Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: t12 bone burst and terrified

t12 bone burst and terrified

I'm 2 months post injury and am still missing all of my sacral segments. Is it possible for them or at least some of them to still come back? I can move my hips, front of my thighs and knees but not my ankles or toes. Can't even feel my feet. I can tell when I have to pee but can't hold it and when I go its only around 100ml. Does having this much this early mean I might get more?

Are you rehabbing in a pool?

You have lots of function to possibly gain. I still only feel pressure/burning in my feet. It was a few months before I could feel that. But I have no movement in my feet/ankles.

My bladder is the same as yours. I can feel pressure and I can push it out but I cannot hold it in. I am injured 24 years and I have alot of burning in my bladder now.

You have lots of potential return so don't give up. You have to exercise those muscles. Every injury is different.

I would say the answer to your question is YES. You can get return up to five or even more years.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Yes..you should definitely work on what you do have...move what you got
    I can speak about the sacral segments but I had a t12 break, I was walking with a walker in the hospital...my injury was 07/11...I'm not running or anything but walking plenty and going to the gym lots. Back to working full time and I even recently lost 6lbs :0)
    You'll notice even the smallest stuff can change...stay positive!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

No, I haven't been in a pool. I find out Monday if I can take this body brace off so then I can go back to rehab to practice leg braces. The muscles in my legs that are firing actually I've had for like 5 weeks and that's what worries me. I got those groups fast and nothing since. My bladder changed about 3 weeks ago. In the hospital it would hold over 1000ml, now its seldom over 300ml when I cath. Anything over that is when I get the I gotta go sensation. But only 100 or less comes out and leaves the 300 still in my bladder. Does this mean its trying to wake up? My legs are gaining strength, I pulled myself up to the kitchen sink and they held me up but no balance. Can't wait for leg braces, I want up bad. But since I haven't seen anything new fire I'm freaking out...

My bladder has gotten a lot better over time. I never started the cath after I went home. I wore diapers for awhile (that sucked). my Urologist said I wasn't emptying and was surely the reason why I'd had accidents. He said I would most likely have to cath but on a whim put me on Flomax. it helps me empty, but I was still having accidents from time to time. They just started me on another pill to counteroffer the Flomax..so I don't empty Soo much I guess. I recently went to another doctor who is going to do some tests then send me to rehab for my pelvic floor muscles...Soo happy for that!!
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Counter effect ;0)

Yeah I'm bout sick of these diapers too!! I cath and like 2hrs later I have to pee again its ridiculous. Then every half hour til I cath again I hate it. Will be better when I get braces and can stand up and even get to the toilet!!lol

I hope the leg braces work. All the what ifs and unknowns are making me insane!!

Hi Chris74 you just have to give it some time, your way early in the game to know what you will get back. I'm T12 L1 and my surgeon told me that I would know what I would get back at 18 months, but the rehab doctor said I would get most of what return I was going to get in the first six months. Well I just got a nice bit of return at 25 months, and at six months I had very little return, which of course made me think that was that, and I was all worried about it. So just chill out and keep moving what you can move. And if your legs can hold you up at 2 months your doing pretty damn good. As for the bladder, that changes over time as well, just make sure that you are emptying it out when you go, even if you have to cath to do it.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Chris74 View Post
    No, I haven't been in a pool. I find out Monday if I can take this body brace off so then I can go back to rehab to practice leg braces. The muscles in my legs that are firing actually I've had for like 5 weeks and that's what worries me. I got those groups fast and nothing since. My bladder changed about 3 weeks ago. In the hospital it would hold over 1000ml, now its seldom over 300ml when I cath. Anything over that is when I get the I gotta go sensation. But only 100 or less comes out and leaves the 300 still in my bladder. Does this mean its trying to wake up? My legs are gaining strength, I pulled myself up to the kitchen sink and they held me up but no balance. Can't wait for leg braces, I want up bad. But since I haven't seen anything new fire I'm freaking out...
    Where are you rehabbing? Even in 1989, I was in the pool with brace on. I had AFO's before I went home. My accident was in May and I was home by the first week of July.

Your bladder is waking up. You have to retrain it. You may get some back and maybe not. I think half of mine works and half doesn't. Several urologists have disagreed over the years as to whether I have a neurogenic bladder but the most recent and most experienced of them all said definitely yes.

I was walking home in my "turtle brace" and AFO's which is why I am wondering why you are waiting to get back into rehab. You really want to work those muscles as soon and as much as possible. I was in my brace for six months for the herrington rods to settle. My surgeon removed them a year later which if you poll here is not typical.

Don't give up, you can do this.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown