Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: His MOTHER?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    How about when you can't tell if the person is a man or woman?
    you say hi and ask their name and which gender pronouns they prefer
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

"How do you prefer to be addressed?" goes wrong less often than others I've used.

General rule: Always cut any estimate of a woman's age in half. Always double the age of any child. If you have to check ID for a senior discount, fib and say you need to see if they are over 21. You may still stick your foot in it, but most people with a shred of decency will appreciate the gentle humor.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRainman View Post
    How about when you can't tell if the person is a man or woman?
    Then ask for your $50 back.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    more than once i've had to take my lil bros to the dr and i am typically called mom by the new nurse/secretary. or just when i am out in public AND our mom is with us i get complimented on how i am such a great mom to the boys. i just say "yea... maybe one day but for now, i am playing with my SIBLINGS"
    when the 16yr old was born we took him out a few months later to visit family. he was crying in the carseat and i was trying to calm him down. one of the little girls in the neighborhood came up and said "oh he is cute! is that your baby?" i totally freaked but i guess a sign of the times!
    I always got so angry when people just assumed my age. I was 20 when my daughter was born but always looked 6 or 7 years younger. I never was a makeup person and was a bit of a tomboy.

Random people would walk up and say "oh it must be so hard to go to school and take care of a baby". This happened until my 30's. Even now when I tell people I have a 24 year old daughter they assume I was 12 when I had her. A doctor was the latest to assume that and she had my birthdate right in front of her.

But I always won a prize at the "guess your age" booth on the Boardwalk at Myrtle Beach. They could never guess it.

I think it is a compliment that you get comments on what a great mother you are even if it is a little presumptuous of the commenter. I see so many mothers ignore their kids for cell phones these days and it pisses me off. The kids are screaming for just a little attention and they get ignored.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

more than once i've had to take my lil bros to the dr and i am typically called mom by the new nurse/secretary. or just when i am out in public AND our mom is with us i get complimented on how i am such a great mom to the boys. i just say "yea... maybe one day but for now, i am playing with my SIBLINGS"
    when the 16yr old was born we took him out a few months later to visit family. he was crying in the carseat and i was trying to calm him down. one of the little girls in the neighborhood came up and said "oh he is cute! is that your baby?" i totally freaked but i guess a sign of the times!
    I get that too. When my brother and I take our baby nephew out, people always assume he's my son when they tell me that my son (nephew) has super long eyelashes. They also think my brother is my husband. My brother and I always let out a "uhhh no".
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

To Zilla, I can imagine how you felt. I'm certain it was no reflection on your appearance, but a thoughtless assumption on her part.

Once, my large family had traveled to a reunion. I was checking into the motel with my dad and the clerk thought we were married! I was of a young enough age to be totally offended but my dad thought it was a hoot!

My Dad and I got that too, truly. I was given an off base pass the night before graduation from basic training like all who had family coming. We were also told to wear the civilian clothes that most of us arrived in so our dress uniforms were ready to go the following day. So off to dinner with my Mom and Dad and then Mom went to bed early and Dad and I hit the hotel bar. After a few minutes I knew something was weird about the people at the bar. Dad saw me look up that way and asked if one was my DI. No, but he got that weird feeling too. Anyhoo..soon I headed to the ladies room and had to go by the bar on my way out. When I came back I guess my trying not to laugh didn't escape Dad. "What's up?" When you went to Mobile or NOLA on leave you ever run into Shore Patrol? He looked at them and "MPs? But they're not in uniformmm....hhmmmm. OH!" LOL Undercover cops and CID and other LEOs are known for wearing cheap shoes with suits. We both cracked up. When I went back the following morning at 5am my DI asked how my night off was and "fine, other than my Dad was mistaken for being a john. My john." The DI laughed and asked where we stayed. He actually said something about passing that up the chain because the rather nice Ramada Inn back then was not on any off limits list or known among the cadre as that kind of place.

Zilla, was she perhaps joking? I asked a few questions once and was referred to as Dr Sue.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

She absolutely was not joking, and my son was not along. And if Chad had two functioning legs, she 100000% would have seen me as his wife. It was because he is in chair that she assumed I was his mother. Bitch.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    She absolutely was not joking, and my son was not along. And if Chad had two functioning legs, she 100000% would have seen me as his wife. It was because he is in chair that she assumed I was his mother. Bitch.
    yup. how did the surgery go?
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

yup. how did the surgery go?
    He can see 20/20 in both eyes and the world is in vivid color!!!! He is absolutely THRILLED.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager