Thread: Indiana medicaid, catheters

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Indiana medicaid, catheters

Is there anyone here with Indiana Medicaid? And if so, where do you get your catheters?

I'm new to cathing. My urologist gave me a supply to get me started with, and recommended 180 medical. They sent me some free samples, but then said with Indiana medicaid they had to refer me elsewhere and gave me the info for Binson's. Binson's asked if I tried "the other" place for Indiana which is J&B Medical, I haven't called them yet.

I requested free samples online for some different catheters to try. I really liked the speedicath compact, and so a bunch of my friends also requested free samples of them to give me... I'm nearly out of catheters in general and need to place an order somewhere. I've only tried various regular straight caths, hydrophillic coated, and the speedicath compact. I have dexterity issues with my hands from peripheral nerve damage and muscle issues and struggle with the length of the straight caths. My hand shakes and I have trouble guiding it and frequently end up touching the catheter to somewhere before I actually get it in my urethra, so I'm a bit paranoid about giving myself a UTI. With the compact its a bit shorter in general, and I think having part to hold that isn't flexible helps me guide it better. With the hydrophillic I get a bit of burning when I remove the catheter, but feel nothing going in. With lubed catheters it burns going in. This may be due to my having trouble getting the catheter well lubed, with the shaky hands and trying to not touch too far down its really awkward and I think I probably end up with either not enough lube, or I've got too much and sometimes it will fall off the catheter or transfer onto me when I bump somewhere before finding my urethra. Since I'm so new to cathing I'm sure part of this is also technique difficulty and will get better with time.

Binson's doesn't carry speedicath compact, or any hydrophillic straight caths. They said they do carry a hydrophillic in a closed system. I haven't tried a closed system yet, not sure if that would be even more difficult for me, or maybe easier since I wouldn't have to also be sitting on the toilet while working things out?

So, ideally I'd like to find somewhere that takes Indiana medicaid and has speedicath compact. Next I'd at least like to stick with hydrophillic catheters. Any opinions on if a closed system might be easier or harder to use? I'm going to call J & B to see what they carry. But I wonder if there are more places out there.

Unfortunately I have to figure out something soon before I run out, I stupidly waited until the last minute here. I'm going to ask some friend that sent me some if she has any more extra she could part with, and another one what she uses and if she could send me any to try.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Binsons is where all my monthly supplies come from, I have Indiana Medicaid.

I was NOT impressed with them, the nurse I spoke to on the phone didn't even know what a hydrophilic catheter was!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I get mine from Heartland. Im not on Medicaid but they take whatever my insurance pays, and I get them for free. Their number is 888-270-2353.

What about Byram? I'm on Medicare + private insurance in a different state, but they always get me my ostomy supplies in a timely manner. I think they have a warehouse in Indiana or Illinois, too - which means the supplies would come to you quickly and without much "climate shock."

(My opinion: better to get ostomy supplies somewhere where the climate is similar, as moving from a hot to cold (or vice versa) climate is hard on the adhesive).

Hope that helps!
    Mystery

With Medicaid you have to use a Medicaid provider, someone who accepts (has the contract for it) Indiana (or insert your state) Medicaid as a primary insurance. For anyone who has Medicare or private insurance you're going to have a completely different list of available companies. I've called tons over the time I've used catheters, including ones who advertised on TV or online that they accepted Indiana medicaid (they did, but only as a secondary with Medicare as the primary). I tried all over again after my suprapubic surgery this past September since my products changed and there were some specific ones I needed, but not in the Medicaid contracts it seemed so I had to get creative. And I've only found 2 companies, binsons and jb. And each also refers to the other one as "the other Medicaid company" which further supports that no others exist.

This is the company I have been using for the last four years and have nothing but great luck. I do not know how they handle Medicaid claims as far as full payment, but they take what my BC&BS provider pays as payment in full.

Summit Express Medical Supply • 277 Indian Head Road, Kings Park, NY 11754
    New York Office: 631-269-6233 • Fax: 631-269-6230 • Sales Offices: Massachusetts & Missouri
    email: steve@summitexpressmed.com