Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Central Pain Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by willvape View Post
    I have not tried different strains, the one I use is a cross between sativa and indica. It works for me so I haven't had to look or try other strains but if I could I would just to experiment. I live in bum f--k no were , no cell service 4 wheel drive only in the winter, so I'm not anywhere near a dispensory or suppliers to try something different but I'd sure like to try some other strains as long as I got my current meds for back-up.
    I've applied to the NM cannabis program, but like you I live in the middle of nowhere. I think growing my own will be the way to go. Ordered some seeds (sativa indica cross), but there are hundreds of strains to choose from. The state is supposed to tell me where the nearest dispensary is, but I think it's going to be 70 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by willvape View Post
    I have not tried different strains, the one I use is a cross between sativa and indica. It works for me so I haven't had to look or try other strains but if I could I would just to experiment. I live in bum f--k no were , no cell service 4 wheel drive only in the winter, so I'm not anywhere near a dispensory or suppliers to try something different but I'd sure like to try some other strains as long as I got my current meds for back-up.
    How do you use the cannabis? Tincture, food, vaporizer? I'm looking at a few vaporizers on eBay, from what I've read they make the product last a lot longer. But that's yet another $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    I've applied to the NM cannabis program, but like you I live in the middle of nowhere. I think growing my own will be the way to go. Ordered some seeds (sativa indica cross), but there are hundreds of strains to choose from. The state is supposed to tell me where the nearest dispensary is, but I think it's going to be 70 miles away.
    I used to grow it all the time when I wasn't supposed to and since my accident and in a wheelchair I can legally grow but I can't physically do the work , but if I could I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile View Post
    How do you use the cannabis? Tincture, food, vaporizer? I'm looking at a few vaporizers on eBay, from what I've read they make the product last a lot longer. But that's yet another $100.
    Hi , I use a portable vaporizer (ariser solo) it is great, I never combust weed ,only vape it. ebay has this one for around $140. I'm getting ready to buy a water bubbler to use with my vape ( called vaporbonging) . You read right about the amount of product you use, I would say about half. This vape of mine has paid for itself many times over and I plan on buying another one for back-up, I'd be lost without this thing.

I also plan on making tinctures and edibles, when I vape and most people do is save their herb they vaped ( called ABV already been vaped) and use it in edibles and tinctures.

Lots of vid's on youtube and info at FC vaporizer forum. I would highly recommend vaporizers for recreational and medical users. Good luck

I have used methadone, fentanyl, and morphine er. The fentanyl worked best but costs too much. When the donut hole problem goes away I may go back to it again. Did not like fentanyl suckers, I used 100mcg transdermal patch. Methadone can cause problems with the heart's rhythm and cause something sort of similar to SIDS. Many pain docs in the midwest are trying to get away from it.
    1 Corinthians 13:13

Quote Originally Posted by keiten06 View Post
    I have used methadone, fentanyl, and morphine er. The fentanyl worked best but costs too much. When the donut hole problem goes away I may go back to it again. Did not like fentanyl suckers, I used 100mcg transdermal patch. Methadone can cause problems with the heart's rhythm and cause something sort of similar to SIDS. Many pain docs in the midwest are trying to get away from it.
    I tried 75mcg Fentanyl patch and left it for about 24 hours and noticed no relief and no other effects. Was this enough time for it to do anything? If 75 didn't work, is it possible 100 would?

My new PM doc will not prescribe Methadone; says it's a horrible drug.

I also can't use marijuana anymore because I have to submit to drug testing on each visit :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Geoman View Post
    Crabbyshark, no I don't use any blood thinners. I had DVT's in rehab and required wolfram, but not since. Why do you ask this?

Clayton
    There's evidence that blood thinners inhibit RhoA. It'd be interesting to see if low dose aspirin and lithium worked better for your pain than lithium alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    I tried 75mcg Fentanyl patch and left it for about 24 hours and noticed no relief and no other effects. Was this enough time for it to do anything? If 75 didn't work, is it possible 100 would?

My new PM doc will not prescribe Methadone; says it's a horrible drug.

I also can't use marijuana anymore because I have to submit to drug testing on each visit :-(
    You are not giving any of these drugs time to get in your system and work.

I think you are looking for instant relief and whether you agree or not, you are never going to find instant relief.

It sometimes takes many months to find what works for you. With all your recent threads about different medications, I don't think you will ever find anything that works if you don't try it for longer than 24 hours.

Like we have all told you, what works for someone else may not work for you. Are you doing any other therapy besides medicine with pain management?

When you remove a Fentanyl patch like that, you risk having an overdose. It is stated plainly on the package that comes with it. Some doctors or even most doctors would be hesitant to prescribe the more powerful drugs because there are some you just can't stop taking like you did the Fentanyl. I can see why your doctor does not want to try Methadone given this kind of behavior.

