Thread: `White House Moves Disability Benefits to The Chopping Block

`White House Moves Disability Benefits to The Chopping Block

A day after the chief White House economist admitted that the Bush plan to privatize Social Security would include cuts to survivor benefits, the Bush administration also acknowledged that it would not protect disability benefits despite earlier assurances that these earned benefits would remain untouched. This is the latest trial balloon in the Bush administration's real plan to dismantle Social Security. The announcement may help explain why a new Harris poll found that only 36 percent of Americans think President Bush's "comments on saving and strengthening Social Security are his real motives for changing the program, while 49% believe his real agenda is to dismantle it." [Wall Street Journal, 5/13/05]

Here is what Bush said in Jan...

Bush: Disability Benefits Won't Be Cut. "[Bush] said he has no plans to cut benefits for the approximately 40 percent of Social Security recipients who collect monthly disability and survivor payments as he prepares his plan for partial privatization." [Washington Post, 1/16/05]

And now...

Bush Administration Won't Protect Disability Benefits. "Future Social Security retirement benefits for disabled workers is a matter for negotiations with Congress as it drafts solvency legislation, the Bush administration said Thursday, declining to say whether they should be raised, lowered or left unchanged. 'Any plan that maintains current disability benefits will need to address the transition to retirement, and those details will be worked out through the legislative process,' said White House spokesman Trent Duffy." [AP, 5/13/05]

When I first read this I was worried because I depend on my SS disability to make ends meet. But then I remember that the 100% full cure, guarantee written IN STONE would be here May 1st so there is no need for anyone to worry about losing their SS disability benefits because we won't need them anymore. My the way, does any one know where I can get my 100% full cure written in stone lotto ticket? (you gotta love that ol' texas 2 step.)

david.

[This message was edited by Jakstraw on 05-17-05 at 03:14 PM.]

Thank for the post Jakstraw. I'm not sure if politics is the best forum for this post but I have moved the thread there for discussion. The new thread can be found there.