Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Does anyne have a MacBook Pro with just flash?

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Can i discover my processor without rebooting?

    I have:
    Windows 7 professional version 6.1
    DNS 12.0
    8 gb RAM
    Yetti freestanding microphone--had no better luck with a headset
    Last edited by Random; 03-26-2013 at 01:29 PM.

  2. #12
    I have an 11 inch macbook air. It is so easy to carry on my lap in a wheel chair. I love how light and small it is .
    But I don't use voice recognition software.

  3. #13
    SSDs are fine. They're more reliable than hard drives with moving parts. My MacBook Pro (circa '08) is on its 3rd hard drive. It came w/ a 160gb, I replaced it with a 750gb one, which crapped out last month, so I bought another. Restoring everything was an easy overnight process from a Time Machine backup. I'd use a SSD in it if the high capacity ones were affordable.

    @t8burst, what flavor of Linux are you using? I put Ubuntu on one of my wife's old machines & have been pleasantly surprised with it. It's made me think about a Thinkpad X1 as a contender for a lightweight laptop that actually has a decent screen.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Can i discover my processor without rebooting?

    I have:
    Windows 7 professional version 6.1
    DNS 12.0
    8 gb RAM
    Yetti freestanding microphone--had no better luck with a headset
    I recall the Blue Yeti USB microphone getting good customer reviews on Amazon. I am presently working from my Mac. The steps below should provide you with the information about your computer.

    1. Go to start.
    2. Computer
    3. Right click on computer
    4. Left click on property
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

    Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    AMD Athlon (tm) II x3 445 Processor 3.1 GHz, 64-bit operating system

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    AMD Athlon (tm) II x3 445 Processor 3.1 GHz, 64-bit operating system
    When you purchase your next computer get one with an Intel i7 or i5 processor along with a solid-state drive. When you open Dragon go to, "Audio," (upper right-hand corner) "Check microphone." In Windows 7, use the Disk Defragmenter for your hard drive. I prefer to use a free program called defraggler. Go to, "Start," type "msconfig," and click the Startup tab. You can uncheck any program that isn't needed in the startup, e.g. iTunes, Skype, QuickTime. I also recommend that you contact your local Independent Living Center to find out if there is a VR specialists who can come into your home.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

    Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

  7. #17
    I am using ubuntu 12.04 and have a X1 carbon. It is without a doubt the best laptop I have ever owned but it may not be for everyone. It doesn't have super long battery life (it does recharge fully in a half hour) and if you want a docking station the only one available is a USB 3.0 based one (I don't use a docking station). Aside from that the screen is awesome, keyboard is great and it has all the power I need.

    ETA: I am trying a new setup instead of my usual dual boot fun. With newer laptops you have a lot of memory/processing power. On my carbon I have left windows on the machine and have a ubuntu VM running in VMWare Workstation (there are free alternatives such as vbox but I like workstation and can expense it). So my normal mode is I boot up, fire up my VM and when the VM is full screened it is like having a native linux laptop. My carbon has 8gb and I give the linux vm 5gb of ram and 2 cores, more than enough for the development I do. Switching between windows and linux then is just as easy as minimizing the VM window. Do this for a couple reasons, I now unfortunately do more management than coding so need office and also although my companies VPN works under linux it is a lot more stable under windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    SSDs are fine. They're more reliable than hard drives with moving parts. My MacBook Pro (circa '08) is on its 3rd hard drive. It came w/ a 160gb, I replaced it with a 750gb one, which crapped out last month, so I bought another. Restoring everything was an easy overnight process from a Time Machine backup. I'd use a SSD in it if the high capacity ones were affordable.

    @t8burst, what flavor of Linux are you using? I put Ubuntu on one of my wife's old machines & have been pleasantly surprised with it. It's made me think about a Thinkpad X1 as a contender for a lightweight laptop that actually has a decent screen.
    Last edited by t8burst; 03-28-2013 at 09:20 AM.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,563
    Blog Entries
    1
    Wow, T8, I love it when you talk dirty to us.

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Wow, T8, I love it when you talk dirty to us.
    Lol, all the chicks dig a guy who can virtualize their os.

  10. #20
    Right on. Thanks Tom.

Similar Threads

  1. MacBook
    By Liz321 in forum Computers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 09:11 AM
  2. new macbook. what now?
    By ~McLovin~ in forum Computers
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 04:33 AM
  3. The Macbook Air
    By Wise Young in forum Computers
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 01:20 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 02:01 AM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 10:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •