Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering how many peeps on this forum who load and unload their chairs?

I have a Quickie GPV and drive a VW GTI and a Fiat Spider.

If your arms and shoulders are strong enough your chair weight doesn't really matter.

I do and I ride a stripped Quickie Q7. No arm rest, tippers or nothing. About 14 pounds without the cushion and tires. Easy to breakdown and stow in my Cadillac Deville.

Icon, loaded into a station wagon 4+ times/day.

I have two Quickie Q7 chairs and I transfer in and out about 5 times a day. I remove the wheels, side guards, cushion and fold the back down for transfers. They both have quick release back rests, but they take more time to remove so I just leave them installed. The chairs are very light. Not too bad on the shoulders. I have a VW Jetta Sportswagen and pull the chair over me and in the front passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    If your arms and shoulders are strong enough your chair weight doesn't really matter.
    Strength alone is not the issue, preservation of shoulder function is. My friend George Gallego (featured here promoting his nonprofit Wheels of Progress and also shown breaking down his Panthera X) is a triathlete and a solid, thick brick of muscle.

I had small but excruciating rotator cuff tear in my left shoulder about 9 years ago. It's about 95+% perfect. I do shoulder presses and lateral raises using weight machines at the gym with no problem because they are controlled movements and my form is precise. Certain non-exercise movements of my left shoulder bring on subtle, non-painful reminders that the joint is not 100% and that I need to be mindful of what positions it gets in. Lifting a chair into a car is not a graceful operation and having the lightest weight chair possible could be the difference -- especially over time -- between shoulders that last years and those that last decades.

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I have a Quickie GPV and drive a VW GTI and a Fiat Spider.

I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all, do not know how much it
    weighs without wheels and have had a mustang and now a second van and a taurus and have always thought the same thing that it would not matter if I was strong enough. When my wife is with me she puts it the car or van for me. If I have time I cycle most of the places I go, one of the things I like about having my attachment....

I drive a 2010 Ford Raptor and pull me TiLite TX folder in the back door. No lifting since it rolls in and no mess since it goes in the back seat not over me in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    I drive a 2010 Ford Raptor and pull me TiLite TX folder in the back door. No lifting since it rolls in and no mess since it goes in the back seat not over me in the front.
    How much of a pullup is it to get into the driver's seat? My husband drives an F150, and I'd hate to have to get into that every day.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all, do not know how much it
    weighs without wheels and have had a mustang and now a second van and a taurus and have always thought the same thing that it would not matter if I was strong enough. When my wife is with me she puts it the car or van for me. If I have time I cycle most of the places I go, one of the things I like about having my attachment....
    Just for frame of reference, my ZR2 is under 23 lbs. with everything: wheels, cushions, locks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Strength alone is not the issue, preservation of shoulder function is. Lifting a chair into a car is not a graceful operation and having the lightest weight chair possible could be the difference -- especially over time -- between shoulders that last years and those that last decades.
    I'm not going to argue with you on that. "Doesn't matter" probably wasn't the right way to phrase it. My only point is that being stronger and keeping your body fit and healthy will have a positive affect on physical durability. I'd rather spend 30min working out every other day than $5000 on a chair that's only 4lbs lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I have the same chair and it is 31 pounds with wheels and all
    That seems like a lot. Is it loaded up with armrests and tippers and push handles and such?