Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: t12 bone burst and terrified

Yeah I get little spasms and like electric shocks all over my legs. I can't get my head wrapped around living like this. I feel like I'm working and waiting to be normal again. When I start to think I won't I start to flip out. How am I gonna pay bills and I doubt my gf sticks around. Activities with my kids aren't the same and I fkn hate this!! How is an injury like this even fkn possible? Losing it... I just need leg braces quick.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post

Do you have spasms? I get little ones and usually it is just a painful twitch.
    If these are in flaccid muscles, they are most probably fasciculations (muscle twitches) and not spasms.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy View Post
    I had my accident before Asia scores so I have never had a doctor mention what mine is or was.
    The original ASIA tool has been around since 1982, and was preceded by the Frankel scale.

http://www.sci-info-pages.com/levels.html

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If these are in flaccid muscles, they are most probably fasciculations (muscle twitches) and not spasms.

The original ASIA tool has been around since 1982, and was preceded by the Frankel scale.

http://www.sci-info-pages.com/levels.html

(KLD)
    In the early 1990's, when I co-chaired the committee that helped define the currently accepted ASIA Classification, there was no single definition of level, completeness of injury, or classification.
    From your link....so I guess I don't understand why 1982 is important. The Frankel scale is nothing like the Asia score. If I am reading that sentence right, before 1990, there was no single definition of level, completeness of injury, or classification.

I asked my doctor why I had never been given an ASIA score and that is what she told me.

Being a LMN injury, I am mostly flaccid except for my internal organs below injury and the painful muscle twitches.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

You definitely have to differentiate between twitches and spasms. I twitch but it is usually after I used my legs alot. After workouts or walking alot. I think they are good. They tell me the muscles are alive.

Spasms are different. Not sure they are so good either. Not from what i have heard from peers anyway.

I have made opinion on ASIA scores well known. Useful but useless.

Chris- Be stoked. Period. Become as functional as you can be at every level and push yourself to jump levels as fast as you can.

Wheelchair- Walker-Crutches-Cane- Get yourself to do as much as possible at every stage and you will be good to go no matter what. Peace!

Check this out. markflounlacker.blogspot.com. It ain't over my man. Own it. I still have more fun and do more shit than anyone I know strangley enough except for maybe the few paras I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    Check this out. markflounlacker.blogspot.com. It ain't over my man. Own it. I still have more fun and do more shit than anyone I know strangley enough except for maybe the few paras I know.
    Listen to Mr. MFlounlacker. Don't give up on getting back as much as you can. Regardless, life is not over. Maybe just Chris version 2.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
    I can't get my head wrapped around living like this. I feel like I'm working and waiting to be normal again. When I start to think I won't I start to flip out. How am I gonna pay bills and I doubt my gf sticks around. Activities with my kids aren't the same and I fkn hate this!! How is an injury like this even fkn possible? Losing it... I just need leg braces quick.
    You can't rely on what you hope will happen, learn to use what you got and work to gain strength. If you keep going back to this type of attitude of feeling sorry for yourself, you GF will most likely leave you. Regardless of injury or not, who wants to put up with that shit? What kind of example you setting for you kids? You have it much better than most of us in here, at least it sounds like you have more possibility for return than many of us.
    You need to learn more about your injury, stuff will change a lot in the first years with things coming and going, just part of the course.

Yeah they're more like quick twitches and lightning bolts. MFlounlacker I enjoy reading your posts on that blog, and I appreciate what you have to say on my thread. You sound like a cool mfkr and I listen to you.

As far as my negative attitude goes... I fell off a lil bit. I started off way stronger than this and am def back on track. One thing I DONT do is show my lows to my sons. I keep that shit to myself for my gf as as well, I'm not stupid. I shouldn't have expressed negativity on here either, the fear of the unknown is driving me nuts and its hard to shake that sht off sometimes. Won't happen again...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
    I shouldn't have expressed negativity on here either, the fear of the unknown is driving me nuts and its hard to shake that sht off sometimes. Won't happen again...
    That is what this website is for. Because if you don't share it somewhere, it will eat away at you from the inside. I think we have all at one time or another saw this.

It's very hard to keep up a front all the time. But in and out is okay as long you can get out of it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Chris74 Hey its OK to vent and your right it is a very scary and upsetting time in your life. We face a lot of the same thoughts, like how am I going to make a living, and what now? Some time I used to look at what is the worst that is going to happen. Lets see, I live in a wheel chair the rest of my life, ( guess I can do that, lots of people here live in chairs and are OK)check. I'm at 27 months post injury and at this point life has mellowed out a lot. But in between where you are and a couple of years from now there will be alot of changes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not life and death, just some very big life changes. Just keep working what muscles work, and try to relax as much as possible, it will be OK you'll see, just give it some time.

KDL thanks for increasing my vocabulary with the word "fasciculations". I kind of use this for my calf muscles. I have nothing below my knees but if I get my feet just right I can get fasciculations going and it has kept my one calf bigger then the other. Is this right, having one knee bounce up and down about 20 minuets a day, can this get the muscle to get some work?
    Last edited by flying; 03-26-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old