Thread: 2GX Removing Integrated Push Handles

2GX Removing Integrated Push Handles

Another reconfiguration/swapping out question. I'm trying to remove Integrated Push Handles from an Adjustable Height Backrest on a 2GX. I've already removed the armrest receivers (as instructed on opage 28 of the manual) but still can not manage to get them out.

Question: I'm not sure if this is a case where Loctite was involved, or if I need to also remove the anti-tip receptacles. Any input?

Here are pictures with the armrest receivers off, but the anti-tip receptacles on.

(click to make larger)
    (click to make larger)

BTW, In case you are curious, I'm trying to do this to retrofit ZRA standard Velcro back upholstery that we had extra after purchasing an ADI back for the ZRA. Overall, it looks like it will work, as long as I can get the Integrated Push Handles out. We currently have a Jay Basic Back on the 2GX, and excuse the description, but it sucks (heavy, falls off, etc.).
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I don't know for sure, but from the looks of it you're going to need to remove the fasteners on those anti tippers to be able to pull out the integrated push handles.

Per TiLite's folding-chair's user manual, it appears at least one of the bolts that holds the armrest (edit to say anti=-tipper) socket also secures the backrest/push-handle strut.

Attachment 49053
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-21-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Those are swing away handles not integrated like on elarson's chair. The swing away ones are trivial to remove (you just need to buy a couple shorter bolts if you want it to look clean). Not sure how to remove the integrated ones.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Per TiLite's folding-chair's user manual, it appears at least one of the bolts that holds the armrest socket also secures the backrest/push-handle strut.

Attachment 49053

From my post above:

Attachment 49054

The armrest socket bolts are in similar location to anti-tipper sockets.

Attachment 49056

I think she wants to remove the integrated push-handle back canes temporarily to install the other backrest fabric on them. You cannot actually permanently remove the integrated push handles without cutting them off or replacing the canes.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-21-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Chas - Nice of you to look it up in the manual. I had seen that on figure 20 also, and they do look just like the ones holding the anti-tip receptacles. Looks like I need to only remove one on each side though.

Basically there are no other possible screws to remove, so this must be it. After my bad luck with Loctite this week, I just thought I would double check first.

I guess when they say "integrated" they really mean it! Thanks everyone.

Update: I removed only the top allen screw and it easily came off.
    Last edited by elarson; 03-22-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    From my post above:

Attachment 49054

The armrest socket bolts are in similar location to anti-tipper sockets.

Attachment 49056

I think she wants to remove the integrated push-handle back canes temporarily to install the other backrest fabric on them. You cannot actually permanently remove the integrated push handles without cutting them off or replacing the canes.
    Ahh my bad, I though they wanted to remove the push handles and had no idea where the armrest thing came in.

You not bad. I'm doing reconfiguration/swapping on 2 chairs at the same time, and probably did not explain it well. I'm also exhausted. I only needed to remove the push handles temporarily to put new back upholstery on.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Ahh my bad, I though they wanted to remove the push handles and had no idea where the armrest thing came in.

I'm very happy that I was able to swap out the ZRA standard Velcro back upholstery onto a 2GX with push handles. It took a lot more work than expected in getting the push handles off to be able to put the "ears" onto the posts, but worked. The critical piece was using a screw that we had extra from the ADI back to be able to secure it under the push handles. Worked like a charm, and is so much better than the solid Jay Basic that always fell off. Much safer too. It does not fold great, because the cushioning is thicker than is probably normal, but it works well enough.

I also found a mistake I made earlier with the flip-back armrests, and think they are much stronger now, and better for transfers. It also got a complete tune-up and cleaning, though as always, I'm struggling with caster hair.

Now just to get a new cushion, better side guards, the anti-tips not sticking out so far, and swapping the brakes for the composites from the ZRA once we have the D's Locks, this chair is 100% ready to roll.

It's only used a few hours a day upstairs, so we have time to sort it out. With the exception of tinkering with the fold-up mechanism (which I don't want to do), I think I have had every screw off this chair at least once, and some, many, many times. It's been great to learn from, and really makes the ZRA seem much easier to work with.

Last edited by elarson; 03-23-2013 at 06:38 AM.