Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to apply for disability

It took me almost three years to be approved, and I had waited almost two years after working before I applied because I had no medical history. I had the original diagnosis for messed up lower back and that was it. LOL None of us knew I had fractured my neck at some time in my life and that was the culprit! With no health insurance, it was'nt until 2006 I was diagnosed with this and I applied in 2005 for ssdi. I was'nt approved until 2008 for ssdi. Someone had forgotten to send my surgery records to the ssdi people....so I was there for the court hearing before it was approved. The judge approved it the day we were in court. Normally you have to wait for the decision to come in the mail. But, I guess someone foobarred on my stuff.....go figure. I had a lawyer. Got him after I was denied the first time. All he was good for was to gather medical records and I still had to fill out my own forms for ssdi. He evidently was'nt much good at getting the medical records to them either! But, he sure got the max allowed for payment! But, you sign that option away when you hire them. His money came straight from the ss office.....and I got the rest. I think they have you over a rock and a hard place when it comes to getting a lawyer. He did go to court with me, and I had to say very little. I don't know why I was even so worried about it! Now, I wonder what would have happened if I had gathered my own medical records and gone without him! I suppose it's better with a lawyer, and I'm sure many are'nt as lazy as mine was.

They are right, she should'nt be working. I would check with a lawyer to see what they say about it. I'm sure you could see one for advice at no charge. They could tell you what to gather and keep in a file. I made a copy of everything I sent them. You'll want to be consistent in filling out the forms. And you will get a repeat of them on a few occasions. I think I filled them out at least three times.....maybe four....it's hard to remember now. But it is wise to keep the file of all that is going on.

I was sent to a ssdi doctor that found problems, but not enough to receive ssdi. That did'nt surprise me, even though the first time I saw a doctor on my own for the problem, he knew it was my neck before the exam. I thought he was crazy.....I knew my problems and pain were in my lower back. But hidden in my neck was a crushed spinal cord making me lose my ability to balance and walk. I was just beginning to have neuropathy in my feet, and after the neck surgery that went full blown 24/7. Not much fun. By the time I went for the court hearing, the pain bothered me more than the paralysis. I don't envy anyone that has to apply for ssdi.

Again I stated I think XZX $$
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Liz321 - How old is your friend? If she is under 50, I agree with HLH and KLD that the bar is set very high for MS and that with RRMS it is not a given to get SSDI. You need documentation that on account of her disease, she is unable to sustain 2 hours of walk and stand/day in the context of a 40 hr work week on a regular and continuing basis. Often individuals with RRMS get denied initially and a reconsideration levels. Is she using a walker? Is there objective evidence that she has motor weakness and spasticity? Has the doctor determined her gait is very antalgic (abnormal) and she could not stand cumulatively for two hours a day? What was her past work? If it was a desk job, it is even harder to get on disability no matter how old you are. Encourage her to see her Neurologist as frequent as possible to get a longitudinal medical record that outlines her functional limitations.
    Legal assistance is the way to go... sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Liz321 - How old is your friend? If she is under 50, I agree with HLH and KLD that the bar is set very high for MS and that with RRMS it is not a given to get SSDI. You need documentation that on account of her disease, she is unable to sustain 2 hours of walk and stand/day in the context of a 40 hr work week on a regular and continuing basis. Often individuals with RRMS get denied initially and a reconsideration levels. Is she using a walker? Is there objective evidence that she has motor weakness and spasticity? Has the doctor determined her gait is very antalgic (abnormal) and she could not stand cumulatively for two hours a day? What was her past work? If it was a desk job, it is even harder to get on disability no matter how old you are. Encourage her to see her Neurologist as frequent as possible to get a longitudinal medical record that outlines her functional limitations.
    Legal assistance is the way to go... sorry to hear about the diagnosis.
    This seems very sage advice. In addition I would not be working at all at the time of application.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    This seems very sage advice. In addition I would not be working at all at the time of application.
    Agree. Thanks, all.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I can only add to the great information and advise above that your friend be very proactive in her case. Review everything for accuracy in her medical records and SSA file. I would also recommend a law firm that has paralegals and offer advocates to speak for you should it go to hearing.

I had the flood or my husband's cancer on my mind and did not pay attention in my case. I'm cleaning up the mess now.
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson