Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering how many peeps on this forum who load and unload their chairs?

TR here, take the wheels off to get it in. Also no fancy back, just the adjustable sling back which weighs a ton less.

I think for the next chair it'll be whatever the latest TR is, with titanium caster stems. I recall that those steel ones in my current chair were rather heavy when I had it broken down.

How would you go anywhere by yourself if you couldnt get your chair in or out by your self ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I think for the next chair it'll be whatever the latest TR is, with titanium caster stems.
    So the TR5?
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    So the TR5?
    Lin's goin' in for the SNAP!

Quote Originally Posted by allenstevens View Post
    How would you go anywhere by yourself if you couldnt get your chair in or out by your self ?
    Van
    Lift (Chair Topper, Out-Rider, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    I do it from a small SUV. Toyota Venza. T-10 complete. I don't think I could do it from the highlander or bigger SUV. The Venza is probably considered more cross-over. I just have big tires and 20 inch wheels so it seems more SUV-ish. Just added a toe package to it too. It's a great car if your looking for a cross-over/SUV, Lynnifer.
    I have a Denali with a Bruno lift, I can get my chair in it from the car but I am hanging way the fuck out of it and it is not something that is easy or that I do a lot. Certainly not as my daily car. I mostly drive my mini cooper when I am by myself. I was more commenting on that we have a mix of people that can walk a couple steps and therefore can have a heavier chair/load it in the back along with people like us that load from inside the car and it is hard to tell who is who in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I imaging we have a mixture of walkers and completes in this thread. If you have to transfer your chair whilst sitting in the driver seat I doubt you are doing it from an SUV.
    I have a lift similar to this http://www.accessunlimited.com/pdfs/...gle%20Fold.pdf
    in my Tahoe. I don't use the lift to lift me up I just use the platform to sit on while I take the wheels off, jump in reach down grab the chair and throw it in the passenger seat.

I haven't dismantled a chair since I sold my Saturn w suicide door a decade and a half ago. My wife and I are chair users, we currently have 2 full sized Ford vans w Braun bifold, platform lifts. Driver and passenger seats in both vans are 6 way power so that we always do gravity transfers, never stressing shoulders. When doing multiple chores in the community one person drives while the other stays up in chair w tiedowns. Sometimes we will do 4 stops and in and outs in community, I cannot picture transferring, taking apart chair, stowing it, etc. My wife wants to get a ZX-1 which will stay in rear of van and be available as needed. I have never been able to make peace w a minivan because having the floor ripped out and rewelded and paying for it just bothers me. We are both able to do fine in a full sized van w standard roofline and no floor mods. One thing I like about this setup is that after transferring from driver seat to chair you can rearrange clothes before getting out - you don't have to be pulling at your crotch in public after transfer.

If I wasn't closing in on 70 I might well want a sedan. I am attracted to classic, restored cars and recently have been looking at old Lincoln Continentals w suicide doors and also at a restored American Motors AMX. I think I would have a hard time w better half trying to close the deal on these, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Also no fancy back, just the adjustable sling back which weighs a ton less.
    I'm with the standard sling back now for almost 28yrs and I was thinking it would be lovely to have something more suitable to a pre-menopausal 40yr old woman .. lol. Have you tried any of them - if so - what did you not like?

Certainly lifting it in/out of my car is a concern ...

But I am getting some pressure from the back of my sling back on an old tailbone area. Since I'm getting a frame replacement for my GTi, I was thinking it would be nice to have new upholstery too as I'm two years overdue for a new cushion.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Stripped ti chair here. 90% of the time i load and unload from subaru legacy.