Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: shower bench question....

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    But how do you transfer onto it? Does the seat rotate so that you can transfer more easily from outside the tub? Could someone standing outside the tub easily "sit down" on it without stepping into the tub, and step off it back into the bathroom when you are done?

How nice to take a bath... I think he would love it. But he would never buy that. Way too expensive. He will complain about a $50 shower chair and will look for the cheapest thing he can find... ugh....
    Yes, yes and yes. The sides fold up when it is descending into the bath ... this folding section rests on the edge of the tub so essentially I'm sitting on the edge of the tub. One could easily pivot and move their legs in/out. The only different is the shower bench doesn't hang out of the tub now.

My employer's insurance won't cover anything in the bathroom (thank you expensive medical products and the last generation who maybe abused the priveleges of having work insurance) ... so I picked mine up on kijiji.ca for $200 cold hard cash. It had only been used 3x.

The sucking part about aging with paralysis is compromise; having to accept those little technological advances (yes, handicrap) in order to have a better quality of life. A hard lesson learned by this paraplegic - it's taken almost the entire 28yrs for that one.

This one's a little more advanced than the one I have but you can see how it works:

Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by nofuss View Post
    Hey hih, like your dad I’m grumpy, old, hate med equipment and walk some too.

A small bathroom can be good. Lots close by to reach for. Years ago in mine I installed a stainless towel bar just outside the shower with big-screw mounts set deeply into underlying studs – same with a thick stainless steel shower-curtain rod. Expensive stuff but I can grab either without worry. The overhead shower rod is particularly useful as I can grab it when easing my questionably-balanced 6’2” down or up from a kneeling position or shower chair sitting position. Not ideal but it works for me.

When showering standing (which I favor when very confident), I always drop to the bench, partially towel off then, still seated, swing the legs out to a floor towel to finish up and stand with the help of the towel rod and/or counter which is near-enough to lean to. I NEVER step directly out of the shower anymore – the momentum could destroy me and/or the bathroom!

No water about to slip on, I step on out along the counter and wall to the hall and the chair – which can’t get into the bathroom because I spec’d that particular door too narrow years back when the house was built and I wasn’t what I am now – if all that makes any sense.

One day, I’ll probably have to widen it.

Your dad may need back support but if he doesn’t – like you say – a simple shower chair might work just fine, won’t interfere with the curtain and stows away quickly when desired.
    Hey grumpy! Great to hear about you. My father is also tall like you, which makes the sitting down/rising to stand all the more exciting.

What worries me about the small shower chairs are that they look like they would flip if you don't sit down on them slowly, and perfectly centered. Can you actually sit down on one "sideways" while your feet are still outside the tub and then turn around while seated? That looks like potentially pretty uncomfortable (or unstable...) to sit down on sideways. My Dad also tends to "plop" down sometimes... if you know what I mean. Not terrible if you are plopping onto a Roho in a wheelchair or into a Lazy boy, but problematic if you are plopping onto a very low, hard plastic, small seat in the shower... sideways.

I like your idea about strategically placing grab bars to help in getting up from the tub. He will probably refuse that.... but I will take a look to see what options we have. We have two long grab bars in the tub, but they are too far inside to help getting out. It is just tricky when you need to get your arms into crutches to stand...... He can't even take one step without an assistance device.

You bring up another good point about small bathrooms... we complain because it is hard to turn around in it or to get a walker or wheelchair in, but while sitting on the toilet he can reach the sink, and all of his supplies etc.. easily.

Thanks for all of your input. I wish my Dad lived near you so you could could share your ideas and grumpiness.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Yes, yes and yes. The sides fold up when it is descending into the bath ... this folding section rests on the edge of the tub so essentially I'm sitting on the edge of the tub. One could easily pivot and move their legs in/out. The only different is the shower bench doesn't hang out of the tub now.

My employer's insurance won't cover anything in the bathroom (thank you expensive medical products and the last generation who maybe abused the priveleges of having work insurance) ... so I picked mine up on kijiji.ca for $200 cold hard cash. It had only been used 3x.

