Thread: Gabapentin options?

Gabapentin options?

I am a L1 paraplegic with a lot of nerve pain in my legs, seems to have gotten worse in the last few months. My doctor has me on 600 mg of gabapentin at bedtime. He is worried about weight gain and so am I, but the amount is not working. Are there other options? What have any of you found that works? The Pain sensation is to the point I cant ignore any more.

tjcp - hi . 600 mg gabapentin at night might help a diabetic with early neuropathy but the kind of SCI neuropathy around these parts (the wonderful world of SCI pain) needs WAY more drug to be effective. So you may have to educate your doctor ( I assume he is not a SCI PM&R doc) that you may need to ramp up to 3200 mg/day in 3 or 4 divided doses as long as you can tolerate the side effects of dopiness that subside sometimes.
    Weight gain - There are calories taken in (eating) and calories burned (exercise and activity). Burn more calories with exercise and eat a clean diet. Not so much low cal but no crap food - empty calories. Maybe you can lose weight !
    So that is a starting point and this site if you use the search has more on neuropathic pain than any other place on the web with good information.
    I like your avatar of Charlie Brown.

am on 2400 mg a day myself, don't think 600 would do anything at all. So far NO weight gain.

My Dad takes 800mg three times a day (2400mg total) and used to take more (3200mg). No weight gain. He thinks it makes him tired, but he also doesn't get enough sleep so who knows.

Do you only have pain bothering you at night? Is that the reason you are only taking it at night-time?

When I was on gabapentin one of the thinks I noticed was that after a meal, I could not tell when I was full. So I would eat to much, trying to feel full, I think that is why people gain weight. Had to quit taking it because I could not tolerate all the side affects, like dry socket, rotting my teeth away.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old