Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much does physical therapy cost out of pocket?

How much does physical therapy cost out of pocket?

How much does outpatient physical therapy cost for you guys?

My mom is almost 4 yr post, incomplete L1. She lives abroad most of the time and comes to the States to visit for several weeks a year. She usually exercise on her own during her visit, but it'd be nice to have her try the rehab at the medical center here. Maybe they have more advanced equipments and other cool stuff here.

I know each rehab center is different, but i just want to get a sense of the price range for people without insurance, because if it's too expensive, she probably won't go.

so how does the process work? just call the hospital -> get an appointment -> get evaluated -> start physical therapy session?
    Do you have to go to a pcp first and get a referral? and i'm assuming they will evaluate you first before you start the therapy. how much does an evaluation cost usually?

Thanks a lot!

Pretty sure you need doctor and/or therapist evaluation to get proceas started. I would be amazed if it is a quick process. It may go quicker if you are paying entire bill.

http://www.projectwalk.org/

If she can afford it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Even in the middle of Nowhere Iowa (a small town I used to live in) there was a place called "Total ReHab" that was run by a private company. The owner is a PhD in Physical Therapy. They accept walk ins. Their prices are on the order of $60-80 per hour.

I would bet there is something similar near you. Google it.

A friend of mine who is a Pt mentioned a while back that it was 75.00 for 15 minutes or 300 an hour at the rehab she worked at..

I think the price varies depending on whether they're billing an insurance company or an individual.

What city are you in?

Patrick's experience is similar to rates quoted to us. Very very expensive "list price" for PT. $250-300 per hour was typical. Of course, no insurance company pays that if you have insurance.... Most PT sessions in our area are 45 minutes.

A major rehab center in our city would only give a 15% discount if you paid out of pocket. Insurance companies got much greater discounts.

She would need a licensed doctor to write a script for PT.

But there are other options. I agree that ProjectWalk and similar programs are much less expensive and they specialize in SCI. Does she walk? If so, do a search online in your city for a gym or Therapy location that has an AlterG bodyweight assisted treadmill device. Some facilities will allow you to pay out of pocket to use the machine at a much lower rate then PT would cost. Sometimes even a good trainer working at a local gym or even your house can be great.

It might also be reasonable to pay for just a few sessions of PT with an expert to get advice on her current home exercise program, and maybe even get a referral to an appropriate trainer/gym/program for less expensive work-outs during her stay.
    Last edited by hlh; 04-05-2013 at 09:25 PM.

In Reno, you can see a knowledgeable manual therapist (PT) for 100 bucks per session - maybe 45 minutes.

The place I did my outpatient rehab had a community program. $5 / visit and you could use the pool & gym. You were on your own...no PT working with you...but could use all the adaptive equipment, including the OT stuff. I've used the standing frame, mat tables, accessible weight machines and more. You might want to see if any rehab places near you offer something similar.

They typically provide a discount for out of pocket. I was paying my own way for a while last year and depending what we did I usually paid $100-110 for 45 minutes.

Unless you want to do something specific like ride an FES bike or Lokomat or some other piece of equipment PT is a waste of money. Go to a local gym and get a trainer to help you for 25 bucks and hour or so. They are more into their jobs and generally have a good sense of how to get in shape and build strength.

My PT's at out patient were quite uninspired. I had to do all their research and spent far more time working out on my own at home. I stopped going in July after Arndog (not my PT) convinced me to try forearm crutches after having never even met me. For some reason he could tell over the internet and from all the way in Reno that would be the best for me, but my PT whom I saw twice a week had no clue. Maybe if you have an SCI gym near you it would be worth it. Otherwise I would say save your money for a kick ass vacation. Or see if Arndog has any openings.