Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: His MOTHER?

Thank you, it is nice to feel appreciated.

I can still think. I can still write. I have a lot of difficulty speaking, seeing, and hearing. Damage to inner ear which also effects my balance so badly that I can't walk much, damage to the optic nerve, and some cognitive and memory problems. Severe stuttering and occasional total loss of ability to speak or see under stress. Fine motor impairment - thank you spell check, I have typos about every tenth word. And epilepsy on top of it all. Cognitive testing shows a post injury impairment of around 50 IQ points from the tests I had taken before (I was part of a study that tracked concussion damage to paratroopers. I was given an eight hour function test before my first jump and every year after that.)The intense concentration required to understand a normally paced level of information input is mentally exhausting. I can't watch TV, the sheer amount and pace of information presented is too much and overloads me. I can watch some videos if I can replay all the bits over and over until I get it. All side effects of being too near a massive explosion.

One of the reasons that I like it so much hear is that I can express myself to people who understand. Interacting over the net, I can take the time I need to make myself clear and understandable. That in itself has been a huge help in reducing my frustration. I need the - in gaming terms - turn based interaction instead of attempting to maintain a real time conversation.

I also have the empowering reward here of occasionally being able to help someone.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

IsMaisin ... I agree that you express yourself quite clear. I look forward to reading your position in threads.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Wow i missed reading this thread
    well here's the real picture
    i think even on her worst day AMI still can be very very attractive but there so much more than the physical. The feel i get reading your posts is that of a loving intelligent, caring and committed woman. In reality what we all dream about.

Hi IsMaisin,

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult go of it. We all appreciate your service to the country though. And by your posts, I can't tell you have any cognitive deficit. Try to take it easy on yourself. Stuttering can be very mentally and physically draining. It comes and goes with me too.

Love your dog.

Thanks,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    No, it was Rex. But yes, I've been reading wral about all of that stuff. Goodness!!
    Hi Ami,

I don't know what "Rex" is?? Or "wral"?

I just watched a TV commercial from a leading "chain-store" provider of Lasik surgery and they said "Starting from $299 per eye"! I think they use the latest equipment available but don't know for sure. To put it kindly, isn't that price very understated? A "come on" so to speak? I've been reading that it's really between $2000 - $3000 per eye.

I have Medicare only... so I'm not covered. Did Chad's insurance cover it? Or some or most of it?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did Chad's Lasik cost... per eye?

I also read that some places will do the surgery for free or for a very discounted price if one's a quadriplegic... because it's so difficult to use contacts or glasses? Did Chad qualify for a price adjustment? I'm a para so don't qualify for the discounts... I'm just wondering.

Thanks in advance for the information and I'm glad everything finally worked out to everyone's satisfaction.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

WRAL is our local news station, DD is local to me and we watch the same news. Rex is the name of the hospital he had his surgery at. And he had cataracts removed, not Lasix. Cataract surgery is paid for by Medicare, but Medicare (which Chad has) does not cover an "upgraded" lens, which we opted for, which was $2900 per eye, so we paid out of pocket for those (he had both eyes done). It gives his better field of vision and allows him not to have to have glasses post-cataracts.

And welcome back peterf
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager