Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Post the actual weight of your chair

Post the actual weight of your chair

I had the opportunity to weigh my chair a few days ago so I could satisfy my own curiosity of my chair's weight. I know almost all chair makers post frame and chair weights, but we all know what they publish and what's reality are often two different things. Therefore I thought it would be nice if people could post the model of their chairs along with actual weight. Not what the chair weighs in the brochure but what it actually weighs. So please post the following:

-Chair make and model
    -General seating size plus cushion type
    -Type of wheels and size

I will start with mine:

TiLite TR3
    15" seating w/ ROHO cushion
    24" Spinergy LX w/ Surge LT handrims
    24lbs complete chair - 12lbs frame only w/o cushion - 4.5lbs per wheel

Last edited by ozziegn; 03-20-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Arrow

i would love to weigh the chair, but probably need to wait until the next visit to the vet who have a good scale! stay tuned...
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Tilite TR3
    17" seating w/ Ulti-Mate Cushion
    24" Spinergy LX w/ Out-front LT handrims
    Tilite Slipstream single-sided fork w/ 4"x.75" Performance Billet Alum. hub & poly tire
    Backpack full of stuff
    Total weight: 28 Lbs
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

Marvel
    15 x 15
    Carbon fiber seat pan
    carbon fiber side guards
    15 x 10
    Adi carbon fiber back
    D's locks
    Spinergy spox
    Schawlbe speed run tires
    Surge hand rims and thumb rings
    Frog leg aluminum soft roll casters
    Stimulite classic xs cushion
    Shock
    Total weight 26 lbs

I posted what I have on my chair

Here's my breakdown, with photo documentation

From my 'Christmas came in July' thread back in '08.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    First question I had after rolling in it for about 10 seconds was “how much does this thing REALLY weigh?”.

Well…here’s the breakdown:

I can’t hold the entire thing up with one hand and steady the camera with the other. I need some of what fuente’s got going on.

I can, however, hold up the constituent parts:

Cushion: 3lbs, Roho High Profile, 4 Chamber, w/valve

Tires: 3.5lbs each, Spinergy LX, 559mm, Schwable Marathon Plus Evo tires, titanium axle, alum 6-tab handrims

Chair: 10.75lbs, Lasher Sport BT-MG, 14.75Wx16.5D, 16RSTFx19FSTF, ~83degree frame angle, 2 degree camber, 9.5W footrest, 12”H backrest, ~85degree backrest angle, large loop footrest, fixed carbon side guards, D’s locks w/custom piston and lever mounts w/anodized rings, 4x1.5 black alum Softroll casters, adjustable tension carbon laminate upholstery, anthracite powdercoat w/black anodized accessories

It’s too heavy for me to hold to get perfectly clear but the weight is steady state 10.5 – 10.75. I can’t call it 11 but it’s definitely not 10, either. You can’t really see the #’s but from the previous pics you know the dark fuzzy #’s are the 5 and 10 pounds marks, respectively, so it’s easy to read given that info.

Total package as rolling: 20.75lbs

Not bad for a chair with side guards, great brakes, and thick tires on both ends.

I wonder how light it could go? Definitely the casters and tires get switched.

What is the lightest tire available? Primo Silver Bullet? Then roller blade wheels, of course. Perhaps 2 lbs savings on tires?

The side guards have machined alum grommets between them and the frame that might save some + the panels themselves. Another 1.5lbs? (just a guess).

Down to 17lbs or so, legit. Seems do-able. Not my priority, at this point tho. It’s fine right where it is, setup for me.

The fit is perfect.

There were some mistakes on the design execution, though. The theme was “Stealth Lasher”. The hand rims and foot rest came back polished, shoulda been black. Bill called me at once to apologize. He offered to have the footrest recoated at his expense, of course. I could have waited but I already had an idea of coating the footrest with Rhino, or something like that, and I had since also ordered a set of PushBlack handrims (short tabs are getting too slippery in my old age). No biggie. Problem soon to be solved, regardless.

Here are some random wheelcahir pR0n pics.

The ride is very stiff but smooth. Frame soaks up incidental road vibes well. Back rest, after removing one spacer from each side, has become very very comfortable. It is quite stiff, given the material has basically no stretch to it, but it does have a GREAT cushion…it has a tempur kind of closed cell feel to it. (I haven’t opened it up to see exactly what it is).

I like the upholstery. The seat pan is hard as a rock! Here’s a shot of the lacing and the material:

Same lacing up the back:

All in all it rolls quite well. A discernable difference from the XTR and the GT, to be sure. Amazed at how light it transports - one arm lifts into car aren't a even a strain. WOW. Pushing up ramps was first real indication of how much better my rolling and pushing was going to be, and so far has proven to be the case.

-Dale

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

TiLite ZR2 15" x 17"
    ADI carbon fiber back, low profile, fixed elite hardware
    Frog Legs Unitine forks, 4" soft rolls
    custom carbon fiber side guards, seat pan
    Round Betty Dino 25" wheels, Schwalbe RightRuns, Surelock locking hubs
    Stimulite Sport cushion
    22.6 lbs as shown.

Have you rolled that puppy onto a scale? Mine is heavier by almost 5lbs. Heavier tires and casters, 5" FL and Marathons, but lighter wheels (Rogue Tsunami Ti hub) and shock (upgraded to DT Swiss XM180 with CF shell). Also, Xfr handles and OEM scissor brakes are included in my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by randomryan007 View Post
    Marvel
    15 x 15
    Carbon fiber seat pan
    carbon fiber side guards
    15 x 10
    Adi carbon fiber back
    D's locks
    Spinergy spox
    Schawlbe speed run tires
    Surge hand rims and thumb rings
    Frog leg aluminum soft roll casters
    Stimulite classic xs cushion
    Shock
    Total weight 26 lbs

I posted what I have on my chair

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

A post I created in 2009 of my old TR. I have not weighed my TR3, but expect similar results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I went to a local bike shop today to have my projection hand rims swapped out for my Push Blacks Twisted* hand rims and I noticed they had a digital scale that they used to weight bikes, it had a hook they hung the bikes from.

After they finished my rims I asked if they'd weigh my chair, which we did. 27.3 lbs (As seen in this picture) I also wish I would have weighed it without the rims.

The projection hand rims I took off are lighter than these new push blacks, but I really don't know how much weight we are talking.

*For those curious of my thoughts on the Push Blacks vs. the projections, I will start a new thread, I haven't gotten into my TR yet since the swap.

C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

ZRAII
    25" Spinergy
    Jay2 20% Overfill
    Side Guards
    Swing Away Arm Rests
    Bag of odds n ends.

37.2 LBS

Smile

ti lite from 2001

jay cushsion

its 36 lbs