Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Central Pain Solutions

I admit I didn't read this thread due to title. I have found absolutely no solution to central pain.

Quote Originally Posted by lavenderthistle View Post
    Clonazepam/klonopin....is a benzo and is an anti anxiety and anti seizure medication also prescribed for neuropathic pain.

I've been on it for over 10 years for panic and anxiety. I monitor my own interactions before I take anything, even if my doctor does prescribe it. Sometimes they screw up.

check this link.....you may be surprised by what you don't know or aren't told. You can type in every single medication you take even otc just to check for your own safety what interacts.

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php

I know you from appz and have seen you post several threads there about this too. A lot of us care about you. I have severe burning pain too...I'm resorting to topical lidocaine and lidocaine patches. Wearing compression garments on really hypersensitive spots helps, a hot bath can help. I can't even take a shower because it overloads my sensory nerves. The burning sucks...I detest the summer because of it. I'm starting my third year and my goal is to try to cut meds down or out. EFT can help for a few hours too, I've tried it.
    I know you, LT! The lidoderm patches never did anything for me when I had somatic/mechanical pain, but haven't tried them for burning, but I'd have to have 50 patches to cover all the burning spots.

What is EFT?

Electronic Funds Transfer....I am secretly a Nigerian princess....

Seriously....it's the emotional freedom technique.

http://eft.mercola.com/

Looks absolutely insane, but if you substitute words like pain or burning it does help in the short term.

Not a lot of people have the burning. I can only describe it as blistered sunburn, with sand stuck to it, standing under a hot shower trying to get the sand off.

I am trying a lidocaine gel all over (otc prep) it works for a short time. I have some meds (they don't help) and the lidoderm patches I plan to cut and place in the worst spots.

I get extreme hypersensitivity I have success controlling with compression. Sleeves on my arms, under armor works well, so do other layers protecting the skin from rubs.

I find the burning is mind over matter....in the summer I tend to lose my mind a bit. The more you can do to just focus away from the pain the better. It may sound stupid, but it can work.

I found that pot, while it took away the muscoskeletal pain, made my nerve burning worse.

Can you take a hot bath? If so try it. My magic temp is 106.6....i use an oral digital thermometer.

Typed this on my phone...plz ignore spelling and syntax errors.
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

CYP450 Gene Testing/ Pain and Many Other Medications

Here's a pretty good article on the test to determine how well one metabolizes a variety of medications. http://education.questdiagnostics.com/insights/36

Whether or not this is standard practice for PM docs I have no idea. Bear in mind that this article was written by a doc that works for the company that does the test.

Regardless, the test is FDA-approved. You could always ask your PM doc about this- print out the article and see if he/she thinks it is worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post

If necessary, would I ask him about switching out klonopin for valium? I know that the urologist gave me 10mg valium for taking prior to my cystoscopy to relax me but it didn't have an effect. I guess it would just take a higher dose since I have this crazy tolerance to everything. I've been this way since my teen years!
    Many urologists do this so they don't get kicked from a spastic leg during the procedure. It's fast acting so it works on most SCIs.

You've been on drugs like this since your teens?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.