Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jetstream Pro Backrest - Sizing question

Jetstream Pro Backrest - Sizing question

I am currently negotiating the long-distance, private purchase of a JSP16LFA backrest (adjustable hardware). The owner's manual gives the adjustment range as 15-16.5", but I seem to remember reading on CCC that people often fit a rigid back 1" narrower than their chair.

Will a 16" JSP adjustable backrest fit on my 17 wide" AeroZ okay?

Attachment 49109
    Attachment 49110

TIA
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

There is a possibility your push handles may protrude ot the back posts or edges may cause discomfort. If it is cheap enough, it could help you build a case for the VA to provide a 17" wide ADI version.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 03-25-2013 at 07:34 AM.

I have a 16 inch wide Jetstream back (with adjustable hardware) on my 16 inch wide chair if it helps.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I have a 16 inch wide Jetstream back (with adjustable hardware) on my 16 inch wide chair if it helps.
    (deleted) Nevermind, have a different model.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    There is a possibility your push handles may protrude ot the back posts or edges may cause discomfort. If it is cheap enough, it could help you build a case for the VA to provide a 17" wide ADI version.
    Yes, it is cheap. When I asked the VA PT about getting me a rigid back, she showed hesitation saying many vets didn't like them. So I thought I'd do exactly what you're saying. My fabric back seems to be working fine, but I want to try a rigid to see if it works better for me before asking the VA for one.

Concurrently, I'll see what angle my back canes should be for a rigid mount, so in case I do like it, my next chair's back can have welded canes.

Thanks
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

chas, I had adjustable back on old chair. May have been fine learning how to use chair, but once good, the back was garbage. Adjustable ate up a ton of energy. And with the adjustments, those things wear and come loose. This only info to consider.

JetStream Pro Sizing

Chas,

I believe you will have problems with this fit. I'll confirm and get back to you, but I believe you can size down by 1" but not size up by 1". Let me research and confirm before you make this purchase.

Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    I am currently negotiating the long-distance, private purchase of a JSP16LFA backrest (adjustable hardware). The owner's manual gives the adjustment range as 15-16.5", but I seem to remember reading on CCC that people often fit a rigid back 1" narrower than their chair.

Will a 16" JSP adjustable backrest fit on my 17 wide" AeroZ okay?

Attachment 49109
    Attachment 49110

TIA

Chas,

Got a quick confirmation, and what I stated is correct. You will have a problem fitting a 16" JetStream back on to a 17" wide Ti frame. The 16" JetStream will fit a 16" frame, and can be adjustable to fit many 15" frames.

Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Borcherding View Post
    Chas,

Got a quick confirmation, and what I stated is correct. You will have a problem fitting a 16" JetStream back on to a 17" wide Ti frame. The 16" JetStream will fit a 16" frame, and can be adjustable to fit many 15" frames.

Regards,

Tom
    Thanks Tom, I am very mechanically minded (spent years as a craftsman in the construction trades). I am thinking I can install some bushings and/or longer bolts in critical locations to make it fit. Again my goal is just to see whether or not a rigid back is right for me. If it is, I'll ask the VA for a correctly sized one and make this 16" back available to someone else
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-25-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hi Chas-
    I am looking at mine (a 14" on a 13" width chair). I think if you got longer bolts and spacers (washers, bushings) for the bolts that connect to the actual back (not the posts) you could make it work. If you were someone else I would say "no" but you... you could do it.
    E
    There is no such thing as a stupid question but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots. -modified from despair.com