Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lcd or plasma tv

I have large windows in my living room and bedroom which bank south, letting in a lot of sunshine during the day. During the day I do see some glare with the plasma TV in the living room. As I stated earlier, I watch most of my TV in the evening. Therefore, this is not a problem of glare. The TV in the bedroom is an LED and has no glare issue whatsoever. If you decide to go with plasma, I would suggest purchasing one with an anti-glare screen. My preference would be a back-lit LED TV. However, most LED TVs today are edge-lit. Sometimes TVs are advertised as LED LCD TV, but there is a difference in an LED TV and an LCD TV.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Best of the best brands features not withstanding, which is better plasma or LED in a bright sunny room?
    No contest! LCD or LED is better in a sunny room. The picture can be set to almost eye damaging brightness. Here in Florida, our house has a lot of natural light. Old CRT tube sets are very difficult to see here, and I would say that plasmas have brightness levels similar to those.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    im wondering about the led now too

i just watch tv im not a big gamer but do have big windows in living room near my tv

i have a toshiba dlp now and the lamp went out i replaced the lamp and now the stuid thing turns on and off by itself like onwait a few seconds then off then on then off thats why im lookin for a new set
    DLP used to be a big deal. My brother-in-law stills swears by them and he's an Electrical Engineer. I find that DLPs, even at their best, can't compete with LCD or LED screens for brightness and contrast, albeit some do think this makes them look a little unnatural. It makes them great for animation, cartoons, and games, though.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    DLP used to be a big deal. My brother-in-law stills swears by them and he's an Electrical Engineer. I find that DLPs, even at their best, can't compete with LCD or LED screens for brightness and contrast, albeit some do think this makes them look a little unnatural. It makes them great for animation, cartoons, and games, though.
    Most movie theaters use DLP. I have a a lot of natural light and my plasma has no glare. Again, you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    Most movie theaters use DLP. I have a a lot of natural light and my plasma has no glare. Again, you get what you pay for.
    I admit, some people like DLP for their homes. The problem in my house isn't so much about glare as it is about the picture not being bright enough. The daylight just washes out the picture so its hard to see any detail during the day, and we do like lots of daylight in our house. Ambient light rules!

I'm watching a dark image in a bright room. There are no reflections noticeable. My early plasma was very reflective. Times change and so does technology. Take a tour through the electronics store and pick out one you like. You'll get the LED vs LCD vs Plasma all day on any forum.

I personally could never buy another LED unless it is as good or better than Plasma.

Here are some shots I just took of my Plasma in a bright room.

Not all Plasma/LEDs are the same, so go see them in person. Then you won't be unhappy.

So I just had lighter colored blinds installed in my house. I can now notice reflections during the brightest part of the day on my plasma's screen. From some angles it's annoying. But I still wouldn't trade for an LED.

Doesn't matter which technology. In bright and reflective rooms it's all about the anti-glare coating. Today's TVs, with race to the bottom pricing, generally suck. Both of my older CCFL backlit have better anti-reflective treatments (and better sound) than most of what I see today. My LR TV is opposite of 4 south facing windows. I searched a long time before finding the LG Scarlet. The minute I saw it at BB I knew it was the one. I couldn't make out anything behind me and the reflection from the lights on the ceiling were just fuzzy blobs. Didn't hurt that the picture was excellent too.

That's why I actually prefer shopping for a TV at a well lit big-box. The industrial lights, white ceiling, and cluttered store highlight the glare. The subdued lighting and soft space in higher-end showrooms masks it and makes the colors seem richer than they really are.

ended up buying a new lamp fr the set i have but am lookin at ne ones 4 the fuure thanks for yalls advice
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I have a LED 60" Sony Bravia. The colors are phenomenal in HD especially. It's a smart tv 3d, which I never did buy the glasses for, but the Internet works quite well with my wifi. I'm not really a big sports fan so I don't notice the fast moving blurr that many speak of and as far as aesthetics. I really like the fact that its so thin. I'm sure plasmas are excellent tv's but I never really liked them because they seem to have more of a glare to them than the LCD and led. It took me awhile to get used to computer screens when they all changed over to the what I call glare from lighting, if some if you remember the computer screens came with a matted looking screen.

Anyway Sony 60" Bravia I love. A little pricey but I figure how often am I going to buy a tv. Besides, looks nice on my wall lol