Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: open own business

  1. #1
    Senior Member drew82586's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    312

    open own business

    Had a quick question... wasnt sure if you would know of anyone or any info, Im looking into wanting to start my own salon. I was previously involved with ovr, and it didnt work out bc of me not knowing what I wanted to do or persue. So... the lady actually seemed very irritated with me and closed my account twice. But I was wondering if you knewvof any companies or help out there, for me to start my own business. If not, guess it was worth a try! Lol I would think there would be, since im single, handicapped, unemployed woman... but who knows with this government!
    Guess I didnt look much on here yet, so if its already been asked, sorry.
    Thanks so much!
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

    most recent video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

  2. #2
    Try the SBA(small business administration). Not sure if they offer loans anymore, but they do have counselors(usually retired business owners) who can guide you through the process.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by drew82586 View Post
    Had a quick question... wasnt sure if you would know of anyone or any info, Im looking into wanting to start my own salon. I was previously involved with ovr, and it didnt work out bc of me not knowing what I wanted to do or persue. So... the lady actually seemed very irritated with me and closed my account twice. But I was wondering if you knewvof any companies or help out there, for me to start my own business. If not, guess it was worth a try! Lol I would think there would be, since im single, handicapped, unemployed woman... but who knows with this government!
    Guess I didnt look much on here yet, so if its already been asked, sorry.
    Thanks so much!
    I thought I would save you sometime. I have known a few people apply for the loan and they had working businesses that were profitable. And they were turned down. First thing its a very long process. You must show a real plan and you must have a lot of experiance in that line of work.

    The best way to get the loan and i'm not kidding. Become a large fund raiser for a politician and have him push the loan for you.

  4. #4
    If your really serious and you feel good at what your going to be doing maybe a family member like your mom or your dad might co-sign a loan for you to get you off the ground. That's how I did it with my first business. My dad had real confidence in me and co-signed a hundred thousand dollar loan to get my first service station off the ground. I bought the place renovated it over the years as it became more and more busy and then I bought another place. It all worked out good, a lot of people told me "oh your disabled you can't be a success in that kind of business" well they were wrong. My father has been gone for over 4 years now, but I'll never forget all he did for me and that was mainly having the confidence in me and it allowed me to fulfill my dreams. If you can offer great service and are a good manager of people (the people who work for you) you can do it!!! Your a nice looking young woman and that helps out when your meeting people as I was a handsome young man @ 27 years old when I started out with my first station. People use to have a hell of a lot of respect for me with all the hours and work I put into that place, they would tell their friends and relatives and business built up very quickly, you will go through hard times, at one point they tore up the whole highway I was located on to rebuild it and traffic was detoured, but I made it through it and came back stronger. When life throws you a curve, you go for the hit, lol.

    I went through the same kind of things your going through when I was young. I trained hard on the leg braces thinking I could make it amount to something. I finally just came to terms with the chair and moved on with my life. I got my education, bit the bullet and kept on pushing. Still alive @ 55 and enjoying life.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  5. #5
    Connect w/ a local small business development center. Cost = $0, or not much.

    @ Pitt: http://www.business.pitt.edu/katz/sbdc/index/php

    Go for it.

    oh, and co-signing a loan with a family member is trouble waiting to happen if things don't work out as planned. Don't do it. (Sorry Curt.)

  6. #6
    Opening your own business, esp. in today's economy is not easy. Have you already been working in a salon, either as an employee or renting a booth?? If you don't have a history of work in the field, and a pretty good sized panel of customers who will follow you to your own business, getting funding for a notoriously unstable field like a salon will be very difficult. I assume you already have your license?

    (KLD)

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Opening your own business, esp. in today's economy is not easy.
    It's never easy. Don't discourage it though. Small business is the backbone of our economy.

  8. #8
    I think it's more about being a good manager of people rather than even direct experience. I actually learned a lot from my workers, a lot of them brought ideas to the business. If you can hire the right kind of people and do the right type of advertising for a reasonable price your going to do well, well that and give people the kind of service they expect in a timely fashion and have a nice clean place. I was not going to fail because I did not want to end up in debt for the rest of my life.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I think it's more about being a good manager of people rather than even direct experience. I actually learned a lot from my workers, a lot of them brought ideas to the business. If you can hire the right kind of people and do the right type of advertising for a reasonable price your going to do well, well that and give people the kind of service they expect in a timely fashion and have a nice clean place. I was not going to fail because I did not want to end up in debt for the rest of my life.
    KLD is right. The salon business is the toughest type of business. You really need to join a franchise or spend a ton on advertising. And the income doesn't warrant the spending. Most of these salon rent out there space to the hairdresser for a certain amout per day or week. The more customers your place draws the more you charge for the space. I have a family member upnorth that owns a chain of them, and he said it's very tough. He's been in it for over 50 years.

  10. #10
    Everybody says every business is tough and will try to talk you out of getting in to it. I had that happen in the service station business. Everybody said, oh you will be making 3 to 5 cents a gallon and the repair and oil change business is not worth it. It all worked out though, in reality owning all the equipment and the property as unbranded I made much more than even I thought. I don't know much about the Salon business but I'd sure think if done right and as long as there is not too much competition in your area you could turn a profit.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 02:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •