Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Roho Cushion

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Roho cushions are good, but when they fail, they fail.
    Exactly the reason to carry a spare in your car.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Exactly the reason to carry a spare in your car.
    Your absolutely right. Good safety tip. I had the pump, but on car trips from now on, the cushion comes along. Guess I should take a spare when I fly too, (and maybe I should carry one on my lap when I take BART into the city--just being flip, pay no attention--in bed for 7 days and I'm a bit owly--my first pressure injury in 31 years in the chair).

Of course, I have been using Roho cushions for 15 years and have had 2 minor leaks that I could fix with Roho patch and now this cushion that got two leaks in one quadrant on the same day. The cushion seemed perfectly fine in the morning when NL checked it out before I got in the chair.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 03-15-2013 at 03:56 PM.

As the partner of someone who is a full-time chair user, I would never feel comfortable not having a backup.

We have 2 high profile cushions and 2 low profile. The 2 high profile expensive cushions. A Varilite Evolution PSV and Synergy Spectrum Air, which was bought used. They are used on the 2 everyday chairs. One is upstairs, the other is downstairs because we have a stair lift. We just got a Supracor Stimulite Silver low profile for using in the shower and in the car and for backup and have an old Jay basic, should all else fail.

Not that you should need to convince your brother, but a *big* argument to having a good backup is that he or others will not need to do the extra care that will be needed if your Roho goes bad and you get a pressure sore and end up in bed for a long time. We just went through that with a hospital acquired pressure sore, and it cost us both dearly. It does not take long to get a pressure sore, as Gingl has said.

Don't wait until your cushion fails to get a backup! If you can get pressure-mapped, why not do it, before choosing a backup cushion? There may be other types you can buy used that are more reliable than a Roho. For example, our backup wheels have solid tires, so I don't have to worry about putting air in them if we have a fault.

Please send this thread to your brother so that he understands. This is not a luxury, but a necessity. We have a backup scenario for almost every situation with the wheelchair, and still I know there will be times that we will be in a fix. I work full-time and can not afford emergencies, and more importantly, I don't want my husband's health to suffer.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I use my Roho cushions for the shower, for the gym in the sauna and swimming, for the car, for sitting on the floor, for patio furniture, for plane trips, and other special uses. But I do not use them for everyday use on my wheelchair for just this reason, a potential flat leading to skin breakdown.

Tom Borcherding, President of the Roho Group has posted on this forum a number of times and has been very helpful to Care Cure Community members.
    He has posted his business email address: tomb@therohogroup.com

It may be worth while to send him an email and ask about the availability of refurbished Roho Cushions.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    The good thing about eBay is that if it arrives and is not exactly as the seller described it, you can get a full refund. I would "Ask the seller a question" and find out how "used" it is. If s/he says like new, you should be good to go.

I have a low profile that I use in my van, and it stays there all of the time, so is not subject to much abuse. Because most of my driving is less than 1/2 hour going shopping and back and forth to school, I do not carry a backup but I can always pull mine off my chair in an emergency.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Buying it

I had a back up from old chair, was stolen from NURSING HOME closet. It has bothered me I haven't had back up. E's. on air cushion. My roho is two years old, has never been repaired or leaked. However, I went from pneumatic tires that I loved to solid tires, because a flat put me out of commission for 6 hours until someone could take it to the bike shop for me.
    Yes, I already had sores when they got me power chair. They got it from special program, for people living in care, who need special equipment. That's how I got my invacre A4 also...otherwise I would be sitting in a 45 lb standard nursing home POS chair the deal with the program is, the vendor sends his order in, once it's approved, there is no changing the order. They should have put some kind of lateral support at my hip, because my legs need it when I tip back, but the vendor just blamed me...I didn't tell him I couldn't control legs. He only saw me in the custom manual, didn't look like I needed them. What part of paralyzed didn't he get? Think I will talk more to brother. I know he said no because we are in midst of paying for leg rest repair, $800 . Thanks for all input.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hmm!!!
    I think there is a lot you need to know about a second hand Roho cushion. I have had my most recent Roho for 3+ years. In the first 3 months, this cushion developed a leak and it was patched with a Roho patch in one of the front quadrants. It has been reliable until recently.

Fast forward to what I am dealing with now. A week ago today, my 3+ year old Roho cushion developed a slow leak in the right rear quadrant. NL and I were 2 hours into a 4 hour road trip when I became autonomic out of no where. We pulled into a rest stop and went through the checklist of what could be causing the autonomy. Everything checked out until NL did the Roho clearance test, and that is when we found the Roho failure. We did not have a spare cushion with us, but we did have the Roho pump. We pumped the cushion up but every 20-30 minutes thereafter, we had to stop and pump up the cushion until we go home. I developed what appeared to be a deep tissue injury, but hopefully, the sore I have (the absolute first one I have had in 31 years) is not as bad as it first looked.

I've been in bed for 7 days and it looks like I have dodged a bullet of a very bad pressure sore, but I've got a long way to go before the ischium is going to allow me to be in the chair. Ironically, I have had a new Roho cushion on order, but it will take another 3 weeks before it arrives...such is the process of insurance approval and delivery for use.

Roho cushions are good, but when they fail, they fail. I have an older Roho cushion that will be my back up, because it has fewer issues than this newer one that just failed.

When it comes to used cushions, Caveat Emptor, buyer beware.

All the best,
    GJ
    GJ,

Let's get you squared away with either a ROHO Certified replacement or pushing through your new ROHO order so you have a ROHO Cushion you can rely on when you get back up in your chair. I'm sorry to hear that you have spent the past week in bed, and sorry that you experienced the problem you did with your QUADTRO Cushion.

Please send me an email with the best phone number to reach you so we can talk and figure out the best action to take to get you the ROHO replacement you need.

Hope you are up and active soon!

Tom Borcherding
    The ROHO Group
    tomb@therohogroup.com

Wow, "hat's off" respect for Tom for jumping in on this.

[QUOTE=Tom Borcherding;1671751]Let's get you squared away with either a ROHO Certified replacement.../QUOTE]
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).