Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stripped bolts

Stripped bolts

So I was trying to lower my backrest on my Zra series 1 and I managed to get one of the Allen bolts out but in the process of trying to get the other one out I managed to strip the bolt. So now I have no clue how to get it out. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by SequinScandal; 03-24-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Yes, do you have a pair of Visegrip pliers?
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-23-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I believe so. Do you think I can grip the bolt with those and try to unscrew it? I just don't think I'm going to be able to get a good grip

Depending on how tight the screw is, it can be tricky but doable. Just grip it as tight as possible. If you can't get a good grip on the head of the screw, you could try and take a dremel and cut a slot in the head. Then unscrew it with a flathead screwdriver. If that doesn't work, then there are tools out there to remove it.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/produ...FQdU4AodyS8A4g

I think they sell something similar at Lowes or Home Depot. In the past, I just cut the head off and drill out the shank. It's a little more work, but I didn't have to go out and buy a special tool.

Any kind of locking pliers will need to fit the location as well as be able to then move. There are needle-nose locking but these usually provide less leverage.

Sometimes if you strip an SAE head allen bolt you can try a metric head of next larger size and it will fit and be tight enough to loosen the bolt. You can also try a Torx (sometimes called Star TR) wrench, they are star shaped and may fit in your stripped bolt head. If this works then replace stripped head bolt asap after removal.

The stock TiLite bolts are crap, I don't know why they don't spend a couple pennies more and put higher quality ones in. I have replaced all the bolts in my Zra with ones from http://www.mcmaster.com/

If you don't have or want to buy some tools, take it to a local car mechanic or bike shop.

What would I need to buy to just cut it off? That sounds like the easiet option.

I added a photo dunno if it helps any