Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When Does It STOP!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post

Anyone with a SP what type of clothing do you wear and do you run your catheter down through your pants or on the outside when sitting up in your chair?
    Requires absolutely nothing special clothing wise. The SP cath goes down from the stoma (which is below your belly button, mid way to your pubic bone) to a leg band, which connects to tubing that goes to a leg bag or bed bag. So the SP tube is basically strapped to YOU the whole way and does not interfere with clothing if you have on a leg bag. Thus, you can wear any clothes you want, including shorts (there are belly bags and with long shorts, you can hide a leg bag on your upper thigh). Chad wears regular jeans, dress pants, whatever. You can even wear regular clothes with a SP hooked up to a beg bag, you can just run the tubing up through and over the waist band and hook the bag on the wheelchair, preferably with a cover over the bag and the tubing covered in tape or coban just to be modest.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Rainman, not in the true sense of the word we weren't physically shown but it was explained. My urologist sent out a nurse from a company called Butte Home Health to do the procedure and the bottle of sterile solution water she left is really tiny. I thought I heard her say after a bottle is open it has an expiration date could that be true.

I can't get into my urologist until April 11 but the Home Health nurse said any supplies or help I needed would be through them. I guess I'd better call them tomorrow and inquire about a bigger flushing kit in case it's needed and a friend of mine told me too ask about silver lined catheters..?

zillazangel, thank you for that information being a country boy I like to wear my levi's and if I go out to functions I wasn't excited about the prospects of having a bag hanging off my chair. But as we all know we do what we have to do to get through the day :-)
    I wasn't worried about the waistband pinching it off lord knows I expanded them to fit two people thanks to my lovely quad belly. More so whether the SP would get pinched off going down to the pants.

Well it's time too long all for the night I hope everyone sleeps well and thank you all for passing along your valuable information. I'm embarrassed to admit I've been in the chair 28 years and don't know any of this.. That's why I love this website!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Rainman, not in the true sense of the word we weren't physically shown but it was explained. My urologist sent out a nurse from a company called Butte Home Health to do the procedure and the bottle of sterile solution water she left is really tiny. I thought I heard her say after a bottle is open it has an expiration date could that be true.

I can't get into my urologist until April 11 but the Home Health nurse said any supplies or help I needed would be through them. I guess I'd better call them tomorrow and inquire about a bigger flushing kit in case it's needed and a friend of mine told me too ask about silver lined catheters..?

zillazangel, thank you for that information being a country boy I like to wear my levi's and if I go out to functions I wasn't excited about the prospects of having a bag hanging off my chair. But as we all know we do what we have to do to get through the day :-)
    I wasn't worried about the waistband pinching it off lord knows I expanded them to fit two people thanks to my lovely quad belly. More so whether the SP would get pinched off going down to the pants.

Well it's time too long all for the night I hope everyone sleeps well and thank you all for passing along your valuable information. I'm embarrassed to admit I've been in the chair 28 years and don't know any of this.. That's why I love this website!
    The problem is sooner or later your foley is going to get clogged. And your going to need to clear it. And its simple to do, so please have that nurse show you how to clear it. Other wise your going to get a bad case of ad and wet yourself.

Rainman, I will definitely make sure they give us some detailed instructions plus I've watched some videos online it doesn't look too difficult.

Does anyone have an opinion on which Foley catheter are better? I figure the more knowledge I have when I go in to see my urologist the better and who better to ask then you all :-)

BTW I discovered according to this nursing agency to receive their services I have to be " homebound" so I need them too teach us how to install one " which they require" asap so I can go on my vacation with my GF April 16..

Use a silicone foley, not latex. You're bound sooner or later to develop an allergy to the latex ones. Putting a foley in is super super easy.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Had to go to a meeting today and the whole time I felt flush with sweats, when I got home we drained my leg bag and discovered it was full of blood and stringy sediment.

So on my third day of having a Foley catheter I've had my first what the F&*k! I called my urologist who is putting me on a medication called levaquin until I can get a urine sample sent in tomorrow 'cause he thinks it's from a uti. I was fighting uti for about two months and just finished a round of antibiotics A little over a week ago so I thought I had kick it and never did I have any blood in my urine.

O yeah I just got a call from my mother whose at the pharmacy and this levaquin is $179 cash money! So folks at the moment as the old saying goes I'm bent over a barrel and taking it well you know.. So if anyone else out there wants their turn step right up I only ask that you kiss me before you leave. .lol

zillazangel, thank you my dear for that information silicone not latex.

OK I'm off to grab a bite to eat and maybe throw things at the wall :-)

Had to go to a meeting today and the whole time I felt flush with sweats, when I got home we drained my leg bag and discovered it was full of blood and stringy sediment.

So on my third day of having a Foley catheter I've had my first what the F&*k! I called my urologist who is putting me on a medication called levaquin until I can get a urine sample sent in tomorrow 'cause he thinks it's from a uti. I was fighting uti for about two months and just finished a round of antibiotics A little over a week ago so I thought I had kick it and never did I have any blood in my urine.

O yeah I just got a call from my mother whose at the pharmacy and this levaquin is $179 cash money! So folks at the moment as the old saying goes I'm bent over a barrel and taking it well you know.. So if anyone else out there wants their turn step right up I only ask that you kiss me before you leave. .lol

zillazangel, thank you my dear for that information silicone not latex.

OK I'm off to grab a bite to eat and maybe throw things at the wall :-)
    Ask your doctor to subscribe cipro instead. It's the same drug but some pharmacies sell that very cheap. Some for a few dollars. Try walmart or publix.

We didn't purchase it the pharmacist in our small town said that 12 hours wasn't going to make a difference and that we should wait and get it from costco (cheaper) in a neighboring town tomorrow.

So levaquin and cipro are the same drug? Now three weeks ago this persistent uti I mentioned was found to be resistant to cipro. Why the hell would he start this cycle again I guess I'll find out in the morning.

Cipro is ciprofloxacin and levaquin is levofloxacin. Different antibiotics in the same class of drugs. I hope this latest problem clears up quickly. It's awful when disasters keep piling up and a great day is a day when nothing rotten happens.

Before Medicare Part D went into effect I remember paying over a $100 for a script of Cipro. Even for the generic ciprofloxacin. But now, at many large grocery store chains like Publix here in Florida, their pharmacies will give ciprofloxacin and many other antibiotics away for free. Or sometimes they'll charge just $4.00. Ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin are in the same family and sometimes can be used interchangeably. What a rip-off at $179... out-of-pocket! Sometimes they sure do see us coming. Sorry.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria