Thread: Sliding Shower Bench?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Sliding Shower Bench?

Hi. After 5 years it's time to replace my shower bench, that is looking a little worse for ware with all the duct tape "patches" I've used to patch the tears in the vinyl.

I saw this in Ebay while searching for "padded shower bench". Have any of you ever used this? If so, is it worth the $200 + price? Would it be easier to transfer to when space is tight? Currently, to get onto my shower bench, I have to put my legs in my tub first, then slide onto the commode chair, then from there, slide onto the shower bench. It works, but takes quite a bit of effort and stress on my already damaged shoulders.

Between the toilet and where the tub is placed, this is the only way for me to find room to place my chair in an optimal position to transfer safely, and reasonably.

I'd re-do my bathroom if I had the money, for sure, but I don't, so I must live with this solution.

Anyway, if any of you have used it or have a better solution that won't cost more than a couple hundred dollars at most, let me know. The image is attached herein.

Thanks!
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-01-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Right-size photo

Are the patches the only issue or is it not functioning mechanically anymore? I go to stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross to find yoga mats ($10). I cut them up and use them to cover my shower chair. The yoga mat material does well getting wet and drying out over and over. Usually lasts me about 4-5 months before I put new material on it.

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County
    That's a great idea about the yoga mat. The legs on mine are rusting and ruining my tub. I had one once that collapsed while I was sitting on it due to the rust. I never want to experience that again. I don't know how they rust since supposedly they are made out of aluminum. I think I've gotten my money's worth after 5 years anyway. It's showing its age and may even be dangerous to continue to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman9513 View Post
    Are the patches the only issue or is it not functioning mechanically anymore? I go to stores like TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Ross to find yoga mats ($10). I cut them up and use them to cover my shower chair. The yoga mat material does well getting wet and drying out over and over. Usually lasts me about 4-5 months before I put new material on it.
    How do you attach the yoga mat pieces to the bench? My bench is in decent shape still but it needs padding.

Quote Originally Posted by sledgrl View Post
    How do you attach the yoga mat pieces to the bench? My bench is in decent shape still but it needs padding.
    On my shower chair (not sure about a bench), the seat is attached with two wingnut screws. I pull the seat off and cut the mat to the shape of the seat and wrap it under so that when I put it back on it's folded under and sandwiched between the frame and seat. On the other sides and on the bottom of the seat I also use duct tape. I've tried Gorilla glue before but I wouldn't suggest that as it gets hard and if you get too much gooped up it will be a hard little spot under the mat, which could eventually protrude.

I can take pictures if you want but basically get a sharp knife and cut to the shape of the bench so that it wraps underneath, then several strips of duct tape on the underside. You can layer if you need more cushioning.

If your bench is spitting rust then I would get a new one. But check to make sure it is the legs and not just a smaller component like a nut or bolt that can be swapped out. I took my shower chair apart and sprayed truck bed liner on it to give more protection than just the powder coat and paint.

Was at Lowe's this evening and saw this. Giving it a try on another project but looks like it may be the best adhesive since it's waterproof and flexible.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_182533-133-0...32&Ntt=loctite

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/cnt...e-Adhesive.htm