Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: someone wish to take issue with this?

To use Dr. Kelly Hollowell's own colorful phrase, " NEWS FLASH", most of the people on this site know that she is misquoting articles and has confused the issues.

President Bush did, in fact, allow the existing embryonic stem cell lines to be funded for further research. However, at this time, he made his decision with the understanding that these existing lines were viable, when in fact they were either no longer viable or were all contaminated with mouse feeder cells.

Adult cells do hold promise for spinal cord regeneration. However, the persons Dr. Hollowell refers to may very well be largley benefiting from agressive exercise. I and many others on this forum have trained with many individuals who have received OEG or OEC and have seen first hand little improvements! In fact, as of today's date, we have not seen a written medical write up on these patients. It is truly sad when a doctor such as Kelly Hollowell, who knows better, tries to deceive the public with such overstated, misguided claims. She would do us all a favor if she would first do her homework on the science. Had she truly wanted to help our community, she would have mentioned such on-going studies such as the bone marrow primate studies at UCSD/Davis and embryonic work at UC Irvine. How the doctor could comingle the Pronuron trial and Dr. Lima's OEG trial is ignorant. Melissa Holly did not receive OEGs!

All of the states that have passed legislation in favor of embryonic research have included in their bill strict moral standards to assure against human reproductive cloning and to assure the highest ethical standards.

People like Dr. Hollowell will not stop ESC research, they will only slow it down. If the doctor would have done her homework, she would know that the majority of our community strongly supports all forms of adult and ESC research both morally and financially.

Originally posted by EAA:

To use Dr. Kelly Hollowell's own colorful phrase, " NEWS FLASH", most of the people on this site know that she is misquoting articles and has confused the issues.

President Bush did, in fact, allow the existing embryonic stem cell lines to be funded for further research. However, at this time, he made his decision with the understanding that these existing lines were viable, when in fact they were either no longer viable or were all contaminated with mouse feeder cells.

Adult cells do hold promise for spinal cord regeneration. However, the persons Dr. Hollowell refers to may very well be largley benefiting from agressive exercise. I and many others on this forum have trained with many individuals who have received OEG or OEC and have seen first hand little improvements! In fact, as of today's date, we have not seen a written medical write up on these patients. It is truly sad when a doctor such as Kelly Hollowell, who knows better, tries to deceive the public with such overstated, misguided claims. She would do us all a favor if she would first do her homework on the science. Had she truly wanted to help our community, she would have mentioned such on-going studies such as the bone marrow primate studies at UCSD/Davis and embryonic work at UC Irvine. How the doctor could comingle the Pronuron trial and Dr. Lima's OEG trial is ignorant. Melissa Holly did not receive OEGs!

All of the states that have passed legislation in favor of embryonic research have included in their bill strict moral standards to assure against human reproductive cloning and to assure the highest ethical standards.

People like Dr. Hollowell will not stop ESC research, they will only slow it down. If the doctor would have done her homework, she would know that the majority of our community strongly supports all forms of adult and ESC research both morally and financially.
    oeg are not stem cells.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

One of the more interesting paragraphs from the article:

Secondly, I want to assure readers that I long to see cures developed as much as anyone. My husband's best friend is paralyzed from a biking accident. My grandmother died of Parkinson's disease. My father died at 50 of cancer, and my daughter born just two months ago has a genetic disorder. So before you fire off an e-mail to me about how callous my position is, get a firm grip on the facts.

I don't find it interesting. I find it sad. She is the one that doesn't have a grip on the facts. Does she hear only what she wants to hear? Then expect everyone else to accept her personal belief on this as law? She is the one who needs to get a grip on the facts, then just be honest.
    How is it that these people ever get to debating ESC research supposedly on moral grounds...research that would use what IVF clinics will treat as medical waste? It makes no sense at all. So has she spoken out concerning the IVF clinics? Does she also oppose that? Surely she can't be okay with IVF clinics and against research using what is treated as medical waste by IVF clinics?
    I've had about all the hypocrisy I can stomach on this.

Hope, I find it interesting because of her daughter having a genetic disorder. People have openly pondered what Bush would do if one of his own daughters were injured. I believe the would react the same Dr. Hollowell does.

Both sides -- opponents and proponents -- need to get a grip on the facts and learn to articulate their positions better. Is the "right" opposed to ESC research? No, they are opposed to the destruction of what they believe to be a life to obtain those stem cells. Does the "left" believe cloning creates a new life? No, otherwise they would oppose cloning.

-Steven
    ...how did it end up like this? it was only a kiss, it was only a kiss.

Originally posted by EAA:

It is truly sad when a doctor such as Kelly Hollowell, who knows better, tries to deceive the public with such overstated, misguided claims.
    I see these statements used again and again to dissuade the public from ESCR. Susan how do you feel about this?

As far as Dr. Kelly Hollowell's statements about wanting a cure for her family members too, this is no different from some of the CC members' preference for the use of ASC. I would never force her family members to use therapies derived from ESCR, neither should she require others to forgo government funded ESCR.

~ The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and content with your knowledge ~ Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
    www.CureParalysisNow.org

Originally posted by Steven Edwards:

Hope, I find it interesting because of her daughter having a genetic disorder. People have openly pondered what Bush would do if one of his own daughters were injured. I believe the would react the same Dr. Hollowell does.

Both sides -- opponents and proponents -- need to get a grip on the facts and learn to articulate their positions better.
    Steven,
    I don't waste time pondering what Bush would or would not do. No surprise in what he's doing and will do for the next 4 years though.
    As for his regard for life...He justifies in his own mind sacrificing American lives on a daily basis.
    This research has nothing to do with taking life. It has to do with saving lives or throwing something in the trash, down the sink or in the incinerator.
    Period.

It is intereasting to note that Bush and his mary band of christian evangelicals have no problem sending our teenagers and young men and women to far away countries to be maimed and killed for the benefit of the Midle-East and somehow the US. There ideologic interpretation allows living sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers and friends to die. But heaven forbid they allow an embrio that will be incinerated to be used to save lives and cure sci because this is somehow unacceptable from a religious standpoint.

Originally posted by hope2findacure:

This research has nothing to do with taking life. It has to do with saving lives or throwing something in the trash, down the sink or in the incinerator.
    This is why we'll never win while Bush is in office. The IVF embryo bill has support, but very few are willing to listen to the opposition to understand what they are saying.

They believe life begins at conception, conception being defined as whatever triggers an ovum to begin developing toward a human life, whether or not it's in a uterus. Some scientists agree with this definition, while others [probably the majority] do not. They see it as killing a human being [not implanting it into a uterus is the equivalent of killing soomeone by denying them the nutrients they need to survive].

A note of interest is that, in the polls I have seen, people will largely support embryonic stem cell research if cloning is not mentioned or used [the Castle-DeGette bill fits this definition]. If cloning is mentioned, people will oppose it.

-Steven
    ...how did it end up like this? it was only a kiss, it was only a kiss.

Bump for Susan Fajt,