There is more to pain management than finding a doctor who will just prescribe what you want him to prescribe. Some here have had good results with Methadone but not everyone. That is why you have to try different ones to see what works best for you. It will only make it manageable not take the pain completely away. I don't think you are actually hearing that part. Nothing will take it away completely.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 04-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    You are not giving any of these drugs time to get in your system and work.

I think you are looking for instant relief and whether you agree or not, you are never going to find instant relief.

It sometimes takes many months to find what works for you. With all your recent threads about different medications, I don't think you will ever find anything that works if you don't try it for longer than 24 hours.

Like we have all told you, what works for someone else may not work for you. Are you doing any other therapy besides medicine with pain management?

When you remove a Fentanyl patch like that, you risk having an overdose. It is stated plainly on the package that comes with it. Some doctors or even most doctors would be hesitant to prescribe the more powerful drugs because there are some you just can't stop taking like you did the Fentanyl. I can see why your doctor does not want to try Methadone given this kind of behavior.

There is more to pain management than finding a doctor who will just prescribe what you want him to prescribe. Some here have had good results with Methadone but not everyone. That is why you have to try different ones to see what works best for you. It will only make it manageable not take the pain completely away. I don't think you are actually hearing that part. Nothing will take it away completely.
    I guess my posts don't indicate that I've taken the meds for a period of time. The Fent patch is really the only one I didn't try for long, because it was given to me in the hospital.

Topamax and Trileptal are really the only ones that weren't taken for 2+ months, but they were taken for about a month before the previous PM doctor switched me off of them because he said I would've found *some* relief by then.

As much as I would love instant relief, I know that it's not feasible and I'm not looking for that. Sorry if my posts seem to indicate that.

I'm not sure why you're lashing out about the Fentanyl patch. Removing the patch was not my idea. I was in the hospital and the pain services doctor did this. This was at Emory.

I don't want to find a doctor that will prescribe what I want him to prescribe. I don't know what he should prescribe. I just read about various medications and sometimes I do ask about them just for my knowledge but never ask to prescribe anything specific.

I understand nothing will take it away completely but so far I haven't even found anything to lower the pain even just a little bit. My pain makes me unable to function at times, this is why I post a lot and seem desperate...Because I am.

Since you are apparently tired of seeing my posts, I will stop posting about pain and medication all together. I'll reserve these posts for somewhere else or in person with the doctor and/or psychologist.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jbridges9 View Post
    I guess my posts don't indicate that I've taken the meds for a period of time. The Fent patch is really the only one I didn't try for long, because it was given to me in the hospital.

Topamax and Trileptal are really the only ones that weren't taken for 2+ months, but they were taken for about a month before the previous PM doctor switched me off of them because he said I would've found *some* relief by then.

As much as I would love instant relief, I know that it's not feasible and I'm not looking for that. Sorry if my posts seem to indicate that.

I'm not sure why you're lashing out about the Fentanyl patch. Removing the patch was not my idea. I was in the hospital and the pain services doctor did this. This was at Emory.

I don't want to find a doctor that will prescribe what I want him to prescribe. I don't know what he should prescribe. I just read about various medications and sometimes I do ask about them just for my knowledge but never ask to prescribe anything specific.

I understand nothing will take it away completely but so far I haven't even found anything to lower the pain even just a little bit. My pain makes me unable to function at times, this is why I post a lot and seem desperate...Because I am.

Since you are apparently tired of seeing my posts, I will stop posting about pain and medication all together. I'll reserve these posts for somewhere else or in person with the doctor and/or psychologist.

Thank you.
    Oh NO NO NO and I didn't mean for my post to sound like you took it.

I wasn't meaning to sound as if I was lashing out.

Holy cow...I want you to find relief and I have been where you are. I will probably be there again. I nor anyone else is tired of your posts.

I am surprised that they took the Fent patch off so soon.

You are only one year into this injury and your drug list is long. I was only saying that maybe you are not giving the medicine time. I know you didn't like Shepherd Center and I know that their pain management is very hesitant to give narcotics. I had injections there in 2006 and 2007 and he told me quite frank that he did not prescribe narcotics unless it was warranted.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Honestly I know desperation too and I wish there was an easy fix.

So you are seeing someone at Emory. I thought you were still looking for a doctor? I am sorry. I really didn't mean for my post to sound as bad as it obviously does. I got no relief from Topamax either and I took if for a year or a little more. I have tried all the other ones too but my doctors always made me give them a couple of weeks to a month before I dismissed them as not working.

I really didn't get control of my pain until I learned the CBT and how to relax myself. It works for some and it doesn't for others.

They also need to run the tests and make sure you are absorbing the medications that you are taking and not seeing any relief. You may just have a medication tolerance too or whatever it is called. My doctor just did blood tests on me to see how much I was actually absorbing.

I don't know what the answer is for you but I hope you find relief.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 04-18-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown