Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: t12 bone burst and terrified

Quote Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
    Hey can I make afo's work if I can't feel or move my calves, ankles, or feet?
    Yes you can. I have really good movement in my knees but nothing in the ankles or feet. If you don't get any movement back in the ankles, they will put you in a static AFO which doesn't move at the ankle at all. If you get some reflex back in the ankle, they will do a hinge on the AFO.

I walked many years with just AFO's but I am back to using a cane now.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I jus don't understand why I got most of my L segments but ain't reaching my S segments. Drivin me nuts!! Could it be because of swelling?
    Because lots of time your injury level does not equal you function level. I have a break at T12 and a crush injury to L1 and L2 but my function level is an S1.

I never got the Sacral function back. But I have L2 and L3 which is where the crush for me is. I have the front part of my thighs but I don't have S1 to S5.

L1 to L5. The cutaneous dermatome representating the hip girdle and groin area is innervated by L1 spinal cord. L2 and 3 cover the front part of the thighs. L4 and L5 cover medial and lateral aspects of the lower leg.
    S1 to S5. S1 covers the heel and the middle back of the leg. S2 covers the back of the thighs. S3 cover the medial side of the buttocks and S4-5 covers the perineal region. S5 is of course the lowest dermatome and represents the skin immediately at and adjacent to the anus.

http://www.sci-info-pages.com/levels.html
    I don't want to discourage you but just be prepared in case your Sacral nerves don't come back. It just depends on how bad the initial injury was. There really seems to be no two injuries the same.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

As we often must say here, don't confuse your fractures (if any) and your actual neurologic cord level of injury. Especially in the lower cord, there can be quite a difference.

While it is not necessary to have an ASIA (now called the ISNCSCI) exam, knowing your exam scores (sensory and motor) and your AIS type (A,B,C,D, or E) makes it easier to see what return you have had since your initial injury, and makes it easier for both you and your physician to anticipate and manage problems associated with specific types of injuries.

(KLD)

Same here, I have the fronts of my thighs but not the back. Struggling with this crap bad.

Hey just take it one day at a time. I did not start to get back the front of my thighs until 7 to 8 months post injury, and still have nothing below the knees. How are your Gluts doing?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Which ones are glutes? I know it doesn't matter but they told me I was Asia D when I lft inpatient rehab. Going back to out patient starting Wed.

Flutes my butt muscles? I got the outside like going to my hips but not the bulk of my butt. Flaccid like the back of my thighs and calves. Ridiculous, I got the front of my legs and nothing on the back. Can feel the inside of my ankles but not the outside.

I think I was told or read on Dr. Wise's post that sensation is likely not to return but movement can on the lower injuries. My sensation has not changed too much. I have good on the front all the way to my toes and bad on the butt, backs of legs, and bottom of feet.

I have had awesome motor return so you take the good with the bad.

Flutes my butt muscles? I got the outside like going to my hips but not the bulk of my butt. Flaccid like the back of my thighs and calves. Ridiculous, I got the front of my legs and nothing on the back. Can feel the inside of my ankles but not the outside.
    This is exactly my injury too. It gets really painful on the insides of my ankles. At times I can't stand for anything to touch the inner leg from the knee to my big toe. But my feet are numb except for the neuropathic burning. The backs of my legs don't burn or anything, they are just numb with a few electric shocks every now and then. I have had numerous burns on the backs of my legs. One time it was because the bath water was too hot another time, standing too close to the campfire.

Do you have spasms? I get little ones and usually it is just a painful twitch.

My sensation hasn't changed much since the first 6 months but movement has.

I had my accident before Asia scores so I have never had a doctor mention what mine is or was.

This is a very old book but it helped me.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=8011314

Overcoming Paralysis: Out of the Wheelchair and Into the Water

by Igor Burdenko, Ph.D., Scott Biehler

I got mine at Amazon.com

It gives specific exercises to promote muscle return.

It might help while you are waiting on your braces.