Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyne have a MacBook Pro with just flash?

Blog Entries

Does anyne have a MacBook Pro with just flash?

I've decided to try to salvage hours of my days and go MAC, rumored just to work. But the idea of entrusting my whole digital life to a flash drive makes me nervous, even though my sales guy says it's safer -- no moving parts. I like the weight.

I'm thinking the 13" with retina display. Or should I go plain display with hard drive? What's a solid-state drive? http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

Thoughts? Reassurances? Configuration tips?

And how's the built-in voice recognition? I desperately would like to limit my interactions with Dragon to publically shaming them.

A SSD is simply a "drive" made out of chips similar to what are in USB fobs. I have thad them on my last 3 laptops. They are faster, use less power (makes your batter last longer) and more resilient to shocks (no moving parts). I wouldn't own a laptop with anything else.

The new retina displays are nice, not sure I would pay the money for one can't comment on the voice recognition.

I am using a MacBook Air currently until I get my usual laptop back (a thinkpad that I spilled gatoraid on). The hardware is nice but I really prefer my thinkpad.

I am not using Mountain Lion on my Intel iMac. My understanding is that there are some speech recognition capabilities with Mountain Lion, but it's probably limited. SIRI is another tool used for dictation. I do not believe you will get the robust performance that you would like with SIRI, or the speech recognition on OS X 10.8. Dragon Dictate is like taking a step backwards compared to Dragon NaturallySpeaking. You want AI (Artificial Intelligence) so you would be able to talk to your computer the same way Scotty wanted to do in the StarTrek movie "The Voyage Home." The day we are able to talk to our computers, and have them understand what we are talking about is probably five years or ten years down the road. Nuance has been slow with real innovation when it comes to speech recognition. I am waiting for Apple or maybe Microsoft to do something really phenomenal with voice recognition. I would like to see Apple with its $100 billion in the bank lead the way to the next generation of speech recognition.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    ...The new retina displays are nice, not sure I would pay the money for one...

Yeah, what's a little more debt for pretty colors...?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    ...The hardware is nice but I really prefer my thinkpad.

Switching to MAC is a huge decision for me. Have you any thoughts against? What do you like about your thinkpad?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    ...SIRI is another tool used for dictation. I do not believe you will get the robust performance that you would like with SIRI, or the speech recognition on OS X 10.8. Dragon Dictate is like taking a step backwards compared to Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

DNS already tortures me daily, with inaccuracy and crashing my computer. So have I no hope of ever writing? What would yo u do?

Thinkpads have this little red nub to control the pointer that because I have used thinkpads for so long I can't live without. Thinkpads also are among the best supported brands for linux on laptops (which I am sure you don't care about but is important to me).

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Yeah, what's a little more debt for pretty colors...?

Switching to MAC is a huge decision for me. Have you any thoughts against? What do you like about your thinkpad?

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I have had one for a couple of weeks and I like mine. Once I have data on it, I will back up my data. I like the retina display. My eyesight isn't all that good and the display was easier to focus on.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

SSDs have improved a lot over the last few years. Apple currently uses Samsung SSDs in the retina display MacBooks and Toshiba SSDs in the others. The Samsung has a significantly higher rating from places that benchmark performance and test
    durability.

Cons:
    •smaller storage size
    •higher cost than HDD
    •more difficult to recover data in the case of a total drive failure (note: for a HDD this usually costs several thousand dollars and is normally way to expensive for a home user anyway.)

Pros:
    •Quiet
    •Temperature and shock resistant
    •Uses less power - longer battery life
    •Lasts longer

So, if you are comfortable with the smaller storage size of the SSD, you really are better off with one.

BACKUP
    No mater what you choose, don't keep the only copy of your data on your laptop. You NEED a dedicated backup drive.

While there are many choices, if you want true plug, play, and forget ease of use, you might consider Apple's Time Machine, which also acts as a wireless router. No mater what you choose, set up your computer for regular, automatic backups.

Don't forget to protect your backup drive from theft or accidental damage.

Note:
    •differences in the technical characteristics of the drive require different (but equally effective) approaches to encryption and secure destruction of data. Nothing to worry about for most people. If you know that data security is vital for you (government agencies, stockbrokers, etc.) then consult an expert on the best way to set up your new computer.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I use an older 15" macbook pro, and my wife has a 13" air. I first got her the pro and I was on pc's, but when my last pc died, I moved to mac and got her the air. It all started so that she wouldn't have to worry about viruses, as she isn't real tech savvy, so that was why I got her a mac. So far, it's been real nice not having to worry about virus/anti stuff on either mac, but I try and stay read up on any looming virus worries for macs.

The one thing I notice on the 13" pro retina in your link, it does not have a Superdrive, which is the dvd drive, whereas the 13" pro does have one. So you would have to buy a usb dvd drive to go along with the retina version, they are cheap, and that is also why the retina is a pound lighter.

Can't comment on voice recog stuff.

eta: generic dvd drives are cheap, bet the Apple drive is not.
    Last edited by McDuff; 03-25-2013 at 09:45 AM.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    DNS already tortures me daily, with inaccuracy and crashing my computer. So have I no hope of ever writing? What would yo u do?
    Randy, are you able to use a mouse, or do you have to control your entire computer by voice? I do not know anything about your computer. Provide us with some information, e.g. Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, DNS 10, DNS 11, DNS 12, 4 GB of RAM, 6 GB of RAM, Intel processor, headset, microphone. You may need to have voice recognition expert come into your home, to assess the software, hardware, and the microphone which you are using. My nephew needed to use Dragon voice recognition when he was in grade school, and the LA Unified School District had a VR expert help with the purchase of his computer along with the setup of the microphone and software. I would contact your local independent living center and explain your situation. There maybe a VR expert that can come to your home to help with your computer/Dragon woes.

DNS 11.5 Pro
    Windows 7 Pro
    Intel Quad core processor
    4 GB of RAM
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com