catalysis. H2O2 is like many things, depending on its concentration. Dilute hydrochloric acid is fine in the stomach, pH 1, much stronger it's lethal. Pure h. peroxide is a blue, syrupy liquid that is inimical to organic tissue, scarring skin badly. It's reaction to enzymes causes violent effervescence, and with many reducing materials it explodes - the basis of early rocket fuels.

Have the FDA banished the use of nitrites in meat preserves? I doubt it. Under the right circumstances these can react with amines to form nitrosamines which are proven carcinogens.

1% solutions of something that is unlikely to be toxic is not a worry. Certainly nicotine is potentially more harmful, but it's all a question of degree.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    The water/oxygen/peroxide balance is interesting. It represents a reversible reaction, and to drive a mixture of water and oxygen to peroxide requires energy/catalysis. H2O2 is like many things, depending on its concentration. Dilute hydrochloric acid is fine in the stomach, pH 1, much stronger it's lethal. Pure h. peroxide is a blue, syrupy liquid that is inimical to organic tissue, scarring skin badly. It's reaction to enzymes causes violent effervescence, and with many reducing materials it explodes - the basis of early rocket fuels.

Have the FDA banished the use of nitrites in meat preserves? I doubt it. Under the right circumstances these can react with amines to form nitrosamines which are proven carcinogens.

1% solutions of something that is unlikely to be toxic is not a worry. Certainly nicotine is potentially more harmful, but it's all a question of degree.
    Sorry for the delay but I've been busy preparing for WW3. You may be correct about a catalyst or energy being required to create H2O2 from the combination of H2O and O2. It is difficult for me to be certain since oxygen is NOT fully understood (in reality it is paramagnetic when it should not be according to "theory" for example). The fact is that catalysts are usually present in water and energy is usually involved in oxygenating water (such as the method I described which involves creating a vortex). I'm not sure these would be considered sufficient to produce H2O2 in your opinion. Although I believe H2O2 is safe at the concentrations I am using, I must confess that I am presently considering the use of the water vortex method of oxygenating water vs. dilute hydrogen peroxide for the sake of ensuring safety (in the long term) because there is no doubt at all that vortexed water is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    I'm curious as to why you added a papaya enzyme supplement to your menu. Way back around the 1960s or early 1970's the Russians tried injections of papanaze at the site (spelling may be off) to eliminate any scar and allow regeneration. Unfortunantly the enzyme they used worked too well an continued past the scar area and did further damage to the cords of the trial subjects. I think you'd need to know Russian to be able to get this information online.

If I remember correctly I added it to my diet originally as a digestive aid and an anti-parasitic. These enzymes are claimed to dissolve intestinal worms. I found that when I did this I felt some recovery of sensation in my lower back. Especially when taken on an empty stomach at least an hour before eating. I suspect the reason those researchers did more damge was because they were using too high of a concentration. I've NEVER noticed any signs of spinal cord damage from orally consumed proteolytic digestive enzymes. Quite the contrary.

This continues to be an interesting discussion point. Your reply to Sue hinges on the very crucial issue of concentration. Too much oxygen is toxic; too little is as bad. Apparently the same for the papaya enzyme.

Quote Originally Posted by chris arnold View Post
    This continues to be an interesting discussion point. Your reply to Sue hinges on the very crucial issue of concentration. Too much oxygen is toxic; too little is as bad. Apparently the same for the papaya enzyme.

Concentration is important. Keep in mind that the enzymes I'm talking about, bromelain and papain, are derived from pineapple and papaya and should be no more dangerous than eating a papaya or pineapple.I actually prefer to eat the fruit but it's far easier to use a pill. There may be an advantage to using a pill since there's no matter (fiber, etc.) to interfere with absorption. It is said that if you take enzymes on an empty stomach they are able to help repair the body more so than when taken with food. Perhaps this is why fasting has been shown to help with recovery from SCI. When you fast, your natural digestive enzymes are claimed to be able to be used for repair as opposed to digestion. I for one have noticed that occasional fasting helps me to recover some sensation and function.