Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: User Friendly Anti-tips too low

User Friendly Anti-tips too low

We are having a small problem with the User Friendly Anti-tips being too low. The Owners Manual says they should be between 1-1/2 inches to 2 inches off the ground when they are in the “down” position. They are now, only 1.25 inches off the ground. We have 5" ramps in the house, and they drag.

We would like them 2 inches off the ground. I have adjusted the release button to the farthest that it will go (hole 5 in this photo). Do you think that maybe TiLite used the wrong upper or lower tube, or does anyone have any other idea's?

[Note: I have also asked our supplier, but would like to hear input from here also]
    Last edited by elarson; 03-23-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Removed the image, because it was the wrong anti-tip
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I had this problem when I got my new tr in 2007. Tilite makes it so the lower tube is too long to goto the lowest hole. I trimmed my lower tube so it could go around the bend in the upper tube using a pipe cutter, or you can use a hacksaw.

A pipe cutter would make short work of that. Too short and they won't work, though. Wonder if that's why it stops where it does? Their proper function is dependent on their total length as well as height off the floor.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

It's in design like others just stated. Didn't your final drawing indicate travel limitations of adjustable pieces due to frame desing and your specific measurements, because it SURELY SHOULD HAVE. Same goes for things like complete swing/rotation of front wheel. They do allow you to add options that create problems like this, where all of a sudden something does not work based on the individual adjustments they sell for each piece. The drawing SHOULD HAVE INDICATED THIS!

If you get them to the 2", I suggest doing some tests like your ramp or other areas where tippers come into play. The height change you would like, will really change overall angle or chair when in play and significantly move your upper body weight.

Rlmtrhmiles: I don't think there is anything in our chair that is not standard about RSH. The CAD drawing does not show accessories like anti-tips. The CAD drawing did show caster swing/rotation, and it was accurate (I think you are referring to my other post?). I'm not looking to change this drastically, just to the upper end of the recommend distance.

DaleB and Amyk: I've taken this up with the supplier, and know that there are shorter tubes available. Since they let it leave the factory with a lower than recommended off the ground distance, I'll leave it to them to sort it out. I kind of just wanted to make sure I was not doing something stupid. Our other anti-tips are the standard ones, and they are too high!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

My kuschall champion was exactly the same. In both cases, the supplier fixed it in front of me at the shop when I picked it up. I was told it's a safety feature. It's a pain in the ass, but it only takes a minute, and it doesn't have to be measured exactly because it functions from the button/hole and both the edges are the same colour

You should be able to loosen the "receiver" on the axle, and rotate it slightly, which will raise the anti-tips.

I seem to recall having to do that with my son's TiLite, as he wanted the anti-tips raised high enough so that he could still wheelie, whilst letting him sit back on the anti-tips whilst resting.

By doing what others have suggested, you may make it too easy to tip backwards beyond the anti-tip "protection" as the anti-tips may be positioned too far inwards.

I'm also assuming that the diagram you have shown is not what is on your chair (ie the diagram is not of the User-Friendly Anti-Tips that I have seen in your photos of the chair). The User-Friendly function is the one thing that I miss about the TiLite when compared to the Icon that my son uses now....

And congrats on the new chair...finally...some journey!!
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I've been contacted by TiLite to be in touch with them. I'd like to get their input before going any further with this. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'll do an update when I know more.

Hi Gordy,

Thanks for catching that. I accidently showed the parts drawing from the 2GX chair we have which are "standard" instead of the "User-Friendly". The problem is ultimately the same, and I'll try to update the picture later.

I also really like the User-Friendly's. What a difference they should make with me as helper being able to raise them.

Thanks for the congrats. It's been a journey, but we are totally thrilled with the new chair. the Anti-tip thing is very minor, relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I'm also assuming that the diagram you have shown is not what is on your chair (ie the diagram is not of the User-Friendly Anti-Tips that I have seen in your photos of the chair). The User-Friendly function is the one thing that I miss about the TiLite when compared to the Icon that my son uses now....

And congrats on the new chair...finally...some journey!!