Thread: Recurring osteomyelitis?

Recurring osteomyelitis?

I had a pressure sore about the size of a dime about 4 years ago (see picture below - on the outside of my foot on the 5th Metatarsal where it is connected to the Cuboid). It healed after 2 months and you can feel a knot where it was at. I've noticed that it opens up coincidentally at the onset of a UTI (no symptoms other than very smelly urine). As soon as I start on an antibiotic it closes right back up and the knot is a lot less pronounced.

Am I losing it or is there actually something to this coincidence? I asked my physiatrist about the knot 2.5 years ago and he said it was probably osteomyelitis but not to worry if it was closed up.

Any opinions?

Have you had a MRI of the foot? If you have an opening-reopening foot wound it is due to osteomyelitis or by pressure/trauma to the foot part(s) that are rubbing onto the shoe. You should get it checked out.

pbr

No, I haven't had an MRI done. I just notice it spiking through the skin when I seem to have UTIs.

I have the same exact thing.

A doctor (not of medicine) I once spoke to believed it was something either genetic or so microscoptic not to be seen yet .. Same issue, same spot, same knot.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I'm having same thing around the inside of the foot (inner Spenoid) although not correlated with a UTI as I have not had one of those in a long time. But, it tries to heal and then opens again and the skin is red around it. I've been thinking lately maybe it is Osteo too. Been going on about 9 months now.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I can see this happening. When I had my Osteo in the heel, my surgeon was adamant to get all the affected bone out so as not to compromise the muscle graft I was getting ready to have. They shaved the bone off until the osteo was no longer showing on the nuclear scan plus a few centimeters. I forget the exact names of the tests. The antibiotics had worked but my surgeon at the time told my parents if they didn't take the bone then it could and probably would reoccur. That has been 20 years ago.

So I have always questioned if just antibiotics truly cure osteo. The antibiotics made me want to die just themselves. They were so hard on the rest of the body.

The foot is such a delicate area.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Thank you for the replies. I felt for certain that it was just a coincidence until this last time. I mean it sealed up like I was an AB just after starting the antibiotic. That just doesn't happen with these things.

Another thing is the tendons of the foot ... no way to FES and you can stretch as much as you want ... but what does it really do?

I have no achilles tendon whatsoever (no definition of one anyway) and all those little segmental joints don't get proper use as we're not walking.

I think the feet should be studied much more as it's the #2 spot for wounds and sores, besides the coccyx area.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12