Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Veteran paralysed by sniper bullet plans to starve himself to death

I believe in every ones right to make life and death decisions. It's done everyday with living wills and DNRs. But making the conscious decision to starve oneself to death kinda stinks. But I will not condemn his actions. Thinking of family and friends, would it not be better to eat the barrel of a 9mm and get the heck over with?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    He should have enough pain meds around to take care of business.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I believe most life insurance policies do not cover suicide. He does have the right to refuse treatment which could include food. He might very well be thinking of what is best for his family.
    Finbar

He was a T1 para but when I recently saw him interviewed he said that his arm (right or left?) swelled up to twice its size so he went to the hospital. I think he must have had a blood clot in it and it moved up to his brain or spinal cord, making him into a virtual or actual quad.

Both his arms look very skinny now, not like a paras.

His speech is kinda slurred now too and I don't think it's because of drugs. I think it has to do with the blood clot he had.

He seemed so upbeat before... what the complications of a SCI, especially pain, will do to a person is incalculable. Sad.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

And we cannot even let such a man have a death with diginity. Shameful.
    And the truth shall set you free.

Out here in Oregon we have assessed suicide, but you have to have a diagnoses of death in the near future, to use it. But in Switzerland you can use assessed suicide even if you are not terminal. A women over there used assessed suicide to end her life, because she was in massive pain from arthritis all over her body, but was not terminal. And you can go to Switzerland as a tourist to use this service. Maybe he just needs to take a vacation to Switzerland, if he could handle the trip. Do you guys think that are assessed suicide law out here in Oregon should be changed to allow non terminal people, like this veteran?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

KLD, correct me if I am wrong but you only get placed in hospice care if you are deemed "terminal within 1 year".
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake View Post
    KLD, correct me if I am wrong but you only get placed in hospice care if you are deemed "terminal within 1 year".
    If it is done under Medicare, the criteria is less than 6 months life expectancy for hospice care.

(KLD)

I noticed on the Daily Mail that someone wrote:

He should never give up. There are thousands of others like him who are in pain and confined for life to wheelchairs yet still manage to find courage, goodness and purpose with each new dawn. Hopefully, some of those men and women will see this news story and contact Tomas Young with their own stories of strength, hope and survival.
    - Cleo , Houston, 22/3/2013 16:09
    Click to rate Rating 8

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PF4gwFhx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So.....someone on here (not me) needs to write to this guy. He actually is not the only one out there dealing with these issues......it might actually make a difference....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I noticed on the Daily Mail that someone wrote:

He should never give up. There are thousands of others like him who are in pain and confined for life to wheelchairs yet still manage to find courage, goodness and purpose with each new dawn. Hopefully, some of those men and women will see this news story and contact Tomas Young with their own stories of strength, hope and survival.
    - Cleo , Houston, 22/3/2013 16:09

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2PF4gwFhx
    Undoubtably someone who does not personally live with a SCI...

(KLD)