Thread: Insurance until medicare kicks in?

Insurance until medicare kicks in?

Hey im on disability and my medicaid has run out, now theres a 24 month wait till medicare kicks in, what are you guys doing for insurance in the mean time!? Thank You! Mike

Can you get Cobra from your prior employer? You would have had to have signed up for that within one month after leaving your job. Otherwise, you will have to pay for it privately until Medicare kicks in. Pricey and a problem, as many insurances will refuse to cover your pre-existing conditions.

Have you been without insurance for 6 months? Then you can apply in your state for a special program for those with pre-existing conditions to help you get a more affordable health plan that covers your conditions. See the info I pasted below ***

Starting in 2014, Obamacare will require all health plans in your state to sell you their insurance without discriminating because of your health issues, at the same price other people pay.

Eligible residents of Wisconsin can apply for coverage through the state’s Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan program run by the Health Insurance Risk-Sharing Plan (HIRSP) Authority.
    To qualify for coverage:

• You must be a citizen or national of the United States or residing in the United States legally.
    • You must have been uninsured for at least the last six months before you apply.
    • You must have a pre-existing condition or have been denied coverage because of your health condition.

The Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan covers a broad range of health benefits, including primary and specialty care, hospital care, and prescription drugs. All covered benefits are available for you, even if it’s to treat a pre-existing condition.

Premium: $94 to $754 per month
    Deductible: $500, $1,000, $2,500, or $3,500
    Out of Pocket Limit:
    $1,000 for medical, $2,000 for pharmacy

To contact this program, please call 1-888-253-2698 or visit http://www.hirsp.org/plans/federal-plans.shtml.
    Last edited by hlh; 03-20-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Curious, how does you Medicaid 'run out'?? If you are still eligible from a financial standpoint, and still disabled, your Medicaid should continue until and actually concurrent with your Medicare in 24 months.

(KLD)

I was on SSI about $750 a month, now SSDI about $1700 a month. Just getting frustrated....

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Yes it sucks. I also lost my medicaid when I started recieving SSDI and had to pay my own medical expenses until Medicare kicked in, which will seem like forever. You wash and re-use caths, buy only meds that are absolutely necessary(I quit pain killers and spasm meds and toughed it out), and pinch pennies. They didn't have the Odumba plan when I had to go through this, lucky for you they at least have a little something for guatenteed insurance, but not sure if pricing is any better than out of pocket? You are getting more SSDI than I did and I made it through.
    If you have a bunch of loans, you're pretty much screwed. You should've planned for this, it happens.

Google "pickle law" you may be eligible for that program, I don't know, but it's a shot......

Also check to see if you are eligible for a "share of cost" medicaid Based on the income states some agencies will allow it but, for instance in Florida with the level of income medicaid would not pay anything until you have incurred about $1600 in bill that month. Not ideal, but if you were hospitalized or something it would help
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    Also check to see if you are eligible for a "share of cost" medicaid Based on the income states some agencies will allow it but, for instance in Florida with the level of income medicaid would not pay anything until you have incurred about $1600 in bill that month. Not ideal, but if you were hospitalized or something it would help
    I think it was like $800 in Illinois when I went through this transition, but my meds and crap were only about $500 a month. Pisses me off that they give and give to public aid and a working person has a tragic accident and is screwed.