Thread: dumb about tablet computers

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

dumb about tablet computers

I just bought a kindle fire hd. I can not understand why I need apps and why don't I just do a google search like I always did on my pc. Click on the Weather Channel web page and it runs, check on my bank page and click it's on.

Do I need to buy apps now to see the Weather Channel? What about my bank. Do I need to somehow put on AVG Anti-virus also?
    Sorry.

So confused. One thing though, man this tablet is very cool. So easy to type on as a quad with a stylus. This will be great in bed as it is so light and I don't need a light on to see. Hope to use the camera to check on my butt. Wonder why the camera dosen't need a flash bulb or something.

Foresters of a certain age were a little behind the 8 ball when one day they landed on our desks. My District Forester and the Assistant were sitting quietly staring at the monitor when I walked in. Like little kids they were embarased and somewhat confused when some game came on loudly. I just turned and walked away. I had already bought my own pc because I knew this was comming.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-15-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Great post! I got one for Christmas and still haven't figured out the app world. I've seen a couple apps that would make nice med or bathroom reminders. Also love that it's so light weight and finally got the hang of the touch pad. But, it runs too slow and the router has to be moved. In the meantime, since I can see my reflection in the screen, I refer to it as my shiny, web capable compact mirror.

I've wondered if it's safe to input credit card info for purchasing on it OR do you need an app for that?

Hope you get some good suggestions for apps on this thread!
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

Blog Entries
    I had the original Kindle Fire, and never had any problems with them having my CC number for payments. Many apps are free, so go ahead to the App Store and try out a few. some will give you additional functionality for a few additional bucks, but I'd get used to the basics before buying anything. The apps are made especially for the tablet market and work better than using the web browser.

Most of the things you want to do have a free app, like facebook, Youtube, Weather Channel, and a host of others. I use the free version of Dr Web antivirus, and have never gotten a virus. The only thing you have to be careful of is getting your apps only from the App Store, not by downloading it from a site you may find online.

The original Fire does not have a camera, so I cannot comment on that. If you read a lot, the Kindle reader is great, and most libraries now have a way to download books to your tablet for free. You can also borrow 1 book a month from the Kindle Owners lending Library for free, and there are a lot of books that are out of copyright - I re-read a bunch of books that I read as a young man in high school - and enjoyed them this time
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I've got an iPad 2, I love this thing, I even take it to bed every night just in case and it usually does happen something I forgot, or want to check comes to mind. And it links to my other computers in the house, I've become an electronic pig....

I have the original Kindle Fire and love it. I use the weather app - with it being preset to my zip code all I need to do for the forecast is just tap the icon. The apps help do things quicker. I started out with a palm pilot back in the days when they had monochromatic screens so going into the tablet has been a natural transition for me. I take mine to bed with me at night too. If all else fails and I wake up in the middle of the night like I usually do and can't go back to sleep I watch Netflix.

Generally you do not save your credit card information in your tablet. My bank does have an app that I have used but it is like checking into your account on line.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I had a kindle also, gave it to niece. I waited years for e-readers to come down in price. As soon as it hit 250 bucks I saved money and requested cash for christmas/ birthday then bought it. I did not like that I had to have a light on to read as I usualy fall asleep and need to wake back up to turn off the light.

It was very good, specialy as a quad I can not handle pages well but before long everything exploded. Now it costs about 80 bucks.

The tablet will be much better as it is larger, is back lit and I can enlarge the type enough to not wear glasses. The kindle did also but the screen was only a paragraph and ruined the tempo of reading by changing pages so often.

I will add some apps to see how they work and then branch out. Like Donno, I have done the same but I'll be dammed if I read the Scarlet Letter again.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Like Donno, I have done the same but I'll be dammed if I read the Scarlet Letter again.
    I hear ya on The Scarlet Letter, but I did enjoy A Tale of Two Cities this time...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury