Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hand controls, very confused

hand controls, very confused

Hi, I just joined this community, and I'm really glad to have found it. I just bought a new/used car, and want to get the hand controls from my old car installed on the new car. The controls are 'monarch' brand.

The old car was a 2000 bmw 323, and the 'new' car is a 2009 bmw 328. I thought the transfer of the hand controls would be pretty simple and straight-forward. but, of course, I was being pretty naive. I'm told the newer bmw does not have a removable 'knee-panel' in the dashboard, and that a big hunk of the under side of the dash will have to be cut out, in order to access the steering column and install the hand controls.

I don't really want to have my dashboard cut into pieces, if i can avoid it. does anyone have experience with this? are there alternatives to cutting away the dash to access the steering column?

basically, i'm interested in hearing about any alternative installations, alternative kinds of of hand controls, etc.

i had my last car for so long, and haven't had to deal with this in ages. what are my options?

many, many thanks!
    Peter

Blog Entries
    Be cheaper to get a new one that fits the 328. I've been using Wells Engberg CT100 (twist grip)for the last 3 years and find it the best out of the 4 that I have used.

Added: I don't have a BMW...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I am not sure what the BMW has for shifter etc, but take a look at this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3x9Zfe2MP4 I have no idea of cost.

For more options, i suggest looking at some videos on youtube.

Hope this helps
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Or PHC quick install hand controls, would not have to tear apart the dash at all as long as you don't mind a push/pull control. I have friends that use these as daily drivers, I have a pair but just use for rentals.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I went from a 1990 BMW 525 with Monarchs to a 1999 BMW 528 wagon and was told the much the same thing (also something about the tilt & telescope steering wheel). I got Mennox in the new car, and it was not a good choice. The next car I get will have to accommodate Monarchs or something similar. I'm happy to have the dash cut up if it makes it possible to install controls that don't have my back in agony after 50 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    .... I got Mennox in the new car, and it was not a good choice. The next car I get will have to accommodate Monarchs or something similar. I'm happy to have the dash cut up if it makes it possible to install controls that don't have my back in agony after 50 miles.
    What was wrong with the Menox for your situation? I have them in my 2012 VW and think they are fantastic. I do rest my elbow on the center consol for support. I drive 100 miles a day w/o any issues.

I like the fact that I can tilt and telescope my steering column with the Menox controls. No cutting of the dash either.

Quote Originally Posted by 2TiRods View Post
    What was wrong with the Menox for your situation? I have them in my 2012 VW and think they are fantastic. I do rest my elbow on the center consol for support. I drive 100 miles a day w/o any issues.

I like the fact that I can tilt and telescope my steering column with the Menox controls. No cutting of the dash either.
    Are you using cruise control for any part of your trips? I find having to maintain tension (pulling back) on the hand control over long periods to be very fatiguing and that it eventually produces a great deal of upper back pain. I don't have a center console conveniently located to rest my elbow.

I also don't like the fact that I have to hang on to the hand control with the same hand that I might otherwise use to fiddle with the radio or grab my sunglasses - in left hand drive cars, everything's on the right.

Check out Suregrip's website. There are some pics for the 3 series for your model year.

http://www.suregrip-hvl.com/techloun...-controls.html

I use suregrips and set them up so I can tilt and telescop the steering wheel. Most places will just disconnect these functions and leave the wheel tilted up because that's the easy way out of it.

One reason I stick with American cars is because they are much easier of install with the hand controls. A lot of the german cars have knee bolsters which are a pain to work around and must be disconnected. Sometimes even disconnecting them is a tough thing, it must be done by the dealer with their master canbus computer and some will even refuse to do it. I had thought about a mercedes AMG a while back, but when I looked into the hand control install I ended up with a Cadillac CTS-V. The install in this car was a breeze. One thing I do not like though with the Suregrip hand controls is the newly designed el cheapo locking mechanism. It comes off fairly easily which defeats the whole purpose of even having it. I tried to bring this to companies attention but they did not return my call. The old locking pin mechanism was much better.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I agree with you on the questionable locking mechanism. But it's ease of use more then outweighs this negative, at least compared to my MPDs. In fact, I don't even think my MPDs have a locking mechanism.