Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PARALYSIS CURED WITH NO SURGERY

Originally posted by Leo:

IMHO, This is exciting news and I'm waiting for our CC member Sue P, to post, she's got good sources and it's in her back yard. I don't know if this doctor would have used CURE in headline, but as said in the past it sure will sell papers, don't be quick to judge either way. DA's prediction?
    Umm, hmmm Actually I found Dr Anders many years ago on the web and called to ask about what she did and how soon and all that stuff we all want to know. A few years and one law later the Maryland SCI Research Board started funding her work on human olfactory ensheathing cells in acute rats. She has had her work on OE cells published in the Journal of Neuroscience. Much of her earlier work on SCI can be found in the Journal Glia. BTW, her application was reviewed and scored by an outside peer reviewer along with the 2 other projects we funded the first two years.

Due to the nature of her work, its funding and my current position as chair of the board here I'd prefer asking Dr Anders if she would like to answer a few of your questions. I would hate to recuse myself from voting for any grant submitted and reviewed through our board's voting process.

Having said that, Wise and other researchers might want to look at the more recent findings by some very dedicated scientists that realize that many (including some of themselves at times) may consider this research to be on the fringes. Is her laser work and that of Kimberly Byrnes and the rest of the team valid? I'd say definitely yes based on everything I have read. I would also agree with Leo that she would probably not choose the word cure for the headline. Speaking with her I tend to hear the word "repair" a lot. She obviously also may have problems with what she can say openly depending on whatever her agreement with the San Diego firm entails. I have not heard of any clinical trial in humans yet. I can say that her lab is able to handle chronic animal studies because the military does have active duty veterinarians and from what I understand several are assigned to the neuroscience department on an ongoing basis. I can just imagine what they are thinking when they are up at 3am to squeeze rat bladders.

I think it is terrific that she is funded by DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency). I was just down at the Physical Medicine and Rehabilation clinic at Walter Reed this past week. I had heard about and seen some of the results on a very long CSPAN interview of the homemade bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan on our troops. I was still absoltuely shocked by the number of amputtees, several multiple, in that clinic and in the adjoining physical therapy area. I said something to my doc about the well spent money on the newer prostheses that are controlled in part by nerve impulses. He said these were just a start and that DARPA was going back to the drawing board with the idea of growing the actual limbs back just like certain amphibians can. From what he said it would be like a flipper slowly developing out of the elbow and then a hand and fingers developing. This would not be a thing you can grow in a petri dish and just sew on..

Just guessing here but with the Defense Veterans Head Injury Program also a funder that there is some work going on somewhere in the area of strokes right now. Preclinical level I mean.

As for what is going on in France and also elsewhere in the US there is always cause to wonder at results claimed. The links that several of you supplied also lead you to the relevant journals published for the new field of laser research, surgery and therapy.

Oh, for the budding scientist in you or your family please note that one of the ways I reached her website originally was through a Yahoo search on different takes of "new Maryland biotechnology", "cell based research in Maryland", (because over 300,000 Marylanders work for Uncle Sam) "federally funded health research in Maryland" and something like "scholarships in microbiology" AND Maryland. Dr Anders had a high school student interning at the time from our district along with a large contigent of undergrads, grad students, post docs, etc. For the serious student looking to be able to actually be allowed to pick up forceps, scapels and do whatever all those dyes do we see in slides; I can only say this has got to look great on a college application. Then again if your second choice was electrical engineer this might be a great place to spend afternoons as a high school junior to find out sooner rather than later.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Light Therapy

Hi everyone,
    I've got to tell you of Dan's recent experience with laser light
    therapy.....
    His friend turned us on to the Chiropractor that he works for that does
    this therapy. He uses a unit called erchonia. Website is
    www.erchonia.com.
    This chiropractor has seen pain levels decrease, and other advantages
    of use of this therapy. There is documentation that this light therapy
    reduces scar tissue as well.....His Chiro. is not making any promises or claims, which I appreciate, but he is happy at the results already. We thought initially, even if our only result is less pain, it would be a success!
    What happened to Dan. First visit, TMJ symptoms were reduced. Pain
    level was reduced. After his visit, we took a 3 hour ride in his van,
    where normally he would be "ripe" with pain, needing medication. NADA!!!!!
    Just so happened that days after his first visit we saw Max's post about light
    therapy, then we went for regular check up at his physiatrist and told him.
    He said he had just been to a seminar about this therapy.
    I'm very excited!
    Cathy J

Originally posted by Cathy J:

Hi everyone,
    There is documentation that this light therapy
    reduces scar tissue as well.....His Chiro. is not making any promises or claims,
    I didn't notice any documentation on glial scarring Cathy. There are different kinds of lasers and reading through this site I think the scars reduced are by the lasers used in cosmetic procedures and are skin level type scars.

I'm glad to hear Dan had less pain afterwards. But as with any new procedure or device on the market read everything you can and ask all the questions up front. I mean there are both hot and cold lasers and I sure don't want the hot one that zaps hair being used on my corneas.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Hi Sue,
    Thank you for clarifying my statement, because I certainly did not want to imply that spinal cord scarring could be reduced. It is "topical" scar reduction. This is "cold" light, so does not burn.
    What I find interesting is this chiro said the same thing the article said, that cells communicate with light.
    Oh, I've also been told that Lance Armstrong uses light therapy for endurance. This unit, (Erchonia) actually.
    Of course I'll keep posting any results, positive or negative.
    Cathy

Oh great,
    I can finally get my
    vericose veins done.

J.

Sue,
    Do you know of Dr. Kenneth Bartels?
    He is a Colonel. Was a commander for the vet units during the inaugaration.

He does his civilian work out of Oklahoma State.
    He has worked many years now on developing laser..YagHo for use in animals and eventually humans.

Even when doing laser work on suspected diseased spinal discs in dogs...well he doesn't work with them during times of flare-up or herniations. Might want to find out why.

His group and his off campus clinic has done alot of work with lazers and the spinal cord
    area. Dogs and horses.

He is still deployed but his staff is very willing to answer any questions.

"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk foreward." FDR

Guess we will just have to wait and see what Steve Richardson does. Hope this one works out.

Sue, thanks for emphasizing that all types of laser/light therapy are not the same. I'd hate for folks to start running to their nearest laser therapy clinic expecting a cure. Some claims are legitimate, some aren't. Even Albert Bohbot noted that the type of laser and frequency of light he uses is different from what Dr. Anders used.

[This message was edited by seneca on 05-22-05 at 08:38 AM.]

wow.Now lets see how real it really is!

Originally posted by Lindox:

Sue,
    Do you know of Dr. Kenneth Bartels?
    He is a Colonel. Was a commander for the vet units during the inaugaration.

He does his civilian work out of Oklahoma State.
    He has worked many years now on developing laser..YagHo for use in animals and eventually humans.

Even when doing laser work on suspected diseased spinal discs in dogs...well he doesn't work with them during times of flare-up or herniations. Might want to find out why.

His group and his off campus clinic has done alot of work with lazers and the spinal cord
    area. Dogs and horses.

He is still deployed but his staff is very willing to answer any questions.
    I'll have to pull out my magic book of numbers. Thanks Lindox. I can probably imagine why they wait til the flare up is over. In humans when they use the heated wire coil for disc shrinkage they always wait until the worst is over and the herniation is stabilized.

It's amazing how open the military is with somethings and how incredibly tight lipped they are on others.