The sucking part about aging with paralysis is compromise; having to accept those little technological advances (yes, handicrap) in order to have a better quality of life. A hard lesson learned by this paraplegic - it's taken almost the entire 28yrs for that one.

This one's a little more advanced than the one I have but you can see how it works:

Thank you for this additional info Lynnifer. It does sound like a more accessible chair/bench then I realized. What a great deal you got!! I will keep this item in mind as I am scanning online for deals.

If you can believe it, my father purposefully refuses to make things more accessible in his home or to use a safer option most of the time.... his rationale being that the WORLD is not accessible so he needs to be able to survive in the WORLD by practicing doing things the harder way. If falls are part of it, so be it.

All I can say is.... ugh.

I was the same way for two decades. Pride and stubbornness ... if he's Catholic, maybe use that against him. lol
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

If you can believe it, my father purposefully refuses to make things more accessible in his home or to use a safer option most of the time.... his rationale being that the WORLD is not accessible so he needs to be able to survive in the WORLD by practicing doing things the harder way. If falls are part of it, so be it.

All I can say is.... ugh.
    Is he responsive to the "inconveniencing others" argument? Like, "Dad, by refusing to use assistive devices and be safe, you're inconveniencing me and other family members and the paramedics and hospital staff who have to patch you up"?

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I was the same way for two decades. Pride and stubbornness ... if he's Catholic, maybe use that against him. lol
    You got it - pride and stubborness.

Lapsed Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Is he responsive to the "inconveniencing others" argument? Like, "Dad, by refusing to use assistive devices and be safe, you're inconveniencing me and other family members and the paramedics and hospital staff who have to patch you up"?

Unfortunately, not. If I said something like that, he would get very angry and accuse me of manipulation/blackmail etc.. We just wait for the emergency... trying our best to prevent it. We've done pretty well so far, but it is A LOT of work. Unappreciated, resented work....

Unfortunately, not. If I said something like that, he would get very angry and accuse me of manipulation/blackmail etc.. We just wait for the emergency... trying our best to prevent it. We've done pretty well so far, but it is A LOT of work. Unappreciated, resented work....
    Maybe stop doing it? How far does your responsibility to save him from himself go? (Just playing Devil's advocate here, I don't know enough about your situation to offer actual advice.)

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Maybe stop doing it? How far does your responsibility to save him from himself go? (Just playing Devil's advocate here, I don't know enough about your situation to offer actual advice.)

If only it was that simple...

Hey grumpy! Great to hear about you. My father is also tall like you, which makes the sitting down/rising to stand all the more exciting.

What worries me about the small shower chairs are that they look like they would flip if you don't sit down on them slowly, and perfectly centered. Can you actually sit down on one "sideways" while your feet are still outside the tub and then turn around while seated? That looks like potentially pretty uncomfortable (or unstable...) to sit down on sideways. My Dad also tends to "plop" down sometimes... if you know what I mean. Not terrible if you are plopping onto a Roho in a wheelchair or into a Lazy boy, but problematic if you are plopping onto a very low, hard plastic, small seat in the shower... sideways. ...
    Hummpf –damn kids – trying to be helpful!!

Human nature is indeed a bitch. Times when I occasionally act a bit cranky over a simple helping hand from a family member or stranger I realize almost right away I've just succeeded in being an ass, a turn-off, destroyed a good little moment ... but by then it's too late and all the Old Man has done again is acted the fool, put a chink in his own armor. But I'm better at dumping The Ego now, mostly control the grumps and frowns, deliver thankyous and smiles even when help is not necessarily wanted or needed.

ANYWAY ... on the stool thing. I bent one of the four crappy aluminum legs when using the thing out in the garden a few years back. Weak legs landing on it hard, dragging it around while sitting on it etc, it still lives, still works fine within the confines of the tub – tho I wouldn't dare plant me arse on it out in the open anymore. Bottom line, these cheap little things are pretty tough long as a body doesn't weigh more than, say 180 pounds.

... He can't even take one step without an assistance device[/B]. ...
    That does make it tougher, certainly makes it harder to put on a smile, but he's gotta try for the both of you. Hope things turn.