Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality of fasteners

Regular maintenance checks should be part of everyone's routine. Going over your chair carefully, looking at everything, checking for tightness, tension, and spotting corrosion early can save you a lot of problems in the long run.

Most chairs come with a manual that lists in detail what you need to check.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by GinoL View Post
    . . . I would be concerned upgrading these fasteners on your own would void the factory warranty. Has anyone checked into this?
    Good point! Word to the wise . . .

Attachment 49048

I looked back through my old emails. I did ask about stainless steel, then chose to use Grade 8 Chromed at stress points without approval. So far so good. (BTW, I don't jump curbs.)

Attachment 49050
    Attachment 49051
    Last edited by chasmengr; 03-20-2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Interesting how they say the bolts are tested and proven. After snapping a couple on my TR after a couple months of use, I replaced them all with grade 8 Ti Nitride coated ones, resulting in no breakage or rust problems for some 8 years on this chair

Everyone, each of these items has a "life span" No different than pieces of things like engine in a car. Because of this, the pieces "wear." Person A and Person B can be sitting on exactly same designed chair but still wear differently just based on how they use the chair. Over time, the nut may not loosen or fall off, but whatever the bolt is attached to, the bolt may/probably wear that. Loctite works great, but death to get of. Try thread tape on a bolt. You can loosen, re-apply as many times as you want without the difficultyof Loctite. s for ANYTHING coming loose, you BETTER have routine maintenance perfomed on the chair if you want it to operate like the day you got it.

My sole purpose for changing fasteners was to reduce corrosion caused by weather so adjustments would continue to be easy; it has worked well. Now that my adjustable is chair dialed in, I hope my second chair will have many fewer fasteners and many more welds.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

The black anodized bolts holding my axle plate on my TiLite TX folder have all sheared leaving the threaded end inside the tube where It can't be easily removed. This also happened to one of the bolts holding my side guards on. This happened within the first year that I had the chair. I live in Colorado where corrosion is usually not a problem. So I think it's a good idea to replace the sub-standard hardware used by TiLite before it becomes a problem to remove them.

That's exactly what I am thinking, and why I wish I could have just ordered the chair with it and had it funded. Not looking forward to that task.....

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    ...So I think it's a good idea to replace the sub-standard hardware used by TiLite before it becomes a problem to remove them.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Suggest you use aircraft grade bolts with stiff nuts. Typically available from aircraft spruce and speciality in case, small orders OK, you can buy an assortment. watch out that hole tolerance matches the bolt. I guess the frame is rough drilled and bolts will be a slopy fit which results in poor fastener performance. You could get a set of hand reamers and clean out the holes to the next size up which could help and is not involved if you are mechanically minded.

Thank you everyone for bringing this to the attention of TiLite. TiLite takes consumer comments and concerns very seriously. TiLite will be looking into this matter. Thank you for all of your feedback it is greatly appreciated.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

I have recently bought a used TiLite TRA chair.
    It is an older mid 2000 model that has had some neglect. It will clean up well but my immediate concern is that the fasteners are all suffering degrees of corrosion.
    With that in mind a came upon this thread.
    I know it has been a while since this thread was addressed but have sent an email to TiLite for an update. If there has been one I haven't found it yet.
    Meanwhile, it occurs to me that if the corrosion is the problem, but the fasteners are of sufficient grade, then a cheap remedy would be to use the age old rust preventer of boiled linseed oil/mineral turps mix.
    It dries hard and sticks like the proverbial.
    I use it on my metal pieces that need protection out in the shed.
    Once it dries, there is no risk of marking clothing etc. It can be difficult to remove but I see that as a plus. if it is chipped or abraded, then a quick touch up is an easy chore.
    The bonus is it is a cheap and effective method and that has got to be a good thing; I can spend my hard earned elsewhere