Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quality of fasteners

On the other side of the coin I've been in my Zra for 11 years and other then some issues with the first set of clothing guards I haven't had a single issue with fasteners. Chair is in and out of the car every day, granted at my heaviest I've only been 170 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    . . . I know it has been a while since this thread was addressed but have sent an email to TiLite for an update. If there has been one I haven't found it yet. . .
    To my knowledge, TiLite has never responded. Thanks for following up.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    My sole purpose for changing fasteners was to reduce corrosion caused by weather so adjustments would continue to be easy; it has worked well. Now that my adjustable is chair dialed in, I hope my second chair will have many fewer fasteners and many more welds.
    My TR3 is in production! It's measurements are taken directly from my dialed-in AeroZ. I'm really looking forward to using a nearly fully welded chair.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 07-01-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    On the other side of the coin I've been in my Zra for 11 years and other then some issues with the first set of clothing guards I haven't had a single issue with fasteners. Chair is in and out of the car every day, granted at my heaviest I've only been 170 pounds.

This chair is a good two inches too small for me but, in the short term, will enable access into the bathroom and toilet. Using a frame is not getting any easier, especially when reversing into the toilet .
    The chair has seen a good many years sitting neglected in a backyard shed
    The fastenings on this old unit seem robust enough, without any evidence of breakage or fatigue.
    If I am to replace any that I find to be too far gone then the grade of fastening would be helpful.
    Someone mentioned aviation grade fasteners and that would definitely be more than adequate, although cost could be a larger factor.
    Wire buffing and or a dilute phosphoric acid wash then treating with Linseed oil will do for the most part.
    Bearings, did I mention most all of the bearings are shot?
    I like a project....

Smile Update. A reply from Tilite

This is my message to TiLite.
    Hello. I have recently bought a used TiLite TRA chair. The fasteners are all suffering degrees of corrosion. With that in mind a came upon this thread on CareCure http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...Lite+fasteners The last entry makes mention of
    Thank you everyone for bringing this to the attention of TiLite. TiLite takes consumer comments and concerns very seriously. TiLite will be looking into this matter. Thank you for all of your feedback it is greatly appreciated.
    Has there been a resolution to this situation?
    I am not a fan of stainless fasteners in high stress situations and the quality of generic fasteners available from engineering outlets is questionable (cheap Asian?).
    What quality rating are the original fasteners and/or what do TiLite recommend as replacements? My chair is circa early to mid 2000. Regards. James
    I have received a reply from TiLite to my enquiry that states the obvious; sensible maintenance requirements.
    However it does not address, nor give any indication of the grade of fasteners required.
    The good fortune to have a local Tilite dealer is an ideal situation but I imagine not the reality for most (?).
    I can also appreciate the business angle of wanting all components to be sourced from the manufacturer and agents but that does not always best serve the customer base.

However, if breakages do occur, then the need to replace and remedy is often an immediate one. Manufactured items are one thing but fastenings?? Quality fastenings are available from a number of sources but for safety the correct grade needs to be sourced.
    Should we be required to sit on our arses or lay in the sack any longer than is absolutely required until repairs are made??
    A list of fasteners and the recommended grades would be a wise move for the company and a boon for those who choose to have some autonomy in maintaining their machinery.
    Perhaps the lists could be included in the parts PDF's?

Otherwise poor selection of replacement fasteners will continue to happen.

It sounds like your used chair may have not been maintained as well as it could have been. The onus is upon the user to keep their chairs clean and maintained which includes periodic oiling and tightening of fasteners to prevent corrosion and ensure the integrity of the chairs components! This is especially important depending upon the chairs use (outside getting wet) or where they live (near water, the ocean). If the end user did not maintain the chair you can purchase replacement parts from a dealer near you or use an on-line distributor like Bike-On.com, Sportaid.com, SpinLife.com
    As for our fastener materials, we try to stay away from stainless steel and use a stronger steel alloy that is tempered to a specific hardness depending on the intended application and we use a zinc plating. Our hardware is sourced from all over, much of it from the US actually.
    Hope this helps and hope you have a nice Fourth of July holiday.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 07-03-2015 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    A list of fasteners and the recommended grades would be a wise move for the company and a boon for those who choose to have some autonomy in maintaining their machinery.
    Perhaps the lists could be included in the parts PDF's?
    I've forwarded your comments on to our Marketing Team. We appreciate the feedback. No promises that it will be done, as we have many projects on our plate, but it is always good to get the feedback and it can be put on "The List" for future consideration. Thanks again.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.