Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering how many peeps on this forum who load and unload their chairs?

I drive a bmw 335i and load/unload my TR3 several times a day. I have the removeable sideguards which I remove so that I can fold the back down before I load my chair. I also remove my cushion and spinergy's before loading as well. My TR3 fully dressed including my backpack full of stuff weighs 28 pounds.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

I drive a Toyota SUV. I load and unload my chair on my own. Take arm rest off before I get in the car, remove seat and throw it in the back seat, remove wheels and throw them in the back seat, put frame in the seat next to me. Takes about 30 seconds. Working out and staying fit helps with the awkward position we are lifting from. I have a torn rotator cuff and decided against surgery because of the down time. I got an injection over a year ago and haven't had any problem. I work out 4-5 times per week and keep my weight low and arms strong to help with transfers and packing my chair in and out. If my husband and I go somewhere together then he just set the whole chair in the cargo space of my SUV without taking it a part. Works perfectly.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I drag my Quickie 2 folder into the open side doors of my full size van. It has no arm rests, fenders, anti tippers, does have sling seat and back. I leave the wheels on and pull the cushion. I'm not saying it's easy for me, but doable for now. I am able to crawl to the drivers seat from there.

If I want to drive the car, I use the Colours Eclipse. Essentially it's set up the same. From the drivers seat I pull the wheels, and cushion, but in order to get it in I have to pull the casters too. It has button push removable castors, makes it lighter and smaller.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by offroaderswife View Post
    IIf my husband and I go somewhere together then he just set the whole chair in the cargo space of my SUV without taking it a part. Works perfectly.
    Me and my wife do the same thing with her SUV. we hardly ever go out in my car because its too much of a pain loading and unloading my chair.

I drive a Tahoe and load an Icon 4x+ a day

No idea how you guys can stand the strain of lifting 4x's per day up and into an SUV!

I'd like a cross-over for my next vehicle but I haven't really looked closely at one yet. Something like the Ford Edge now that I have the cantilevered chair ... I'll miss my Saturn Ion with its suicide door. Stupid easy and takes seconds.

ETA: Or a 2-door Nissan Altima is anyone is offering. lol
    Last edited by lynnifer; 03-15-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    No idea how you guys can stand the strain of lifting 4x's per day up and into an SUV!

I'd like a cross-over for my next vehicle but I haven't really looked closely at one yet. Something like the Ford Edge now that I have the cantilevered chair ... I'll miss my Saturn Ion with its suicide door. Stupid easy and takes seconds.

ETA: Or a 2-door Nissan Altima is anyone is offering. lol
    I imaging we have a mixture of walkers and completes in this thread. If you have to transfer your chair whilst sitting in the driver seat I doubt you are doing it from an SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I imaging we have a mixture of walkers and completes in this thread. If you have to transfer your chair whilst sitting in the driver seat I doubt you are doing it from an SUV.
    I do it from a small SUV. Toyota Venza. T-10 complete. I don't think I could do it from the highlander or bigger SUV. The Venza is probably considered more cross-over. I just have big tires and 20 inch wheels so it seems more SUV-ish. Just added a toe package to it too. It's a great car if your looking for a cross-over/SUV, Lynnifer.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

I drive a Ford Ranger...and I load my husband's ZR Series 1 chair in the bed of the pickup and then take my wheels and cushion off my chair, fold down the backrest, and load my ZR series 2 chair behind me (using the suicide door) several times a day. When it is just me, I drive the Saturn and load my chair the same way.

Before we had the Ranger, we used to have a Toyota Highlander which I did load across my body several times a day as well. I guess we do what we have to.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

It's a big lift into the Raptor so I use a Bruno lift to get me in, fold my chair and pull it in the back door. Much quicker than taking wheels off of a rigid