Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Side by Side refrigerators accessable?

Are Side by Side refrigerators accessable?

I'm splurging for a new fridge, and wondering what the most accessable type would be. Right now we have a regular one with the freezer on top. My hubby can get into it - sort of- but not so much the freezer, so I was thinking a side by side would be better. Hate to get one if he's gonna hate it. Anyone have one of these and love it?

Forgot to say that he is C6/7 and in a WC full time

They make refrigerators with the freezer being a slide out compartment on the bottom. I have one and it works well for me.

I'm guessing...because I use a wheeled walker most of the time...but I would think that one of those with the freezer on the bottom and double doors would be best, particurlarly one with big shelves in the doors where you could most of the stuff he uses.

Because of the seat on the walker (which I use to carry stuff) I can't go at my single door fridge straight on. I have to come at it from the side. If he has foot pedals that stick out in front of him, he'd have the same problem. And, because the freezers on top, I can't reach stuff on the referigerator shelves unless its right in front.

We just had to buy a new fridge and I opted for the freezer drawer on the bottom and the two doors on top, with deep shelves in the doors, this is all good but the problem hubby has now is the things on the shelves is too far back in there to reach. There is always a downfall to everything it seems.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    We have a side by side. I like it. We have a long narrow kitchen. So the smaller doors take up less space when I swing them open.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Whatever's at the top of a full size fridge will be inaccessible, and if you live with a walker, they're always putting stuff up there out of reach.

An alternative might be two undercounter units - one freezer and one fridge.

There really are a bunch of designs. Probably be best to go to a few places and actually "try." Going to actually see wil allow you to see cost.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I have a side by side and it works great. Only the very top shelf cannot be reached. Go with a counter depth frig so it isn't too deep.

I love my Kenmore PRO side by side but i'm looking at the Fridgeidaire pro for the new house