Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: hospital stay

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    apparently, according to hospital staff and my doc, the 23 hr medicare "rule" isn't exactly true. they gave me paperwork stating observation status, i dunno, maybe daisy knows more? anyway, my colon is good.
    As an observation status, they can only admit a patient for 23 hours on paper starting from the time they put you in the system. You can stay up to 48 hours but the hospital only gets paid for that 23 hour observation stay. They have to be converted by doctor orders BEFORE the patient leaves the hospital. That is where most hospitals are missing the boat...getting that timed/signed order.

The local hospital here is in some deep hot water for 0 day stays.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/02/...ons-about.html

Yes it is the rule....23 hours that is and it is being used wrong as lots more fines are coming down this year. You are considered outpatient for those 23 hours. You will be billed as such based on your part B Medicare. It will probably cost more YOU more as an outpatient than if you had just been admitted for one day. Another way M'Care passes the bill on to YOU the beneficiary.

For an inpatient stay, YOU pay a set amount. For outpatient stays, YOU pay a percentage of Medicare allowable charges.

It is that same thinking by your doctor that WakeMed is in such deep shiiite. LOL

The judge was curious how the false billing was confined to Medicare and did not affect privately insured patients.
    Gilmore explained that private insurers insist on approving inpatient procedures in advance. The federal government does not.

Lots of fraud going on in Medicare. But they just make new rules to combat the fraud that really hurt the patients instead of the hospitals.
    Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 03-20-2013 at 11:39 AM.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Here is a good read about observation status.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7A21ST20111103

If you have to go to skilled nursing for all those chronic ailments, Medicare stipulates that you have to have a "qualifying 3 day stay" in a hospital in order for MEDICARE to pay for that skilled nursing stay.

Many Many sick people are being refused.

The thing is you have to have acute signs and symptoms to be admitted to inpatient and most don't meet admission criteria for the inpatient "3 day qualifying stay".
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Got ya wrapped up tight in my arms Cass and burning the morning sage with the wifts drifting towards you.

aw patrick. thank you.

daisy, head nurse, social worker, doc consulted them. they said no worries. now i'm worried.

The throat is easy. When they say swallow, do so. Simple as that! Maybe next week you can talk me off the colonoscopy phobia ledge?

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    The throat is easy. When they say swallow, do so. Simple as that! Maybe next week you can talk me off the colonoscopy phobia ledge?
    same advice betheny! when they say swallow (the colonoscopy crap), swallow real fast! it's nasty! and the mess it makes! the colonoscopy itself is nothing.

They ought to have a vacuum for colonoscopy preparation. Make life much simpler than swallowing all that garbage.

I hope all is going well.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Talking

Oh and also make sure they don't use the same scope for both procedures
    T-10 ,,1980,,

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    so...i check in hospital sunday for colonoscopy prep. i am also having endoscopy which really worries me as i feel something in my throat. anyway, 3 calls from hospital nurses in 2 days. different story. i am very apprehensive but they need to look down my throat. so...could y'all just send good thoughts? won't have net access. thank you.
    The throat is a breeze due to the wonders of drugs like verset. Sending you good vibes and positive thoughts.
    Every day I wake up is a good one