Thread: Doctors seek new subjects after first successful cell transplant

Doctors seek new subjects after first successful cell transplant

Doctors seek new subjects after first successful cell transplant

After decades of research, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis has completed its first human cell transplant for a spinal cord injury.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/f...0,207093.story

Finally!!! This is great news. One patient injected, one enrolled, 6 more to be recruited. I just feel really sad for the next 6 recruits as they are not injured yet.

Agreed - anxious to see what happens ... but again, bummed this is not on chronics.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by 2TiRods View Post
    Finally!!! This is great news. One patient injected, one enrolled, 6 more to be recruited. I just feel really sad for the next 6 recruits as they are not injured yet.
    agree...
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

Great news !!
    keep (rolling) Walking

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Dumb question time.

So .. since there are no diagnostic tests that can 'see' actual nerve cells (for lack of a better phrase since I am unedumacated) ... how do they know what has occurred naturally from healing and what has occurred from their intervention with the Schwann cells?

Are they able to mark them .. if so, with dye? I can't imagine that lasts long?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Dumb question time.

So .. since there are no diagnostic tests that can 'see' actual nerve cells (for lack of a better phrase since I am unedumacated) ... how do they know what has occurred naturally from healing and what has occurred from their intervention with the Schwann cells?

Are they able to mark them .. if so, with dye? I can't imagine that lasts long?
    I think (not knowing!!!) that Schwann cells have a different phenotyp than the neurons or axons in the cord. Schwann cells develop and grow when they might integrate in the cord. Therefore I think they will see it on MRI which ones are Schwann cells and which are not. I guess they dont mark them

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Agreed - anxious to see what happens ... but again, bummed this is not on chronics.
    Well that's because Marc Buoniconti and all the other injured people that donated money to the Miami Project are acu.... oh wait.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)