Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Central Pain Solutions

Have you seen this?

http://pain-topics.org/pdf/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf

I was actually better prepared to talk to my doctor after reading a few things like this. I am as good at explaining my pain as I am responding to posts here.

Here is another but is more technical.

http://www.chirogeek.com/Chronic_Pain.pdf

It talks alot about medications in both. You can check off a lot of those that you have already tried.

I truly did not mean to make you feel as though I was tired of seeing your posts.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Ok. Sorry, I get a little sensitive and/or moody sometimes.

No, I'm not seeing anyone at Emory. I was at Emory hospital last year when I had C. Diff and cellulitis and that is where Emory's pain services visited me.

I am seeing a new doctor that I just started with last week. He is going to try me on Nucynta ER again. I took it last year and got some considerable relief then it seemed to poop out but I had a lot of other issues going on (infections, etc) so that may have affected it.

PM me and we can talk more.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    Oh NO NO NO and I didn't mean for my post to sound like you took it.

I wasn't meaning to sound as if I was lashing out.

Holy cow...I want you to find relief and I have been where you are. I will probably be there again. I nor anyone else is tired of your posts.

I am surprised that they took the Fent patch off so soon.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Honestly I know desperation too and I wish there was an easy fix.

So you are seeing someone at Emory. I thought you were still looking for a doctor? I am sorry. I really didn't mean for my post to sound as bad as it obviously does. I got no relief from Topamax either and I took if for a year or a little more. I have tried all the other ones too but my doctors always made me give them a couple of weeks to a month before I dismissed them as not working.

I really didn't get control of my pain until I learned the CBT and how to relax myself. It works for some and it doesn't for others.

I sent you a message.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    There's evidence that blood thinners inhibit RhoA. It'd be interesting to see if low dose aspirin and lithium worked better for your pain than lithium alone.
    Interesting. Thanks for that. Anything is worth a try...especially the way I'm feeling right now!
    Clayton
    "Wheelie Wanna Walk!"

I had success with the 100 mcg but it falls off real bad after 48 hrs. I felt relief from it after about 3 hrs. but they tell you to always have one on 24/7 and if your lucky you might find a Dr. who knows they don't last 72 hrs. like they advertise. One of the hardest things for me to remember to stay ahead of the pain. I hate to be on pills everyday of my life but I need to get over that because it is my life now. Remember stay ahead of the pain and it will help a lot!!!
    1 Corinthians 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by keiten06 View Post
    I had success with the 100 mcg but it falls off real bad after 48 hrs. I felt relief from it after about 3 hrs. but they tell you to always have one on 24/7 and if your lucky you might find a Dr. who knows they don't last 72 hrs. like they advertise. One of the hardest things for me to remember to stay ahead of the pain. I hate to be on pills everyday of my life but I need to get over that because it is my life now. Remember stay ahead of the pain and it will help a lot!!!
    I saw my PM doctor today and he would only give me 25mcg patches for 9 days then he would up it to 50. This is after I told him I had previously used 75mcg patches and they helped a little. You would think he would start at 50 or 75 then go to 100.

I'm so desperate... The worst pain of my life. I'm afraid to go to sleep because I know I'll wake up screaming in pain and start all over again.

I was going to go to the emergency room but I don't know if they can help.

I am trying to find another PM doctor but they all have these long drawn out procedures for getting records, "assessing" you, etc. I don't have all that time... I almost pass out from the pain sometimes.

Are you using marijuana? You sound very anxious and scared and I am very concerned about your welfare. When people are in pain they do whatever they need to do to get rid of the pain. I would also recommend you get a team approach to your pain, not just focusing on the medications but the coping with pain on a daily basis.

Did the PM provider give you Fentanyl patches? As with many neuropathic medication treatments they take a while to get a therapeutic level to help.

pbr

Fentanyl is fairly easy to overdose on and all the law suits I have seen against it are due to overdose through wrongful use. It makes sense the PM Dr. wants to work you up to a level that is effective. Take the warnings that come with the patches seriously it may save your life. Fentanyl is not something to be taken without restraint or foolishly. I'm not positive of the numbers but I think it is supposed to be about 100 times stronger than morphine. The SCI Nurse knows more I'm sure. Do Not Do More than your Dr recommends.
    1 Corinthians 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Are you using marijuana? You sound very anxious and scared and I am very concerned about your welfare. When people are in pain they do whatever they need to do to get rid of the pain. I would also recommend you get a team approach to your pain, not just focusing on the medications but the coping with pain on a daily basis.

Did the PM provider give you Fentanyl patches? As with many neuropathic medication treatments they take a while to get a therapeutic level to help.

pbr
    I was, but I stopped using when I started seeing the PM doctor as you're not allowed to have marijuana in your system while seeing him. They drug screen randomly. I was up front with him the first time I saw him and told him that the urine would show marijuana, as I was doing it several times a day, daily, but told him that I stopped. He told me yesterday that the level in my urine was low (from last time) so he could tell I had stopped.

I am very anxious and scared, although a little better today. Today is my 1 year mark from my SCI, and I am anxious/scared because of the future dealing with pain, and that I am not where I wanted to be, independence wise.

Insurance wouldn't pay for the way he wrote the Rx for the 25mcg patches, I guess he wrote it for enough patches to start with 1 and then go to 2 if necessary. Anyhow, they got it straightened out today and he went ahead and bumped it to 50mcg, telling me to give it 3 days to reach a therapeutic level. I'm hoping it helps.

I'll start another thread on this also, but I have a medication for sleep called Restoril (temazepam) but at the 30mg dosage it doesn't make me sleepy. So, I was so anxious yesterday that I took one to see if it would help w/ my anxiety since it is a benzo as well. I noticed that it helped with my pain! I tried it again today, I felt my pain level creeping up, so I took another capsule and within an hour or so, my pain decreased again. I know I can't take temazepam daily, so I wonder if something like it would help.

Valium (diazepam) is a longer acting benzodiazapine. I think several here have found decent pain management using a combination of opiates and diazepam.

But opiates and benzos can be deadly in combination by causing respiratory depression-make sure your doc knows that you're taking the temazepam and I would NOT take it on the same day you put on a fresh fent patch.

Docs typically start with the lower dose and move up until you find your pain maneageable.
    Don't make any changes to your dosages without getting your doc's approval first-he/she is trying to find the right dose and combination of drugs that will make your pain bearable without the risk of overdose.
    And closely read all the warnings for using a fent patch safely.